Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #21
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
Your theory is correct but your rotor rpm is off by one order of magnitude. The main rotor speed on most helos is about 330 rpm which is between 5 and 6 revolutions per second. Rotation speed on a Hughes 500 or 530 main rotor such as many of the HPD helos is I believe a little faster due to the smaller diameter of the main rotor as compared to say a Jet Ranger, Astar, or something like a Blackhawk. You are right on that the advancing rotor is affected as rotor speed and forward speed approach the speed of sound but you also have to be concerned with retreating blade stall as airspeed increases. The faster the helo goes the less resultant airspeed there is on the retreating blade and at some point it begins to stall and lose lift causing an unpleasant instability.
master where have you been.
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Time Lapse - Driving through Florida 6 Hours in 6 Minutes hughes40 Off Topic 7 02-17-2009 10:13 PM
Florida brainiacs RACER X Off Topic 4 04-04-2008 02:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #22
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
Wrong x 2...they have FLIR.
I guess I stand corrected.

However which one does hpd have. And then there are also things to come into play if they use thermo imaging. Driver goes to a well lit up place like westhiemer and blends in with the enormous amount of heat signitures.

And on a note of victory,The Government agency I work for has the CIWIS camera. It can sense up to the different temp heat signatures from miles away.
Plus we have a 100% catch rate. Once your on my screen Ill know your dead grandmothers social.

so
naaahhhh
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #23
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

.... 7 of them and not a single one got away?

How stupid...
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #24
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

But the Helicopter has a great view ahead and does not need to follow the road.

Seems to an extend this is some kind of game. No not the runnng part, but the
Bikers especialy sportbikers enjoy a sprited ride and the cops are trying to enforce the speed limt.
But sometimes I wonder if it has not become a bit of a game to the cops.

How come we don't have roads with out restrictions on speed - other countries do and this is to be a free country.

In places we have dual limits for cars and trucks, why not a third for bikes , in some places.

Yes - I would say always pull over for the cop but it does seem the speed limits are a bit restrictive in many areas for bikers.

Allowing say another 20 - 30 mph above posted speeds to bikers in spme areas would cause not harm, and removal of all restrictions in some areas would be fine too.

Guess I just wasted my time and yours even thinking about it since its not going to happen.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #25
shaneo57
drop a gear and disappear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
07 gixxer 6

Send a message via Yahoo to shaneo57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
if only houston traffic were like this