MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
bjaz54

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Gear Lifespan?

How often do you get new gear? Pretty much how often do you wear out your gloves, boots, or any other gear? Just a little curious.
bjaz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
Gear Vault(gear available to be borrowed) OMEGA Gear Talk 5 08-07-2009 11:15 AM
gear saved my like last night so people who dont wear gear TAKE A LOOK!!!!! dcm5586 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 11-03-2008 07:50 PM
R6 engine lifespan TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 04-10-2007 10:55 PM
mismatching gear / matching gear AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 03-09-2007 05:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I usually get a couple years outta boots and gloves with regular use. Jackets/Pants last a lot longer as long as you keep them some what clean and conditioned. I've seen guys with gear that is pretty old, but still works as new because they take good care of it.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Badchev
Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
I usually get a couple years outta boots and gloves with regular use. Jackets/Pants last a lot longer as long as you keep them some what clean and conditioned. I've seen guys with gear that is pretty old, but still works as new because they take good care of it.
+1....I seem to wear out gloves quickly, and my leathers have done the job a couple of times without coming apart (the scuffs add a little character).
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I usually buy new stuff after I land in a ditch full of water...

but that's just me.

Actually, I usually keep my stuff a long time. Gloves will eventually start to come apart in places or get so sun faded they look like . Maybe 3-4 years?Helmets get retired after one hit, or after 5 years.

Leathers and boots, depends on how many times I hit the deck in them. My old TMGP leathers just kept getting repaired and a friend now uses them. I have had some jackets that are over 15 years old and I wear them on occassion still (bad weather expected, etc).

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

for me, typically...

helmets 1 to 1-1/2years before replacing (the inside is a size or two larger )

gloves every 2-4 months

But I also commuted solely by bike, and did an average 1K to 1.5 a week (thats including "play time"..so there was TONS of wear, most people usually dont see nearly as rapidly.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement