MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #41
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie...got rearended at redlight, need advice with insurance issues Peter R General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-31-2014 08:51 PM
CS Voted to Ban Redlight Cameras VenaSera Off Topic 47 11-04-2009 04:27 PM
rain yesterday, slid through an intersection, guned to avoid train, redlight camera Q urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 03-27-2009 11:17 PM
HAHAHA DOWN WITH REDLIGHT & SPEED CAMERAS FastLine Off Topic 23 12-22-2008 04:33 PM
Car runs redlight at busy intersection MadseasoN Off Topic 6 06-14-2006 08:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #42
Phiber

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2009 Ninja 250

Click to View Search Results for Red light camera shortened yellows - Google Search Red light camera shortened yellows - Google Search

Yep.
Phiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #43
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
And the ones that want them are making money too. It's all a money battle, especially on the part of the red light camera companies and the City of Houston. We are paying the City of Houston to protect and serve with their police force...not a third party company who is handing out tickets.
Ok, I can agree with you on the making money part. And take my comments with a grain of salt since I'm not 100% americanized yet . Where I'm from the thing works different. You run a red light, you walk for a month because your license goes away.

Now the question becomes, what to do in order to make people pay more attention to traffic and not to (supergulp, cellphone, stereo, cheeseburger with fries and double load of bacon while the cheese is melting on your lap,*putfavoritedistractionhere*)?
Leave the cameras up but put them in the hand of the city (leaving out the third party) and increase the fine to where it hurts?

I also agree on the fine being a joke. Running a red light is $75, I parked next to a hydrant once (didn't see it) and it was $100. So there's a disparity here.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #44
lorin70

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Leave the cameras up but put them in the hand of the city (leaving out the third party) and increase the fine to where it hurts?

I also agree on the fine being a joke. Running a red light is $75, I parked next to a hydrant once (didn't see it) and it was $100. So there's a disparity here.
You're missing the point of why the cameras are put there. If you jack up the fine to where it is significant and hurts to pay then people will pay attention and not run the light. That means no more free money for the government and the camera operators. The fine is intentionally set low enough so that most people will just pay it and not argue or contest it. It is NOT about safety, it IS about revenue generation.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #45
Redux

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
You're missing the point of why the cameras are put there. If you jack up the fine to where it is significant and hurts to pay then people will pay attention and not run the light. That means no more free money for the government and the camera operators. The fine is intentionally set low enough so that most people will just pay it and not argue or contest it. It is NOT about safety, it IS about revenue generation.
I think we had a thread about this. And Dallas removed a bunch of cameras because the revenue was getting too low when people learned.

Wait what? I thought those were there for safety? No, apparently not.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #46
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
You're missing the point of why the cameras are put there.
No, I understand the current reasoning very well. I was just thinking next steps/ beyond that . It may be wishful thinking I know but hey ...
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #47
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #48
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

This is why I'm Pro Red Light Camera.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #49
XBIKE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 750
2011 DR 650
2008 Buell XB9XS (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to XBIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
very true. its all about the money.
Yeppers, this is true!
XBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #50
adam713

Bike(s):
2002 suzuki gsxr 750

dont feel like riding anymore
adam713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #51
JBIRD5363

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Ok, so the people who are against them are those who make money from defending people who ran a red light. Hmm .. ever heard of "framing"?

Don't run the light, then you don't get a ticket. Why is taking responsibility for ones own actions always an issue?

For some on-topic comments: that white bus driver got some serious skills (and luck) for getting through that intersection.
I got one after turning right on a red and I did stop behind the white line machines don't have descresion (sp)
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #52
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
You will never stop the superguuuuuuuuulp!!!

In all seriousness, each of those accidents that were in the video would have happened regardless of a red light camera...even if it was giving out thousand dollar fines. Sometimes, people just don't pay attention...or are . No amount of cameras on an intersection will stop it from happening or make it safer. Slipstreams and long yellows DO work, that's proven. Proper light engineering is the key to all of this. However, if you've ever noticed around Houston, it seems a team of monkeys have engineered the lights. I can sit at multiple intersections in my car at night and have to wait over a minute with literally NO traffic going on the cross street. Saturn/Bay Area is one that comes to mind. Granted, that's at night, but nothing changes...there is no engineering involved here. If we used slipstreams to control traffic and longer yellows to warn people, less accident would occur. It wouldn't stop them...but less would occur. Red light cameras don't work.
Well I guess *slurp* we can all agree *sluuuuurp* that there's not only one solutution to the problem.

(sorry for the noises, was getting the last bits of smoothie out of my Supergulp(tm) while driving and writing this on my phone)
Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #53
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam713 View Post
dont feel like riding anymore
No traffic lights at/on the track
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #54
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

Old 05-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #55
texasgiant815
The biggest on 2 wheels

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07' GSXR-600

Member Garage

thats why you always look left and right before entering an intersection boys and girls

ohnoes416234
texasgiant815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #56
blaknwite

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

1. Always treat an intersection as Sniper Alley. You will get shot if you don't look. They want to kill you, don't give them the chance.
2. If Red Light Cameras were truly about safety we, as motorcyclists, would all support them.
3. The American public has been dumbed down. Trying to explain moral responsibility while operating a motor vehicle is like........well, I give up because everyone is too busy yacking on the phone.
4. Red Light Cameras are a scam. I stopped, made right turn and got snapped. Jersey Villge was the represented authority who told us it was just easier to pay the $75, which it was so we did to my eternal shame.

Arm yourselves citizens, arm yourselves!
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #57
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://blog.motorists.org/6-cities-t...es-for-profit/

Quote:
2) Dallas, Texas
An investigation by KDFW-TV, a local TV station, found that of the ten cameras that issued the greatest number of tickets in the city, seven were located at intersections where the yellow duration is shorter than the bare minimum recommended by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).

The cityís second highest revenue producing camera, for example, was located at the intersection of Greenville Avenue and Mockingbird Lane. It issued 9407 tickets worth $705,525 between January 1 and August 31, 2007. At the intersections on Greenville Avenue leading up to the camera intersection, however, yellows are at least 3.5 or 4.0 seconds in duration, but the ticket-producing intersectionís yellow stands at just 3.15 seconds. That is 0.35 seconds shorter than TxDOTís recommended bare minimum. Dallas likewise installed the cameras at locations with existing short yellow times. A total of twenty-one camera intersections in Dallas had yellow times below TxDOTís bare minimum recommended amount.

The ticket camera program in Dallas made the news recently for shutting down some of its cameras because they were no longer profitable.
Quote:
4) Lubbock, Texas
KBCD, a local television station, exposed the cityís short timing of yellow lights at eight of the twelve intersections where the devices were to be installed.

Prior to the news investigation, Lubbock City Engineer Jere Hart assured city council members that he would not increase yellow times. According to the city councilís traffic commission minutes of September 19, 2006, Jere said, ďif [the red light camera program is] implemented, the public would prefer to have an increased amber cycle,Ē but he stated that, ďthe program will not adjust the amber/yellow time.Ē

Shortly after the investigation became public, red-light cameras were installed in Lubbock. However, after they proved to be both unprofitable (due in part to a new state law giving 50% of the ticket camera profit to the state) and unsafe (accidents increased where the cameras were installed), they were taken down.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #58
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

The money has to come from somewhere. Better to tax the who run red lights than to tax everyone else. Although the same could be said for speeding/tickets.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #59
goose
Goose

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R1
2005 yamaha r6 (sold)
2001 Gsxr 750 (gone)

look at the grey car at 5:34. He moves up a few inches right before the idiot passes him. that probably saved his . Way to pay attention!!!
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #60
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

Advertisement