MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Women's only race class

I brought this up on the CMRA board and got some great response from some of the current female CMRA license holders but I would like to get some feedback from some of the female track days riders.

I will admit that when this was first mentioned several months ago I was dead set against it and even yesterday morning I was still pretty much against it. But after talking to some long time racers yesterday both female and male I started to see another point of view. I now see it in same class as the rookie expert . Since women are in the minority in this sport it would be a way to encourage more women to grid up, but at the same time not to say that we are less qualified to race the other classes. It is a simple fact that moto racing is a male dominated sport and anything and everything we can do to encourage more women to race is a good thing.

My questions to this female track day riders who may be thinking about racing is:

1.. Do you think it would be less intimidating to start racing if there was a women's only class with smaller grids?
2.. If there were a women's only class next year would you race in it?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heffley's Saturday D-Class Race Video hotnanas Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 1 04-18-2013 09:09 AM
What kind of women do you attract?(by race) Joey_Redd Off Topic 74 05-20-2011 11:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

But if y'all are racing, who's gonna make the sammiches?

Just joking girl. Great idea.

As long as the sammiches are pre made.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
But if y'all are racing, who's gonna make the sammiches?
Well I guess they have to get you a step-ladder so you can reach up to the kitchen counter yourself

*SCNR*
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

There are alot of guys that ride slower or worse than some of the women. I think it would be cool to see all the females in on class but I dont think it is needed.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
There are alot of guys that ride slower or worse than some of the women. I think it would be cool to see all the females in on class but I dont think it is needed.
It is not about being slow or fast. It is a fact the motorcycle racing is a male dominated sport, and women are clearly in the minority. There is a huge intimidation factor for any female trying to get into this sport. If a women's only class help alleviate some of that apprehension then I am all for it. A women's only class in NO Way means that we are any less capable of racing with the guys it just gives us a chance to get our foot in the door. Hopefully any female who starts out in the women's class will also enter other classes as well.
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Yes it does though. If you need a separate class to make yourself feel comfortable then you aren't ready or willing to ride with the men's class...right? I understand what you are getting at, but there isn't any other sport that competes with both sexes where there's a women's only league then a men's league where women can race. Look at what Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick have done. Neither of them raced with JUST women in their careers. Granted, Sarah Fisher sucked, but Danica is slowly making a name for herself. I just think having a women's class, whether you like it or not, will send out a negative vibe to the community as a whole.

Just my opinion.
This is also what I was thinking and I also se Candie's point too.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
rc51eviltwin

Trackdays: 1

its all about the bragging rights.........
'nuff said.
same as the rookie expert class.
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Yes it does though. If you need a separate class to make yourself feel comfortable then you aren't ready or willing to ride with the men's class...right? I understand what you are getting at, but there isn't any other sport that competes with both sexes where there's a women's only league then a men's league where women can race. Look at what Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick have done. Neither of them raced with JUST women in their careers. Granted, Sarah Fisher sucked, but Danica is slowly making a name for herself. I just think having a women's class, whether you like it or not, will send out a negative vibe to the community as a whole.

Just my opinion.
How would the women's class be any different than the rookie expert or the F40. Both of those classes have specific criteria to be able to race in. Are you gonna tell the guys that are over 40 they can't/shouldn't race in the other classes because they race in the F40 class? Is see no difference in the age vs .

Also some people male/female start out in the mini-classes because they are intimidated by the big bikes. Does that devalue them as racers? I just see it as another race to possibly boost revenue in the club and give current as well as new female riders a platform to go out and race and be competitive with their peers. It can be a win/win for the club and the riders.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 05-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Its not about equality or being seen as a peer. Its about getting more women involved FIRST, so they can see for themselves and get more comfortable within the org. I agree with Candie's idea.... Its not going to hurt anything, and if it doesnt work, then just cancel it. No harm in trying tho. IMO of course.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Like Candie said, there is nothing saying a woman could not race in the male-dominated classes, too.

Saying the women in the women's class are not capable is like saying the rookie experts are not capable because they aren't running a full-on expert race.

Like saying Alonzo and Tony Ta are big, ghey, slow-mo's...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
NgaWhat

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

racing in general is a male donimated thing

its great that women are doing it too...but there will always be more males

things like racing, video games, cars, etc...
NgaWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Like Candie said, there is nothing saying a woman could not race in the male-dominated classes, too.

Saying the women in the women's class are not capable is like saying the rookie experts are not capable because they aren't running a full-on expert race.

i thought they where
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post

Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Greasespot

It's about $$$ with the CMRA in regards to a new class. It's also about having the time to race a new class in the league on a sprint day weekend. If it would bring more racers and $$$ then they might be interested but if it was only a few and potentially reduced track time (number of laps in sprints) for other races I doubt they would go for it. Just reality. Personally I think it would be cool but I doubt they would go for it. They catch enough flak when they have many red flagged races and have to reduce sprint laps to fullfill the raceday and make all of the races happen before it gets dark. I can remember racing at TWS (Texas World Speedway) when the sun was going down last year. Kind of nutz
CMRA CAVEMAN RACING TEAM #88
CMRA #988
TMGP Dawg Pound#8 2009 F6 Endurance 1st place!
Future greasespot fo sho!
Greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasespot View Post
It's about $$$ with the CMRA in regards to a new class. It's also about having the time to race a new class in the league on a sprint day weekend. If it would bring more racers and $$$ then they might be interested but if it was only a few and potentially reduced track time (number of laps in sprints) for other races I doubt they would go for it. Just reality. Personally I think it would be cool but I doubt they would go for it. They catch enough flak when they have many red flagged races and have to reduce sprint laps to fullfill the raceday and make all of the races happen before it gets dark. I can remember racing at TWS (Texas World Speedway) when the sun was going down last year. Kind of nutz
It has been proposed that the class would replace the Jr. motard races.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #18
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Quote:
Why is there an F40 class?? That falls under the same idea I talked about in my last post. Is there a reason there needs to be an F40 class? Is it because someone complained about not being able to keep up with the younger riders? I have no clue...but that would make sense. It's a class that says, "Hey, I don't think I am good enough to ride with younger people or maybe I don't have the stamina, so I'll race in this class with people my age"...at least to the outsider. Same goes with an all woman class. If you want to be seen as being on the same level as all the other riders, don't put yourself in an ALL female class as it just denigrates what you're really trying to do. Rookie expert and mini-classes aren't age or based...are they? They have nothing to do with what you are talking about. You want a based class. That's not anywhere close to a novice or slower class.

I totally understand what your purpose is, but everyone else will be looking at the class saying, "Oh, that's just a bunch of girls riding track," "Well how come they're not out with the rest of the people," "Oh, they're not good or fast enough, they're girls." That's not true, obviously, but that's what you'll create unfortunately. That goes with everything in life. Again, if Danica Patrick was racing in an all girls Indy League, no one would give a . But because she always raced with the boys, it says something to everyone out there...women can do this too...they don't need a separate class. In professional sports there are only a handful of sports that puts men and women on an even playing field for the most part, racing is one of them. I just caution you not to uneven that field.

In the end, you'll do what you need to get the numbers of female racers up, but I'm just giving you a different outlook on it all. Don't take offense to it.
You're not 40 yet are you???
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned