MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Angry My Oil Pressure Sensor Switch is broken

..
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
Oil questions - Time for an oil change bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-09-2014 08:32 PM
Oil Change, Tire Pressure, Chain Lube... etc..... dotcom General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 10-23-2005 01:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
WWFII
Senior Member
 
WWFII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where I lay my head is home.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 652

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)









Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Time to upgrade to a Busa. Then, you can be at least 30 minutes early to any event!
WWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









my mechanic just came by and disconnected the pressure switch to show me that there is oil inside the hose so this was the problem causing the oil light to flicker.

The busa is an excellent choice my friend but it wouldn't fit into my riding habits lol
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Ares
Senior Member
 
Ares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sweetland
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 2,501

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|







LOL @ both replies.

Just like life to me; there are ups and downs to everything...

Is there a way to bypass/run without the switch? I know it's important and all but only you would know if the duc burns oil and if it does will it last one weekend?

Or you can just skip a weekend. Take the Merc out for a spin with the bikes LOL.
__________________
RIP Rocky Umali & blue 04 r6
Watch over us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
LOL @ both replies.

Just like life to me; there are ups and downs to everything...

Is there a way to bypass/run without the switch? I know it's important and all but only you would know if the duc burns oil and if it does will it last one weekend?

Or you can just skip a weekend. Take the Merc out for a spin with the bikes LOL.
the mechanic said that if i can keep the temperatures below 170 then everything will run fine but whenever it goes above 170 and the switch is not sending the signals to the ecu then i run the risk of melting most of the plastic parts on my bike lol

he is on the phone right now trying to see if anybody in austin or san antonio stock the parts and have it hot shot to houston tomorrow afternoon! i have my fingers crossed

btw did you get your bike checked for the headshake?
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
StewRat
Hive Investigator
 
StewRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stafford
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 576




2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650






LOLZ personal mechanic for a ducati! I am in the wrong business
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Hitchens
viva la figa
 
Hitchens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 105

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Hypermotard









Gotta love Ducs eh? Knew my bike was gonna need a little more attention than usual but ! Those "little" things do tend to get pretty annoying... Of course I forget about all the when I go riding on it...
__________________
My Oil Pressure Sensor Switch is broken
Hitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Moc05
Safety Third
 
Moc05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Houston
Feedback Rating: (10)
Posts: 1,339

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
Very nice bike, saw it last night at PP1.
__________________
Moc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRat View Post
LOLZ personal mechanic for a ducati! I am in the wrong business
hahahaha he always works on my bike, very nice guy, he used to be the head mechanic and service manager at eximport but now run his own shop servicing ducatis.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens View Post
Gotta love Ducs eh? Knew my bike was gonna need a little more attention than usual but ! Those "little" things do tend to get pretty annoying... Of course I forget about all the when I go riding on it...
same here, i forget about all those things once i hop on the bike and ride!
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc05 View Post
Very nice bike, saw it last night at PP1.
thanks man, it was a large turn out last night, weather was perfect but i just didnt want to take a risk by going on a night run and having my duc break down in the middle of the route lol
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
JP171
Senior Member
 
JP171's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sand Land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,323

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636








Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
the mechanic said that if i can keep the temperatures below 170 then everything will run fine but whenever it goes above 170 and the switch is not sending the signals to the ecu then i run the risk of melting most of the plastic parts on my bike lol

he is on the phone right now trying to see if anybody in austin or san antonio stock the parts and have it hot shot to houston tomorrow afternoon! i have my fingers crossed

btw did you get your bike checked for the headshake?
ummm ok I'm not understanding something here the Swich/sensor is nothing more than a close at X pressure type of switch the only signal the ECU recieves from the switch is called an elctronic return proving signal its probably in the range of 10 to 12 volts, how the do you run the risk of melting the plastic parts of your bike, and the motor will get upwards of 200 (it is water cooled correct) and being as such the fan switch is set at something like 212 to 220 or on at 220 and off at 212(or maybe 208)

I think either I'm not understanding something or the mechanic is smoking a cigarette when he's talking to you
__________________
EMT-P for 18 yrs, EMT for 21, Fire Fighter since 1974

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
ummm ok I'm not understanding something here the Swich/sensor is nothing more than a close at X pressure type of switch the only signal the ECU recieves from the switch is called an elctronic return proving signal its probably in the range of 10 to 12 volts, how the do you run the risk of melting the plastic parts of your bike, and the motor will get upwards of 200 (it is water cooled correct) and being as such the fan switch is set at something like 212 to 220 or on at 220 and off at 212(or maybe 208)

I think either I'm not understanding something or the mechanic is smoking a cigarette when he's talking to you
well since i am not a mechanic myself, i will just go by what the mechanic says. I don't really care what he smokes, as long as he fixed my bike i am cool with that. Now, he is fully certified by ducati/aprilia/bmw and was running the service dept. at eximport for 4 years, so when it comes to fixing bikes i go to a certified mechanic and when i get sick i go to a doctor, if i have a electrical problem i call the electrician, etc
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
GCgixxer685
Senior Member
 
GCgixxer685's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: la porte
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 285

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600









hope u get back on ur wheels again soon bro
GCgixxer685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
JP171
Senior Member
 
JP171's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sand Land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,323

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636








yea well he's blowing smoke up your , and eximport I'm sorry(look up the dismal history on the place). that switch has absolutly nothing to do with temperature regulation on your bike, the switch is a simple open close switch, it closes when your bike oil pump makes 22lbs of oil pressure, the signal sent to the switch goes back to the ecu and tells it that you have the minimum oil pressure, so no light. If the switch is leaking or the plastic is broken and its making poor contact then replace it if its just a broken clip then clean it up and use a ty-wrap to hold the lead in place. but your not gonna listen you didn't listen the first time I told ya, btw certification is real easy for aprillia/bmw/ducati, just go to the certification class and stay awake
__________________
EMT-P for 18 yrs, EMT for 21, Fire Fighter since 1974

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
JP171
Senior Member
 
JP171's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sand Land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,323

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636








oh and is this Alex that your talking about?
__________________
EMT-P for 18 yrs, EMT for 21, Fire Fighter since 1974

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
oh and is this Alex that your talking about?
Nope, Alex works at the parts/accessories dept. and not service! according to the service manual its 16lbs of pressure not 22......
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
JP171
Senior Member
 
JP171's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sand Land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,323

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636








ok so its 16psi, but the minimum pressure to close doesn't change how it works. and according to lots of BBB complaints Alex is or was the service manager there at one time. the guy is full of and telling you a bunch of to get you to spend money. but it is of course your money spend it as you see fit. As far as who it is it really doesn't make a to me, I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an unsharpened pencil before going to that half assed rip off emporium where them snake oil salesmen congregate
__________________
EMT-P for 18 yrs, EMT for 21, Fire Fighter since 1974

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php

Last edited by JP171; 05-20-2010 at 10:22 PM.
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
yea well he's blowing smoke up your , and eximport I'm sorry(look up the dismal history on the place). that switch has absolutly nothing to do with temperature regulation on your bike, the switch is a simple open close switch, it closes when your bike oil pump makes 22lbs of oil pressure, the signal sent to the switch goes back to the ecu and tells it that you have the minimum oil pressure, so no light. If the switch is leaking or the plastic is broken and its making poor contact then replace it if its just a broken clip then clean it up and use a ty-wrap to hold the lead in place. but your not gonna listen you didn't listen the first time I told ya, btw certification is real easy for aprillia/bmw/ducati, just go to the certification class and stay awake
i really don't know your mechanical background but i do believe it is related to temp...... i posted the problem in many ducati forums and they all tell me the same thing! my oil light doenst come on unless the temp is above 172 degrees, maybe a coincidence? i doubt it, it happens everytime! when cruising on the highway the bike is running at 150-160 range but when i get off the freeway and running slower the motor start to get hotter and when it reaches 172 the light come on!
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
ok so its 16psi, but the minimum pressure to close doesn't change how it works. and according to lots of BBB complaints Alex is or was the service manager there at one time. the guy is full of and telling you a bunch of to get you to spend money. but it is of course your money spend it as you see fit. As far as who it is it really doesn't make a to me, I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an unsharpened pencil before going to that half assed rip off emporium where them snake oil salesmen congregate
the guy that works on my bike is Jorge Duran, a very honest guy, after many shady business practices ordered by the man in charge, he quit eximport and started his own business, most that knew Jorge was happy to follow and continue the business relationship with him. After Jorge left they put a guy that didnt even know how to fix bikes to run the service dept. until this day i do not think they have any certified ducati mechanics over there, just a guy name santos and his crew that used to move bikes in and out of the dealership! Trust me i used to be a VIP customer at eximport until Jorge left.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy