MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

2 flat start going with a better tire, might want to get an extra rear wheel and tire to switch between track and street rides.

and the warmers so you dont get that comfort and find out that your tires were not as hot as you thought they were, nothing worse than going out to have some fun with your buds only to find them leaving you behind because your tires arent up to temp or start cold tearing them and getting no life out of it.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Might have made a mistake crewchief Performance and Modifications 28 04-10-2012 10:38 PM
never mistake the cans pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-01-2010 10:27 PM
Where was my mistake???? TILLA THE KILLA General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 11-14-2006 11:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
htownballa

Feedback Rating: (0)

well, this is a track dedicated bike. It wont be on the street. I chose to keep a street compound because they arent as effected by heat cycles like race compounds...and I aint go the moola for warmers at the moment.

I just have these tires sitting in my garage and they arent on the bike yet...so...I wanted to know what others thought or had experience with the Q2 before I slap em on. I couldve sold them and bought a different tire.

But...Ive decided to keep em and try em out.

Personally as far as Im concerned condifidence is what is important as far as tires go. Its more of a head thing than the actual tires. I have no experience with dunlop tires so im seeing what others think about em. I have heard they are flat though...which is fine. I can adjust my suspension. I know how to adjust preload/static sag, and map my rebound and compression.
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Well that 10xs more than most.

good luck and see you out there.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #24
lorin70

I'd be interested to know how many track days you get out of a BT016 rear tire running around TWS (Texas World Speedway) at a 2:02 pace.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
htownballa

not many at all. 4 or so.

TWS (Texas World Speedway) is pretty harsh on tires because of speed...especially the left side tread. Right side of tire still has tread left. I could probably get more if it werent for that left side.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
lorin70

You're getting a little more life out of the tire than if you were using a race tire, but the BT016 is probably less expensive too. I can usually get 3 days on a BT003 rear at TWS (Texas World Speedway) depending on how many sessions I run. Some people turn them around on the wheel to use up the right side.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #27
htownballa

hmmm..never thought of that. If I did that, I would do it before the one side was toast...cause there is no tread left on it now. Its a take off for sure. I wouldnt even use it on the road. My last session on that 016 was pushing it, so I backed off a bit just to finish the day out.

I want to use the bt003rs too...cause I love the bridgestones. Im willing to try others though.

Until I have the income to support my spending habits for the track (warmers and tires are pretty much all thats eating me up cash wise), Ill burn through these Q2's and go back to the Bridgestone till I get the moola.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #28
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
I'll agree with Brandt (Cdill), Alonzo, and Godsuki....it's time to upgrade the rubber. It takes an experienced rider to go fast on a street tire.

Since you don't have warmers....you should contact John Hutchinson with South Central Race Center and ask about the NEW Pirelli Superbike Pro Slicks. They are a trackday oriented tire that does NOT require the use of warmers and are made to last. they come in 180 and 190 size. Many people are even thinking about using those for endurance racing.

www.scracecenter.com
Phone - (281) 703-0296

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #29
htownballa

cool! thanks for the info. I havent heard of them yet till now. Ive always liked my pirelli tires feel and feedback.

Its time for a lot of things on my bike that I just aint got the money for. Suspension rebuild on forks (probably do that one myself too...just need to buy a couple tools and fork oil), I would like to get my rear shock re-valved (or get a penske or something), tire warmers...pretty much the expensive stuff. I just need to hit the lottery man...then Ill get whatever I want and pay others to do it for me.

I will get warmers for sure and better rubber in the near future.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #30
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

I never road anything but BT014s at the track (haven't been on the track in about 18 months now though) and I was able to do 1:59s on occasion (consistent 2:00-2:01) on them at TWS (Texas World Speedway) without any drama.

I'm sure I could have gone faster with DOT tires, but I never saw the need for them as I wasn't a racer and didn't have the desire to push my limits with my street bike.

Advertisement