MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
htownballa

Feedback Rating: (0)

did I make a mistake? Q2's

I got Dunlop Q2's for my track bike. I am an intermediate level rider...not fast expert racer or anything. I have run about 2:00 consistent laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway)..drag knee easily through most corners...but Im not braking deep into corners or anything like that yet.

I have been running BT016's on the track and like them so far. Mainly running them because they are affordable...have decent life for me...and I dont have warmers. Thats why Im sticking with a street/dual compound tire.

From what I have read about dunlop Q2's are they are similar to the bt016 which is why I went with them.

Is there anything I should be aware of as far has handling on this tire...stickiness...ride height..etc.

Has anyone used them? What did you think about them?
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Might have made a mistake crewchief Performance and Modifications 28 04-10-2012 10:38 PM
never mistake the cans pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-01-2010 10:27 PM
Where was my mistake???? TILLA THE KILLA General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 11-14-2006 11:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
crzy88

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636

Talk to patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited if you're looking for an opinion. I was going to get the same ones, but was split between q2's and the new diablo rosso corsa. Got the pirelli's and haven't regretted it since. Haven't gone to the track with them, but I will in a few weeks. Here's a review on them, but take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/38...ct-Review.aspx

I don't think you made a mistake though. They're all great tires.
crzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy88 View Post
Talk to patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited if you're looking for an opinion.
Good advice, since his shop sponsors a race team he would have some info.

Quote:
I don't think you made a mistake though. They're all great tires

The tires we have today are SO much better than in the past. Crappy street tires are better today than the best race tires from the 70's.
Look at those skinny things they raced on and did fine!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Badchev
Slow

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Good advice, since his shop sponsors a race team he would have some info.

The tires we have today are SO much better than in the past. Crappy street tires are better today than the best race tires from the 70's.
Look at those skinny things they raced on and did fine!
And if YOU like them that is 75% of the battle IMHO.
Confidence in what your on let's you focus on what YOUR doing.......not what the tire is doing, my .02
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
be sure to have your suspension readjusted because of the flex of the tire changes between brands.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

The BT016s are pretty good tires; the Q2s are pretty good as well. If it is worth for anything, Alonzo has run pretty solid times on the Q2s.

Which TD org do you ride with? 2 min laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) seems kind of fast for "intermediate".
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I wouldnt run anything but DOT race tires if you're running 2:00 laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and getting faster.

2 flat is level 4/advanced track day pace. Welcome to the game. Get your check book out.

You need warmers and $400 tires.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I wouldnt run anything but DOT race tires if you're running 2:00 laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and getting faster.

2 flat is level 4/advanced track day pace. Welcome to the game. Get your check book out.

You need warmers and $400 tires.
No way. I know of at least one guy who was running 2:05s on a pilot ROAD front.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Well, you guys go right ahead and keep giving out bad advice.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Better yet....I know a guy (Ty Howard) that can run 1:50's on Shinkos. And I know another guy (Dustin Dominguez) that could run 1:50's on Continentals. And this one guy I know (Derek Wagnon) can run a 1:50 flat on a BT015. Any of those should be great for you so dont waste the extra money on a street/track day specific tire. Just get the biggest piece of out there.

I mean..if they can do it, cant you?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

I was quite surprised by how well the Q2 performed on the track. It offered a solid amount of grip and was predictable under braking and acceleration. I've never ridden the BT016 but I'm willing to bet these two tires are pretty close in performance. Best thing to do is get with someone who can help make any necessary(if any)suspension adjustments.

Now, with that being said let's look at what these tires are designed for, dual purpose street and track. There comes a point where you're sacrificing traction over longevity. If you plan on riding your bike on the streets with the occasional track day then by all means go with a tire designed for that purpose. If you're new to track days, then an all out race tire may not be needed.Tire technology has come a long way. I'm willing to bet that there are only a handful of guys that could actually outride a street tire. It really depends on your pace and skill level.

I'll agree with Brandt that a 2:00 lap time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) it pretty quick. You may want to consider upgrading to a more track specific tire. Unfortunately speed comes with a price. I've tried skimping on tires...doesn't work very well
Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
I used the q2 at the TWS (Texas World Speedway) and msr and they did great all day. Probably only have another day or two left though, but the grip has been great
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Better yet....I know a guy (Ty Howard) that can run 1:50's on Shinkos. And I know another guy (Dustin Dominguez) that could run 1:50's on Continentals. And this one guy I know (Derek Wagnon) can run a 1:50 flat on a BT015. Any of those should be great for you so dont waste the extra money on a street/track day specific tire. Just get the biggest piece of out there.

Buwahahahahahaha!

I prefer the Tomohawaks! Nothing like colored bling on your rubber.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

you're totally right. Everyone on the track needs GP slicks or they're going to die in the first turn.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Buwahahahahahaha!

I prefer the Tomohawaks! Nothing like colored bling on your rubber.
I almost bought Tomohawks when my stock rubber died Im such a noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
you're totally right. Everyone on the track needs GP slicks or they're going to die in the first turn.
He didn't say he was going to die.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I believe his point was that a 2:00 lap time is very close to exceeding the limit of a street tire. We would all hate to see him wad his bike and himself up. Sure, some very skilled riders can do better times on street tires, but at what risks?

A street tire may be able to post a low time, but it cannot susta those for very long. I agree with Brandt and Alonzo, get on some more focused rubber.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
They'll never die as long as they enter the first turn as slow as you do.

Last edited by cdill35; 05-19-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
htownballa

Thanks for all the comments guys. Yes...I am pretty consistent on the 2:00-2:02 lap times. I ride LSTD, and recently ridesmart intermediate group...not level 3/4..A. Rode lvl 1 two up May 8th, but that was only because I had a passenger. I could probably ride lvl 3/4, but havent made that commitment yet.. Depends on the track Im riding. If Im familiarizing myself with the lines....I ride slower.

My reason for using a street tire is because I dont have warmers..nor the money yet...to start pumping out 400 dollar warmers and tires. I will...but not at the moment. Since street tires arent effected by heat cycles..and will last me longer for now.

I will get better rubber when I can afford some...and warmers.

I do plan on getting faster for sure. Not worried about crashing...that day will come, and when it does...Ill get back up and get on.
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I was quite surprised by how well the Q2 performed on the track. It offered a solid amount of grip and was predictable under braking and acceleration. I've never ridden the BT016 but I'm willing to bet these two tires are pretty close in performance. Best thing to do is get with someone who can help make any necessary(if any)suspension adjustments.

Now, with that being said let's look at what these tires are designed for, dual purpose street and track. There comes a point where you're sacrificing traction over longevity. If you plan on riding your bike on the streets with the occasional track day then by all means go with a tire designed for that purpose. If you're new to track days, then an all out race tire may not be needed.Tire technology has come a long way. I'm willing to bet that there are only a handful of guys that could actually outride a street tire. It really depends on your pace and skill level.
What's your opinion on the Dunlop Qualifiers? I've always liked Dunlops, but I got into a discussion with someone who's a relative noob, level 1 rider, but who insisted that his Dunlop Qualifiers sucked, and so he bought Pirelli Corsa Rossos. I agree with Bumblebee (another "old-timer" here) that the tires of yesteryear are the ones that actually "sucked", and I should know because I remember those tires we rode on in the 80's! (Although back then, we thought they were great compared to tires of the 60's! hehehe..). I mean, I'm still sporting Pilot Road 2CTs on my bike, and I think they're awesome compared to the Conti's I sported way back when

Anyway, I tried to tell him the same thing as what I bolded, but he didn't want to hear it. I don't think he thinks my opinion qualifies since I'm not as fast as you whipper-snappers, lol, but I've seen these stories play out over and over again, year after year...

Personally, I think one should only upgrade their tires proportionately to their experience and the demands they will place on the tires as a result. To get rid of practically new Dunlop Qualifiers is a waste of a perfectly good tire for him to learn on, but alas someone sold him on the idea that that's what he needed to do, if even for confidence boosting. For me, confidence boosting is more enhanced when you don't rely on the tire as an excuse... especially a tire he won't over-ride, nor get even close to sensing it's limits, during the short lifetime of that tire anyway.

Also, does anybody know if the Dunlop Qualifiers that come factory installed on stock bike are different from the ones they sell seperately? I was told that's the case, also, but find that hard to believe.

Last edited by FlipSideUp; 05-20-2010 at 09:42 AM.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Also, does anybody know if the Dunlop Qualifiers that come factory installed on stock bike are different from the ones they sell seperately? I was told that's the case, also, but find that hard to believe.
Yes, it is common for OEM tires to differ from "off the shelf" tires in construction and or compound to handle different applications. Although I'm not sure about your specific tire.

Last edited by FastLine; 05-20-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Advertisement