MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
It is a commitment to make it enjoyable. I mean, sure you can take a street bike and do a trackday. However, most of us still make payments on street bikes for a few years and then if we do a trackday of course you're gonna think about "this is my only bike". So then comes the commitment of a track bike. Then if you have a truck, it's all good to haul it to the track in the bed of the truck but then you have tools, fuel cans, tent, chairs, cooler, leathers, helmet, ramp, and if you're in the fast group you need to add spare wheels, tires, maybe a generator. Now your truck is packed and you think, "I need an enclosed trailer". Then you commit to buy one of those. The faster you get, the faster you go through tires and the better tires you need. There's also the possiblity of crashing. I've been lucky, over 100 trackdays and probably around 15 Sundays worth of sprints and only one crash which was a guy next to me highsiding and his body landed in front of me and I ran him over. So basically...not my fault, no pondering "what did I do wrong". I did break my collar bone but oh well, chaulk it up to the game. You figure after then initial investment of bike, gear, tools, spares, and enclosed trailer...you're still spending on average $400 minimum per trackday if count for fuel for the truck, fuel for the bike, fees, food, and tires (if they last 2 maybe 3 trackdays). Race weekend is pretty much double that for the average guy and much more for the fastest guys. I wasn't the fastest guy in the world with 1:54-1:55 TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 1:22-1:23 at Cresson but I was consistant and smooth (so I was told). You do meet great people that will do almost anything for you to help you out of a bind, however, lots of people do this alone or with a spectator friend, girlfriend, or wife. I much rather do a hobby that allows for much more quality time with friends, girlfriend, and/or wife that I can do a couple/few times per week instead of once/twice per month for the same money. I still have the a GSXR street bike to hit the hill country. I have some great twisties just a handful of minutes from my house. The race/track bike thing is/was cool and fun...but the pimped out wakeboat has more benefits. Before anyone tells me the two happiest days of my life will be when I buy the boat and sell the boat...this is my 4th boat.
You bring up good points - thanks for the insight
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track days missing?? 0oAndyo0 Taking it to the Track 11 05-30-2013 03:12 PM
missing alpinestary left glove missing Texasthunder General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-23-2013 07:00 PM
Missing your track family? MSR Houston 2-9-13 Roll Call RideSmart1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 45 02-08-2013 10:28 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #22
you da man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
I'm sure he would miss it plenty if he didn't have something else to keep him occupied.
Just gotta find something to fill the void.
I've always been the person to have at least 2 hobbies going. When I did my 8yrs of trackdays along with 3 seasons with CMRA (about 5 races per season) I was and still am a golf junkie as well. I didn't consider trackdays as time consuming because it's just one day a month...maybe two if I felt froggy. Cost to fun ratio is not worth it to me anymore. While getting back into wakeboarding is expensive, I was in a position that my new boat is paid for (I was lucky to cashout on some stocks that I bought back in the fall of 2008 and spring of 2009 when the market took a dump, I bought in big time for the first time so when the market recovered it was all gains and not recovery). I don't miss those 95+ degree trackdays/races. There's other small things I don't miss as well. Also, being single w/no kids, the boat does have it's benefits with the ladies and you seem to make new friends. I guess I just wanted to have a different type of fun that included more of my friends, trackdays just don't do that.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
Curious...I am used to hearing/reading about how much people MISS the track. What makes you NOT MISS the track so much? Cost? Injury? Is there something I/we should know about before we pursue what you have already done?
If you want an honest answer man it isn't one you might like. I LOVE, I mean LOVE riding a motorcycle around a race track. I was never the fastest guy out there but I had fun. But I also have a family and for me it was time and money for sure but really it was the danger. Which is what makes it fun, but at first I thought it wouldn't happen to me (crashing, going down hard) then it happened and I walked away (5 then 6 times). Then my first set of races at out Motorsport Ranch Cresson the day Jon Broom went down. I was pitted next to the guy and spent some time with him the night before. It was enough to make me re-evaluate my priorities. So I did and it made sense at the time to "get out while I still could".....

That being said, I can't find anything to replace the feeling I get riding a motorcycle on a race track. Lets keep this PG 13, i love the wife and girl friend just as much as the next guy J/K, but the track pipe is an addiction I cannot find a cure for.....
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #24
you da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
If you want an honest answer man it isn't one you might like. I LOVE, I mean LOVE riding a motorcycle around a race track. I was never the fastest guy out there but I had fun. But I also have a family and for me it was time and money for sure but really it was the danger. Which is what makes it fun, but at first I thought it wouldn't happen to me (crashing, going down hard) then it happened and I walked away (5 then 6 times). Then my first set of races at out Motorsport Ranch Cresson the day Jon Broom went down. I was pitted next to the guy and spent some time with him the night before. It was enough to make me re-evaluate my priorities. So I did and it made sense at the time to "get out while I still could".....

That being said, I can't find anything to replace the feeling I get riding a motorcycle on a race track. Lets keep this PG 13, i love the wife and girl friend just as much as the next guy J/K, but the track pipe is an addiction I cannot find a cure for.....
I hear what you mean about that first, "what am I doing out here" moment. It happened to me at my last race at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Can't remember what race it was but it was on the 2nd or 3rd lap in SS-B running about 8-9th place. I just was about to apex T7 when out of the corner of my eye I see a blur trying to come inside me. The rider hits me and the bike standing me up and he crashes. I never thought I would ever be able to ride off T7 at that speed and keep my bike up. Fortunately I did and thank the fence on the property line of the track was down due to some tree work on the property next door because I litterally did run off TWS (Texas World Speedway) property. When I stopped I looked bike to see the other rider (won't mention his name but his leathers are always trashed as well as his bike and known as a crasher) and he is standing by his bike which is smoking on it's side. I took off my helmet and rode up to him and said, "is it that f-ing serious dude...seriously, you're fighting for top 10". That's when I decided this isn't worth the risk if idiots like him continue to try to force bad passes. In all my 100+ trackdays and half-race seasons, I've never seen anyone try to pass someone underneath at the apex at T7 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) especially with that monster of a curb/apex that can hit the hard parts of a bike at lean angle or buck a rider if their knee hits it.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #25
ZoomByU
The whistles go Wooo

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
Pink red ryder tricycle

I just logged into my NESBA account (I'm from Chicago) I haven't done a track day in 3 years, makes me wanna cry.
"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
ZoomByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post

Quote:
I hear what you mean about that first, "what am I doing out here" moment. It happened to me at my last race at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Can't remember what race it was but it was on the 2nd or 3rd lap in SS-B running about 8-9th place. I just was about to apex T7 when out of the corner of my eye I see a blur trying to come inside me. The rider hits me and the bike standing me up and he crashes. I never thought I would ever be able to ride off T7 at that speed and keep my bike up. Fortunately I did and thank the fence on the property line of the track was down due to some tree work on the property next door because I litterally did run off TWS (Texas World Speedway) property. When I stopped I looked bike to see the other rider (won't mention his name but his leathers are always trashed as well as his bike and known as a crasher) and he is standing by his bike which is smoking on it's side. I took off my helmet and rode up to him and said, "is it that f-ing serious dude...seriously, you're fighting for top 10". That's when I decided this isn't worth the risk if idiots like him continue to try to force bad passes. In all my 100+ trackdays and half-race seasons, I've never seen anyone try to pass someone underneath at the apex at T7 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) especially with that monster of a curb/apex that can hit the hard parts of a bike at lean angle or buck a rider if their knee hits it.

I googled Jon Broom and read about what happened to him...nuts!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28718
http://wakeupjon.com/
http://jonbroom.com/

I totally understand where you are coming from and can relate and appreciate why you left the sport. Definently something to consider - the danger and the real return on investment when doing track/races. Before I started riding motorcycles, I used to almost argue with people how dangerous it is and everyone would come back at me with the lowest common denominator - "oh you can get hurt crossing the street" and like that. I still feel the same way about motorcycles today as I did before I got one and hope that when (not if, but when) I do go down, it's an easy fall.

Injuries/crashing aside, the cost and committment involved is something I "think" I am am conscious of. But I guess like any other motor-related hobby, budgets and planning/forecasting all go out the door.

Thank you both for your insights again...it's good to see the other side of things. This thread is now 5 stars for its value...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
It is a commitment to make it enjoyable. I mean, sure you can take a street bike and do a trackday. However, most of us still make payments on street bikes for a few years and then if we do a trackday of course you're gonna think about "this is my only bike". So then comes the commitment of a track bike. Then if you have a truck, it's all good to haul it to the track in the bed of the truck but then you have tools, fuel cans, tent, chairs, cooler, leathers, helmet, ramp, and if you're in the fast group you need to add spare wheels, tires, maybe a generator. Now your truck is packed and you think, "I need an enclosed trailer". Then you commit to buy one of those. The faster you get, the faster you go through tires and the better tires you need. There's also the possiblity of crashing. I've been lucky, over 100 trackdays and probably around 15 Sundays worth of sprints and only one crash which was a guy next to me highsiding and his body landed in front of me and I ran him over. So basically...not my fault, no pondering "what did I do wrong". I did break my collar bone but oh well, chaulk it up to the game. You figure after then initial investment of bike, gear, tools, spares, and enclosed trailer...you're still spending on average $400 minimum per trackday if count for fuel for the truck, fuel for the bike, fees, food, and tires (if they last 2 maybe 3 trackdays). Race weekend is pretty much double that for the average guy and much more for the fastest guys. I wasn't the fastest guy in the world with 1:54-1:55 TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 1:22-1:23 at Cresson but I was consistant and smooth (so I was told). You do meet great people that will do almost anything for you to help you out of a bind, however, lots of people do this alone or with a spectator friend, girlfriend, or wife. I much rather do a hobby that allows for much more quality time with friends, girlfriend, and/or wife that I can do a couple/few times per week instead of once/twice per month for the same money. I still have the a GSXR street bike to hit the hill country. I have some great twisties just a handful of minutes from my house. The race/track bike thing is/was cool and fun...but the pimped out wakeboat has more benefits. Before anyone tells me the two happiest days of my life will be when I buy the boat and sell the boat...this is my 4th boat.
You spent $400 a trackday and did them by yourself??? No wonder you don't miss the track...
Im really happy for you and Im going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
you da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
You spent $400 a trackday and did them by yourself??? No wonder you don't miss the track...
I instructed for Ridesmart for a couple seasons as well which was nice to offset the cost but if you figure going through tires, fuel for truck and bike, food, and synthetic oil changes every trackday it adds up. I instructed in Level II so I still had fun at Level II pace but after classroom time I still had plenty of time to go out in Level IV and really have fun...all that will eat up tires. I initially had a ton of sportbike riding friends but none rode the track. Then a couple of my friends got sportbikes and got addicted to trackdays and lasted two seasons (they crashed quite a bit). It got old prepping for trackdays and traveling to trackdays by myself (which is not good if you crash with injuries).