MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
ComputerJLT

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
00 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to ComputerJLT Send a message via Yahoo to ComputerJLT
Not a new rider but a new member, getting out of the game :(

Hey guys,

A friend of a friend mentioned this board to me; kinda wish I had found it sooner! Lots of good stuff here.
Anyway i'm a 25 year old male from Victoria TX (2hrs from H-town off 59) and i've had a 00 GSXR 750 for the last 3 years or so. I had to do the cool thing and get a bike when all my friends were doing it, but yet Iím pretty much the last one of our group to get rid of their bike. I've always loved motorcycles, even since I was a kid but never had a reason or means to get one until I moved from west Texas.
When I first moved down here my bike was my only mode of transportation and I LOVED it. Rain cold hot wind I was still riding everywhere lol! Owning the bike has been FANTASTIC and I've loved every second of it. I'm into cars too, I have a ~300 or so whp turbo civic but nothing can come close to the thrill and freedom of a motorcycle.

Since I got it Iíve been a pretty safe rider, my gsxr is big for a first bike but was not the first one Iíd ridden just was my first bike to own. I learned to ride on a honda 250 nighthawk and a cbr 600 F3 and was instructed by an ex-MSF course teacher and a couple other experienced guys. I didnít just go to a dealer and buy a liter bike without ever sitting on a moto! . I'm really not into stunting I just like to cruise and maybe wind out a gear or two on an open road and try and knee drag some corners but 98.5% of my riding is cruising close to the speed limit (lame i know!)

But sadly my time with my beloved moto is over :(

Last week I was riding to work on a bad stretch of a busy road (navarro north of the loop for anyone thats been to Victoria) and changed lanes from the middle lane to the right most lane to avoid a slow moving truck, i'm going the speed limit mind you truck was accelerating from the light doing about 25-30ish speed limit is 45. There was traffic on my left so I chose to go to the right lane only to find a Gran Prix STOPPED on the road trying to pull in to mcdonald's. The truck blocked my view of this car and there was no time to react, as soon as i got in that lane I had to get hard on my brakes. I locked up the rear tire and tried to keep as much weight back as possible to keep from doing a stoppie but I couldn't stop in time. I hit the back of the gran prix doing about 15-22mph (est) and flew over it and landed on the road. I was wearing full gear at the time (never go anywhere without it!) so I was fine just a little banged up :(

Why I chose to go to the right lane I dont know; I know from experience and all the books and defensive driving you dont do that but people don't ever do what they're supposed to on this part of this road I guess its just one of those lapses in judgment that you wish you didnt do.

This was not my first close call unfortunately. Probably once every 2 weeks going on this stretch of this road someone would turn left (in front of me from oncoming traffic) a little too close for comfort.

Damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic; the windshield, nose piece and headlight are ruined and the forks are twisted in the clamps but it still starts and runs and (kinda) rides. Iíve decided not to fix it though, mounting pressure from my family and my own fear of my mortality have made me decide to part it out. Thatís the main reason Iím here is to see if any of you guys need any parts off of the thing. Iíll be making a for sale post in the appropriate forum but per the rules I figured Iíd post up an introduction thread!

Anyways thanks for reading! Stay safe and stay alert out there!!
ComputerJLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MH Member--Rider Down Jonbones General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 11-10-2012 09:05 PM
Ultimate squid game : Highway Rider Mark06gsxr General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 05-10-2012 03:22 PM
Is this rider a member of the forum? customminds General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-05-2012 08:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Navarro sucks, especially out past mall out to Tejas Motorsports. It could have been alot worse.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Wish you were joining under different circumstances.
Sound like you got your head screwed on straight though.
Well, if you ever decide to get back in it. We'll be here(I hope, lol).
Take care man.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
ComputerJLT

Bike(s):
00 GSXR 750

Hey Jason, that's where it happened. Right by the main entrance to the mall!

Thanks guys! I'll be back. I've always loved naked bikes (ducatti monster's, honda 919, etc). If i run across a deal on a black monster you bet your i'll be back! I almost got a 919 at a dealer in Lubbock but it was red (wanted black!) and way too much; luckily i decided against that, moved down here and wound up with my bike! No regrets!!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
ComputerJLT

Bike(s):
00 GSXR 750

dave that sucks!

Unfortunately I was mostly to blame for this one :( shouldn't have changed lanes but at the same time WHY would you STOP on a busy road.... oh well...
Old 05-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
ComputerJLT

Bike(s):
00 GSXR 750

well trying to lol, now i do body work/random stuff at a body shop... trying to get a job in IT at a plant down here or somewhere...

I also do EFI tuning, that's my passion.... Been doing it about 4+ years now semi-professionally. I mostly deal with hondas but i've branched off into toyota's mitsubishi's and if i get a Tahoe here soon some domestics :p Its nice having access to a cheap mustang dyno here in v-town!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
HoustonRepsol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2013 HD Breakout
09 Honda CBR 1000 Repsol
07 Buell lightning 1200
04 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

That sucks... Welcome just the same
Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Sorry to hear you're hanging it up. I don't agree with your decision, but that's just me - I say never stop living.

I, too, love the nekkids, and I learned on a Nighthawk 250 - great little bike. I hope soon you'll change your mind and fix that 1k or trade for something smaller and enjoy yourself. With that kind of passion it will be very difficult to let it go.

Good luck.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

When I lived in Victoria (well actually south of Victoria) I hated driving in town. Big reason why I have moved over to track only. I do however, miss weekend rides cruising county roads.

And if you're looking for a plant IT job, most in that area are contracted out nowadays.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Good intro, sorry it wasn't a happier one. Besides, you've had your fun on it, now it's time to just focus on your family (and cars, it sounds like).

There's also several other car entusiasts here and maybe some of your moto related experience would be helpful too. Sorry to hear about the bike... hope you stick around anyway. There's lot to see, do, share and learn.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
ComputerJLT

Bike(s):
00 GSXR 750

Yea country road cruises are fun! but since most of my immediate friends no longer ride (crashed, sold or blew up) its not as fun to do on your own. I'm sure if more of my friends here rode I wouldn't be parting my bike out. Its not something I want to do just I have to with my current situation. I NEED a daily driver, all my vehicles are toys...

I'll be back though; like I said if I ever find a good deal on a black monster I wont even debate it i'll buy it and love it!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Welcome to MotoHouston. I have in-laws down in Victoria. Hope you get back into riding again.

Advertisement