MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

sportbikers crash a lot

CA and FLA are the highest # of bike deaths, TX #3

CA data, and i would imagine TX is not alot diff.

"In 2008, the under age 20 age group had the largest increase in motorcycle fatalities (up 57% from 13 in 2007 to 30 in 2008 with the second highest increase seen in the over age 59 age group which increased 44% percent from 32 in 2007 to 57 in 2008.** "

"Super sport motorcycles, defined as consumer versions of the motorcycles used by factory racing teams, account for 14% of the registered motorcycles in California, yet the 211 super sport drivers and passengers killed in 2008 accounted for 38% of the 560 motorcyclists killed in California.

** Between 2002-08, 44% of Super Sport motorcycles that were fatally crashed were less than a year old, compared to 37% Other Sport, 28% Cruiser, and, 34% Touring motorcycles.
** Between 2002-08, 44% of Super Sport riders killed were not properly licensed, compared to 32% Other Sport, 24% Cruisers and 19% Touring motorcycles.
** Between 2002-08, 86% of Super Sport motorcycle fatal crashes were “speed related”, compared to 57% Other Sport, 40% Cruisers, and 39% Touring motorcycles
** Between 2002-08, 66% of Super Sport motorcycle operators killed were between age 21-34.** "

http://www.startriding.com/?p=522
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
crash lot session BuffaloRider13 Stunters Lounge 4 06-17-2010 09:57 PM
Motorcyclist dies in west Harris parking lot crash ParAvion General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-24-2009 12:36 PM
motorcyclist dies in parking lot crash along77082 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-24-2009 10:12 AM
Why Do We (sportbikers) Get A Bad Rap FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 11-18-2006 01:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Ima take a hit on this, but I am up FOR regulation steps to ANY newbie to biking. Mandatory tiered bike licensing. no matter the age.

and dealers who want to make more sales off a biker, by going allong with it, rather than 1 big bike sold to newb, and newb dies. When you could sell a smaller bike, take a trade in later, then sell a bigger one later on.

flaemz away!

Last edited by GAU-8; 05-04-2010 at 02:48 AM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
MykolJ
Giraffe!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
GSXR
600rr
R6

I don't think that anyone should regulate this. Too many time we pass the blame to someone else for our mistakes and ignorance. If people want to continue getting in over their head without the proper training and or proper gear then this is going to be the obvious outcome. It is unfortunate that death is the result but at some point we need to go back to living in a society that holds the individual accountable for his or her actions.

I know people aren't going to like that but it's cool....

BTW "alot" is two words.
MykolJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
Orion85

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX-6R

Re: sportbikers crash alot

Effing newbs
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

i think we need to do like the euro's do....least texas stepped it up with must take a msf to get a license, but plenty of people still do not have a license!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
so?

hondas get civics get stolen alot.

whats your point?
viper3ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

I have to agree with both of you... it is amoral (IMO) to sell a super sport liter bike to someone without any experience... But it does not alleviate the personal responsibility of the consumer either. Regulation is a step that should be taken, but the consumer is the one who should ultimately be held responsible for their own actions. Not everyone on a liter bike is going to kill themselves... I can think of one person in particular that I ride with often, who owns an exotic liter bike and knows their own limits and rides within them... But I also have rode with people who are on 600's that are probably lucky to have not killed themselves yet, and just aren't bright enough to realize the fact.

I agree that tiered licensing would be one way to give the utterly clueless a way of "growing" into a super sport bike... but the kids who wanted more power would just do engine swaps or install NOS ... etc etc etc... if there is a will there is a way and we cannot regulate id (the negative ego for those who have not had psych 101).

I think another thing we are overlooking here, is that it is more often than not a matter of place and time rather than choice of vehicle that kills most of these people... if you're on a cruiser, or a super sport... doesn't matter when you're taking a turn on a Texas FM at 100+ and hit a gravel patch that high sides your headfirst into a semi or a barbed wire fence.

From personal experience, I'm on an SV ... "low horsepower" by comparison... and I have had my share of close calls in the last few months... more so than I usually do... I've been riding 25 years (since I was 10, when I got an XR80 with my summer lawn mowing money)... but I never really got into "knee dragging" until this year... and I have come to realize that I need to get into a track group for that kind of riding and get another cruiser to commute on before I kill myself... and it's not a lack of skills that are getting me into trouble... It's WHERE I've been riding aggressively that has been the big issue. Granted I'm no expert, but I can handle a bike well enough... but when you're diving into a hard 90 degree turn at 80-90 and your smooth on the throttle and have your weight positioned just right... it means nothing when your back tire drifts a foot to the side because it loses traction on a road patch that is slicker than greased owl . At that point in time you just have to level with yourself and admit that you're doing something dangerous and accept the responsibility for your own actions ... whether it be continue riding in that fashion or not... The dealership isn't the one behind the bars hitting the throttle into triple digit speeds.

I've had 7 street bikes total, 2 of which were Harleys that went well over 100 mph, so (IMO) making this all about super sports is a rather skewed approach... it should be about responsibility more so than choice of brand or style.

I agree that we should not give matches to wayward pyromaniacs (figure of speech) but we should hold the individual accountable for their actions... so I see a lot of merit in both sides of your arguments.

Another point may be that we as adults (and we are all adults here, right???) should make the choices that are responsible, rather than egotistical. I believe we should also be realistic... I mean, the OP for this thread is on a Busa... no offense, but I HIGHLY doubt you bought that bike for the fuel economy. You wanted to go fast... so why are we "criticizing" others for making the same choice? No offense intended, but let's be HONEST with ourselves for a bit shall we.

If we're going to seriously address this issue, then let's seriously address it... I talked to Sunday Rider a bit about this and we were planning a sit down meeting with other senior members of the board (I am not one of these people, but I am in definite support of this meeting) to discuss the plain and simple truth... a lot of the younger riders could use some leadership... not just teaching them how to be faster... but leading by example and showing responsibility starts with personal choice. If you choose to ride "aggressively" on public roads then there will be a cost... that's part of what we agree to when we choose to do those things. Anyone who doesn't grasp this concept.... well, they get the big picture soon enough.

I don't want to preach, so I'm cutting this off and hopping down off my soapbox... If any of the senior members on the forums feels like it's time to accept a little responsibility, then I recommend that you contact Sunday Rider and ask about participating in the meeting he is going to conduct (no date set, but it'll probably be within the next week or so). I believe the general concept is to set the example through action... to offer inspiration to ride within your limits.

Johnny
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Motorcycle deaths unaccountably plunge after long rise

In other news, sports cars crash a lot

Last edited by Bevo; 05-04-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Motorcycle deaths unaccountably plunge after long rise

In other news, sports cars crash a lot
i;m going w/ this from your article

"The speculation included that the economy was keeping motorcyclists off the road, that a 42 percent drop in new motorcycle sales last year resulted in fewer novice riders and that publicity about deaths had heightened the awareness of both motorcyclists and motorists. "
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i;m going w/ this from your article

"The speculation included that the economy was keeping motorcyclists off the road, that a 42 percent drop in new motorcycle sales last year resulted in fewer novice riders and that publicity about deaths had heightened the awareness of both motorcyclists and motorists. "
I'm going with CBRs with C-ABS
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny77423 View Post
I have to agree with both of you... it is amoral (IMO) to sell a super sport liter bike to someone without any experience... But it does not alleviate the personal responsibility of the consumer either. Regulation is a step that should be taken, but the consumer is the one who should ultimately be held responsible for their own actions. Not everyone on a liter bike is going to kill themselves... I can think of one person in particular that I ride with often, who owns an exotic liter bike and knows their own limits and rides within them... But I also have rode with people who are on 600's that are probably lucky to have not killed themselves yet, and just aren't bright enough to realize the fact.

I agree that tiered licensing would be one way to give the utterly clueless a way of "growing" into a super sport bike... but the kids who wanted more power would just do engine swaps or install NOS ... etc etc etc... if there is a will there is a way and we cannot regulate id (the negative ego for those who have not had psych 101).

I think another thing we are overlooking here, is that it is more often than not a matter of place and time rather than choice of vehicle that kills most of these people... if you're on a cruiser, or a super sport... doesn't matter when you're taking a turn on a Texas FM at 100+ and hit a gravel patch that high sides your headfirst into a semi or a barbed wire fence.

From personal experience, I'm on an SV ... "low horsepower" by comparison... and I have had my share of close calls in the last few months... more so than I usually do... I've been riding 25 years (since I was 10, when I got an XR80 with my summer lawn mowing money)... but I never really got into "knee dragging" until this year... and I have come to realize that I need to get into a track group for that kind of riding and get another cruiser to commute on before I kill myself... and it's not a lack of skills that are getting me into trouble... It's WHERE I've been riding aggressively that has been the big issue. Granted I'm no expert, but I can handle a bike well enough... but when you're diving into a hard 90 degree turn at 80-90 and your smooth on the throttle and have your weight positioned just right... it means nothing when your back tire drifts a foot to the side because it loses traction on a road patch that is slicker than greased owl . At that point in time you just have to level with yourself and admit that you're doing something dangerous and accept the responsibility for your own actions ... whether it be continue riding in that fashion or not... The dealership isn't the one behind the bars hitting the throttle into triple digit speeds.

I've had 7 street bikes total, 2 of which were Harleys that went well over 100 mph, so (IMO) making this all about super sports is a rather skewed approach... it should be about responsibility more so than choice of brand or style.

I agree that we should not give matches to wayward pyromaniacs (figure of speech) but we should hold the individual accountable for their actions... so I see a lot of merit in both sides of your arguments.

Another point may be that we as adults (and we are all adults here, right???) should make the choices that are responsible, rather than egotistical. I believe we should also be realistic... I mean, the OP for this thread is on a Busa... no offense, but I HIGHLY doubt you bought that bike for the fuel economy. You wanted to go fast... so why are we "criticizing" others for making the same choice? No offense intended, but let's be HONEST with ourselves for a bit shall we.

If we're going to seriously address this issue, then let's seriously address it... I talked to Sunday Rider a bit about this and we were planning a sit down meeting with other senior members of the board (I am not one of these people, but I am in definite support of this meeting) to discuss the plain and simple truth... a lot of the younger riders could use some leadership... not just teaching them how to be faster... but leading by example and showing responsibility starts with personal choice. If you choose to ride "aggressively" on public roads then there will be a cost... that's part of what we agree to when we choose to do those things. Anyone who doesn't grasp this concept.... well, they get the big picture soon enough.

I don't want to preach, so I'm cutting this off and hopping down off my soapbox... If any of the senior members on the forums feels like it's time to accept a little responsibility, then I recommend that you contact Sunday Rider and ask about participating in the meeting he is going to conduct (no date set, but it'll probably be within the next week or so). I believe the general concept is to set the example through action... to offer inspiration to ride within your limits.

Johnny

...thats a lot of readiing...my A.D.D wont allow this..Mods please ban.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

86% of sportbike deaths were speed realted. NOt to bash but I'd wonder what percent of cruiser deaths were alcohol related?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
...thats a lot of readiing...my A.D.D wont allow this..Mods please ban.

LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Did you know that 98.65% of all statistics are completely fabricated???

LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny77423 View Post
Did you know that 98.65% of all statistics are completely fabricated???

LOL
Snopes said it's true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I'd prefer roads that make it safer to use a bike & improved driver awareness over tiered licensing.
We need biker only lanes for beginners.
Imagine how many people would ride to work if they didnt have to worry about some oblivious cager running them over. Would cut down on emmissions and traffic.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

I need biker only lanes
Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Vividkid

Commi-socialists...? If someone wants to buy a 150hp bike and crash it into a wall, that's on them. We don't need anymore f*cking government regulations.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement