Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Fascination With Leaning, Kneedragging?

i'm new to biking. my bike is for commuting so i am gradually putting a lot miles on it on the street. never been to the track(maybe eventually)

i'm on a few bike forums and from stories people tell or questions they ask, i get the impression many bikers see it as a big deal.

when i ride, i love to take turns which require leaning on a bike and i enjoy it but the less i have to lean on a turn, the safer i feel.

i dont want to get the bike that low to drag my knee on the road if i dont have to.

is there something about it i'm missing as a new rider? as in do i need to be working on leaning more? is that like a highly valuable riding skill?

my mindframe presently is to keep the bike as upright as possible too keep my safe.

just a curiousity question.
viper3ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaning a 600rr Infinite General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-26-2012 03:00 AM
Leaning busa Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-03-2010 09:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post

when i ride, i love to take turns which require leaning on a bike and i enjoy it but the less i have to lean on a turn, the safer i feel.

i dont want to get the bike that low to drag my knee on the road if i dont have to.
is there something about it i'm missing as a new rider? as in do i need to be working on leaning more? is that like a highly valuable riding skill?

my mindframe presently is to keep the bike as upright as possible too keep my safe.

just a curiousity question.
then u belong in a car

leaning the bike is riding it the way it was built for.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

the thrill of railing it thru a turn.

i havent been to the track but would love to go rip around a track and improve my skills.

you wanna turn n have fun, you gotta lean the . but BP is important as its not all about lean
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

It was said a couple days ago that dragging a knee is a result not a goal.

When you are going through a turn fast enough to require that level of lean angle, if your body position is correct, then your knee will drag. It's NOT something to try to do on the street. Pavement conditions can vary so much that is just a bad idea.
People should focus less on knee dragging and more on developing their skills and technique. If you develop them that far then the knee drag will happen.
On the other hand just because you have never done it, doesn't mean you are unskilled, it means you are riding within YOUR limits, as you should be.

Just ride your bike, enjoy it and be happy. If you want to learn more then come out to a trackday, you'll have fun and maybe become a better, safer, more accomplished rider.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

you dont have to lean to enjoy a bike.

give it time, and practice, practice, practice... dont learn the "tricks" learn the TRADE... one can only go so far to "drag knee" without knowing how to properly turn, and other associations that come with it. (and it ending disatrously) learn the turn. practice, learn the bike, practice, learn your equipment, practice....

slow is smooth, smooth is FAST.

DONT let others skills get into your learning curve, or above your head. everybody is different, everybody has thier own style within the "laws" of riding....it takes time to master yourself.

take your time, and listen to commons sense.

Last edited by GAU-8; 05-03-2010 at 04:25 PM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
then u belong in a car

leaning the bike is riding it the way it was built for.
i do belong in a car. and keep most of my speeding and craziness in my car.

i just needed a cheaper way to get around the town as my car get less daily driving friendly everyday that passes.

nevertheless, i'm not scared of leaning the bike.

my question here is is the right mindset to see how far i can lean the bike or should it be focused on getting through the next turn without trying to exaggerate how much the bike is leaned?

and please do not be a . give your input to the question or dont bother. i might not buy into some advice i get but when t goes downhill eventually and what i think i know fails, what i have read in the past maybe what i'll remember and would eventually save my life when.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Moc05
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
Because the farther you're leaned over the bigger your wiener is. As least thats the perception.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
It was said a couple days ago that dragging a knee is a result not a goal.

When you are going through a turn fast enough to require that level of lean angle, if your body position is correct, then your knee will drag. It's NOT something to try to do on the street. Pavement conditions can vary so much that is just a bad idea.
People should focus less on knee dragging and more on developing their skills and technique. If you develop them that far then the knee drag will happen.
On the other hand just because you have never done it, doesn't mean you are unskilled, it means you are riding within YOUR limits, as you should be.

Just ride your bike, enjoy it and be happy. If you want to learn more then come out to a trackday, you'll have fun and maybe become a better, safer, more accomplished rider.
ok, thaats my present mindset, i'm just trying to get input and make sure i'm thinking right.

i also ask because a few times i have gonbe into a curve with a certain amount of lean and halfway into it i have had to lean a lil more than i intended to on the turn. its somewhat unsettling for me and i just assume i was going too fast through the turn for my skills. so i'm asking as there is the possibility it could have been i just was not leaning the bike enough.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
dontbap()ssy

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

I think a lot of street riders look at dragging knee is a status symbol and the track guys under stand that if its done correctly it is the definition of good body position and correct line through the corner . So to answer your question dragging a knee is perceived in two different mind sets
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
my question here is:
is the right mindset to see how far i can lean the bike.
No

Quote:
or should it be focused on getting through the next turn without trying to exaggerate how much the bike is leaned?

Yes

Read my above post and then realize what I'm saying is that there is no "need" to lean further. For many it has become a goal, maybe to emulate the racers, to drag a knee.
It isn't necessary at any sane street speed. The track merely gives you the safe environment to practice at "not street safe speed", riding and turning your bike. This is one way to improve your skills.
If you want to learn these things the track is the place and many here will be glad to answer questions or help you get started. If this isn't what you want, then continue what you are doing. It sounds like you have a level head and you will be fine.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
so i'm asking as there is the possibility it could have been i just was not leaning the bike enough.
Yes, many riders have a completely logical feeling of distrust in traction, so they lean as little as possible.
If you are riding with any thought of living to see another day, your tires will grip more than you may realize.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

just ride within your limits, and dont push it too much. if u run wide, look deeper into the turn and countersteer some more.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
ok, thaats my present mindset, i'm just trying to get input and make sure i'm thinking right.

i also ask because a few times i have gonbe into a curve with a certain amount of lean and halfway into it i have had to lean a lil more than i intended to on the turn. its somewhat unsettling for me and i just assume i was going too fast through the turn for my skills. so i'm asking as there is the possibility it could have been i just was not leaning the bike enough.
Just learn at your own pace. Don't worry about going fast or dragging knees. You'll never need to drag a knee on the street anyway.

The goal is to actually NOT lean the bike. You get more traction when more of the tire is touching the road. Those few times where you had to lean 'more than intended' ... you probably weren't anywhere near the bike's limit. It just feels that way when you're first starting out. If you ever feel like the bike is ahead of you then you're going too fast for your skill level. Stay ahead of the bike. That being said, don't be afraid to lean if you need to. Identify where your limits are then slowly raise those limits. When you think you're skilled enough to push it, wait just a little longer.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Different Strokes for Different Folks...

ie Drag bikes, Stunt bikes, Show bikes, Stretched bikes, Road Racing Bieks... etc

PS Dragging knee does not neccessarily you have good Body Position
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

originally posted by Bevo..... pretty good information if you have the time to read!

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=135972
Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Because the farther you're leaned over the bigger your wiener is. As least thats the perception.
... up until their epeen get's caught in their chain and they wipe out on the street anyway. :-)
Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
originally posted by Bevo..... pretty good information if you have the time to read!

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=135972
just browsed through but interesting.

i never gave it second thought but i always assumed steering does the turning and leaning just helps but with sportsbikes, their steering response are so good that you dont need to steer much.

i know it was not a scientific assumption but when i took my msf back in 07, the rebel 250 bikes we used we had to keep upright and actually turn the handle bars to turn. there was no leaning but when i got on a sportsbike, the steering angle felt like if i turned it too much, i'll kill myslef so a little turning and then leaning to supplement it.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #18
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
just browsed through but interesting.

i never gave it second thought but i always assumed steering does the turning and leaning just helps but with sportsbikes, their steering response are so good that you dont need to steer much.

i know it was not a scientific assumption but when i took my msf back in 07, the rebel 250 bikes we used we had to keep upright and actually turn the handle bars to turn. there was no leaning but when i got on a sportsbike, the steering angle felt like if i turned it too much, i'll kill myslef so a little turning and then leaning to supplement it.
That was/is more a function of speed...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
... up until their epeen get's caught in their chain and they wipe out on the street anyway. :-)
that would be most unfortunate but gifted is the man that can do that.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #20
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Ride however comfortable and confident you feel(day by day, ride by ride.) Dont worry about everyone else.

Im always up for riding and myself, others that I ride with will ride w the person that is riding the most reserved that day. We dont make others feel like they have to keep up w a group. Be happy to ride w you sometime

Advertisement