MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Clutch not completely disengaging

My bike has been sitting for exactly a month with the drain pan off. Today I put in all the oil I had, 3.5 qts, and it barely took it to the add mark. Engine holds 4.1 qts, you only lose 3.5 qts when changing the oil and filter. So I'm assuming the clutch and tranny hold another .6 qts that leaked out and went completely dry in that month's time. It took about 5 tries of cranking the motor about 10 seconds each try before it started so the engine was definitely primed before starting. When I engaged 1st gear the bike lurched and the engine died. Clutch is adjusted all the way out. I can roll the bike in gear with the clutch lever in, but there is resistance. If it sounds like the clutch is sticking is there a way to prime it? If it's a problem with the clutch adjustment, is there any way to adjust it where the cable connects to the clutch cover?
And now for something completely different darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-27-2014 04:30 PM
Help!! My clutch isn't disengaging? mikes-si How To's and Q & A's 11 05-17-2013 11:11 PM
Clutch cable not fully disengaging tookerks How To's and Q & A's 8 02-01-2013 02:57 PM
Completely Straight Faced pinball The Circus 2 01-04-2013 06:33 PM
And now for something completely stupid Angamico General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 07-09-2008 07:02 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
GsxrRcr369

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

You probably need to take the clutches out and soak them over night then re-install, fill it up with oil and see how that works.

Im no mechanic but thats just my .02
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

sounds like the clutch plates got dried up...you might be looking at taking out the clutches, soaking them in oil for an hour and reinstalling them,...i just had to do this on my dads bike which had sat up for a period of time
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
You probably need to take the clutches out and soak them over night then re-install, fill it up with oil and see how that works.

Im no mechanic but thats just my .02
beat me to it lol just forgot to click post when i went for sammich but i agree with you, this happened on my dads bike
Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Vividkid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Just ride it...itll loosen up.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

It's all good. Added a little over half a quart overfilling it a little on purpose. Let it run for a few mins then shut it off and rolled it around in gear with the clutch in. Put on full choke so the motor wouldn't start and cranked it in gear, the bike stopped jumping forward with the starter after a few seconds.

Advertisement