Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #101
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Ummm. OK. Putting a street class together to teach all of the noobs how to ride - no offense, but your profile says that you have one year of experience and you've never been on a race track.

You may be the coolest nicest most level-headed guy on the planet. I don't know, and I don't know you so I'll give the benefit of the doubt. That's the problem with the interweb. I only know some of you by what you post - and that certainly works in reverse as well.

I'm not trying to flame you - I'm sure many others will pick up that ball and run with it. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

It's true that more time in the saddle does not always directly equate to greater skill. I've known people that have been riding for a couple years with better skill sets than some riding for longer. It does, however, have a direct impact on experience, judgement and knowledge. Who do YOU go to when you need advice and instruction?

Somewhere in my 20s I learned the hard way via a broken back. I thought my skill set was adequate, but was outdone by trying to keep pace with a few new friends - one of whom teaches for Kevin Schwantz now, but I didn't know how fast he was at the time. I got in over my head and paid with some vertebrae. I was by no means cocky then or now - I just didn't realize how much I didn't know. I knew at that point I had a choice - give up riding or learn how to ride better. I've never been a quitter.

I have seen more than enough people hurt and killed in my life in many different situations. Some of which were not only preventable, but caused directly by a lack of judgement and an inaccurate assesment of their own skills.

I remember being on the track at Talladega GPR on one of my first track days and thinking I was tearing it up pretty good. Wore out a pair of brand new pucks and started eating into the leg on my leathers before I realized it. My ego would have survived intact if it weren't for Opie Caylor, Josh Hayes and Brian Stokes being on the track at the same time and lapping me like I was sitting still. I went to guys like Brian, Opie, Ted Cobb and the other faster riders when I needed advice - and I got good info. Whatever you're telling the "noobs" make sure that it's good info as well.

And, nice bike. I'm more than a little partial to Ducs myself.
I think you are getting ahead of yourself here, our main goal is to reduce the accident rate at "racer road" (back road twisties)! This is directly related to the death of a member of this forum last saturday at racer road!

Our intention is to teach the many dangers of riding at RR, including wooden pallets in the middle of the turn, farmers driving big tractors, dogs, cyclists, gravel, etc. Once again, this is by no means to replace any track instruction as i mentioned before, but please understand that a lot of kids out there don't have the money for a track day and instead they go out there and ride those turns blindly and end up hurting themselves. I can't stress enough the importance of track days but for those kids that can't afford it we would like to offer them some kind of guidance.

As far as my experience in riding, all i can say is that our group ride those turns religiously every sunday morning for the past 7 years without a single accident! You are more than welcome to join our SMR and then make an educated assessment of our riding abilities. Some of our riders are pretty fast and you might even know a few if you race CMRA expert level, but our main emphasis is not speed but safety!

This new ride idea is not about "street vs track" or even about "my experience vs your experience", this is about saving lives.... so if you wanted let people know about your riding experience you should have said it on your introduction thread instead.

The purpose of this new ride is to help noob riders that don't have the means to afford a series of track days to improve their skills! We are organizing this ride with the best of our intentions hoping that this will at least give them the basic skills they need so they don't hurt themselves out there.

Last edited by sunday_rider; 05-03-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing The Right Thing Is Harder Than It Looks Sometimes Racer997 Off Topic 33 07-09-2009 06:08 AM
lean to the left lean to the right! MrGixxer7fitty Off Topic 22 07-18-2007 05:27 PM
Practice harder! A303 Off Topic 15 10-17-2006 10:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #102
LadyDuc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold
'89 Honda NT650 GT Hawk sold
'94 Suzuki Katana 750 sold
Not a bike but almost as fun; '05 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
I think you are getting ahead of yourself here, our main goal is to reduce the accident rate at "racer road" (back road twisties)! This is directly related to the death of a member of this forum last saturday at racer road!

Our intention is to teach the many dangers of riding at RR, including wooden pallets in the middle of the turn, farmers driving big tractors, dogs, cyclists, gravel, etc. Once again, this is by no means to replace any track instruction as i mentioned before, but please understand that a lot of kids out there don't have the money for a track day and instead they go out there and ride those turns blindly and end up hurting themselves. I can't stress enough the importance of track days but for those kids that can't afford it we would like to offer them some kind of guidance.

As far as my experience in riding, all i can say is that our group ride those turns religiously every sunday morning for the past 7 years without a single accident! You are more than welcome to join our SMR and then make an educated assessment of our riding abilities. Some of our riders are pretty fast and you might even know a few if you race CMRA expert level, but our main emphasis is not speed but safety!

This new ride idea is not about "street vs track" or even about "my experience vs your experience", this is about saving lives.... so if you wanted let people know about your riding experience you should have said it on your introduction thread instead.

The purpose of this new ride is to help noob riders that don't have the means to afford a series of track days to improve their skills! We are organizing this ride with the best of our intentions hoping that this will at least give them the basic skills they need so they don't hurt themselves out there.
Don't be a . He wasn't bragging about his riding experience. He was in a very nice and diplomatic way saying people with one year riding experience (as you advertise you have) shouldn't be giving advice to other newbies.

Me on the other hand, being an evil red head and all...I don't mind pointing out that it's people like you, the squids that know everything about everything who constantly dish out bad and dangerous advice that can and may result in causing one of your fellow riders to crash. Just saying
Old 05-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #103
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDuc View Post
Don't be a . He wasn't bragging about his riding experience. He was in a very nice and diplomatic way saying people with one year riding experience (as you advertise you have) shouldn't be giving advice to other newbies.

Me on the other hand, being an evil red head and all...I don't mind pointing out that it's people like you, the squids that know everything about everything who constantly dish out bad and dangerous advice that can and may result in causing one of your fellow riders to crash. Just saying
wow.... so you know me now? can you please do some homework before calling anybody a squid here..... Please, Can you show me one example of me giving bad and dangerous advice?

Its always best to reserve one's opinion about something or someone that you don't really know. Assuming something that you have no clear knowledge is just plain ignorant!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #104
LadyDuc

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold

Exhibit A:
Quote:
you dont really need to lean much at all on city street riding unless you are hitting the turns at triple digits. I am no expert but i found that people try to lean and drag knees for the wrong reasons. To lean more on your bike, you will need more speed....
Exhibit B:
Quote:
Wow nice videos Chris24..... Now let me clarify a few points here, my advise was purely based on my own personal experience in cornering and leaning the bike through the turns under normal street riding conditions, like i mentioned before, i am no expert in this matter but i do hold my own when it comes to riding. I also believe in giving advise based on what i can do and not by what somebody else can do, but that is just me lol

You on the other hand seems to know a great deal about dragging knees going in circles at a parking lot.... by posting a video of Valentino Rossi going through the corners does it make me an expert in the field? most likely NOT.... So my question to you is "Can you make any of those turns from the 3 videos you just posted"? If your answer is yes, then i would greatly appreciate if you can show me sometimes.... if your answer is no, then you are just one of the person that likes to talk like they know something!

It is obvious that we have not ridden together before but next time you go riding please shoot me a pm so i can learn from you and see if you have the "cojones and the little know how" that you speak of here! There are talkers and there are doers, lets find out which one are you shall we?

FYI dragging knees actually slows you down through the turns so this technique is only used at the track when its really required..... during normal street riding you will never have the need to drag knees unless its for a picture!

.....and remember, MEN are measured by what they Can Do and Not by what they can Say or Think they can do!
Exhibit C:
Quote:
I believe the TRACK is the best environment for anybody that wants to get better and faster SAFELY.... and by that i mean that you will need to push yourself and your bike more each time in order to get better and faster, so trying to push it on a street is quite a gamble.... specially for noob riders that don't understand lines, throttle control, braking, leaning, etc.
The track will provide you with all the theories so that you can absorb that knowledge and apply it at the track right away and practice!

To say that you can't learn on the street is not entirely true. I think the key word here is "SAFETY", and i believe only the track will give you that piece on mind that you need to just concentrate in the riding and nothing else.

I have never done a single track day in my life so everything that i have learned up to this point was strictly from back road riding (not highway riding). I have also used the same learning methods to coach other riders from our group and i can confidently say that most of them are better riders than they were before.

Our group and other senior members of this forum are tired of reading RIP theads all the times and this last week was the worst when we heard about RJ's (Soup) unfortunate death at RR. So now we are putting together a ride designed to teach the basics of riding back road twisties to all the noobs out there that have the need to improve their skills. Again we seriously advice that the TRACK is the best place to improve, but realistically we understand that most of the riders that end up in RIP threads are fairly new to riding so having a track day in their agenda is next to none. Please understand that this ride will never teach you more than the track, its only designed to cover the basics of back road riding so that at least the new riders will be better armed when hitting those turns.

Once we have all the details worked out i will post it asap. Any senior members interested in helping out with the coaching please let us know!
Quote:
wow.... so you know me now? can you please do some homework before calling anybody a squid here..... Please, Can you show me one example of me giving bad and dangerous advice?

Its always best to reserve one's opinion about something or someone that you don't really know. Assuming something that you have no clear knowledge is just plain ignorant!
Nowhere in my reply did I imply that I know you. Nor do I recall saying "I know you're a ". I said "don't be a ". I'm sorry if you are incapable of identifying the difference.

As for examples of bad and dangerous advice, see Exhibits A-C above. Oh and their from this thread alone. I didn't even cover the "talking out your " you do on a daily basis. But, I digress.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #105
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDuc View Post
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Nowhere in my reply did I imply that I know you. Nor do I recall saying "I know you're a ". I said "don't be a ". I'm sorry if you are incapable of identifying the difference.

As for examples of bad and dangerous advice, see Exhibits A-C above. Oh and their from this thread alone. I didn't even cover the "talking out your " you do on a daily basis. But, I digress.
Can you please elaborate on A to C? As far as the name calling, that simply reflects that lack of emotional control getting taken over by the loud mouth that you are.... oh well thats why gave men 2 heads to think better and women 2 lips to talk louder LMAO

Last edited by sunday_rider; 05-03-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #106
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #107
LadyDuc

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold

Quote:
Can you please elaborate on A to C? As far as the name calling, that simply reflects that lack of emotional control getting taken over by the loud mouth that you are.... oh well thats why gave men 2 heads to think better and women 2 lips to talk louder LMAO
As pointed out in the post above, aren't you the pot calling the kettle black.

Oh and to make such a statement as wome has 2 lips to talk louder only proves the good lord did not grace you with any respectable endowment in either "head" department.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #108
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Just go do a track day.

This is ridiculous.

www.ridesmart.info are the cheapest track days in Texas and free leather rentals for first time riders. Be about it. Or sit here and talk about it. Whatever.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #109
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
+1 w CDILL
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #110
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Just go do a track day.

This is ridiculous.

www.ridesmart.info are the cheapest track days in Texas and free leather rentals for first time riders. Be about it. Or sit here and talk about it. Whatever.
hahaha i am glad you are enjoying this Brandt..... yeah track day is on the agenda as i promised Will, just need to give it more time to heal up.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #111
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

track days are for posers. real men have chicken strips with dipping sauce.

i prefer honey mustard.
Closed Thread

Advertisement