MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #81
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

There is so much more to riding fast than just hanging your off the side of the bike. I can ride faster than many on the street without using that technique and faster yet by doing it correctly.

You aren't helping noobs by giving them partial information. If they want to get faster they need to learn it all. They need to learn to turn and to understand how they accomplish this. They need throttle and brake control. They need to look thru the corners and where they want to go. They need to understand lines, road surfaces, radius and grade and how all of this affects what they are trying to accomplish.

"Hang off and trust your tires" is a good way to get someone hurt. Go show them or take them to school or the track. Maybe they won't become another statistic.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing The Right Thing Is Harder Than It Looks Sometimes Racer997 Off Topic 33 07-09-2009 06:08 AM
lean to the left lean to the right! MrGixxer7fitty Off Topic 22 07-18-2007 05:27 PM
Practice harder! A303 Off Topic 15 10-17-2006 10:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #82
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

interesting. I have been sitting back reading this thread trying to pick out the facts and look past the swinging contest. Only one guy so far has taken me out and taught me some stuff. Have another guy on wednesday who wants to teach me as well. I appreciate the advice, but anyone who has ridden knows that its one thing to read about bikes but its something entirely different to actually put the lessons in motion. i am planning on doing a track day really soon, so that advice will be taken. If anyone wants to go riding sometime, my off days are tuesdays and wednesdays. I am free after 130 everyday. I am always down to strap up my helmet and roll. Just let me know.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #83
KeeBee
Old man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Im not going to give you any advice on how to learn this, other than get to a track day asap.

Thats your safest, most fun route. Trackdays are a blast for 99% of the riders out there and you can learn SOOO MUCH that you cant learn on the street.
Want to do a track day just afraid of crashing my bike at the track trying to learn. :( If I had extra bikes it wouldn't be a big deal. Just got my one and only.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #84
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
Want to do a track day just afraid of crashing my bike at the track trying to learn. :( If I had extra bikes it wouldn't be a big deal. Just got my one and only.
Thats another concern of mine. Dont wanna wreck my one and only bike.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #85
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
mr d you have wrecked already. please dude dont yourself over and wreck again by "learning" on the streets. it doesnt come over night. if you want to learn how to lean take it to the track.

you need to focus on learning the streets and what dangers are out there. ride your own ride. there is no where to "lean" in houston or around.

this thread is me off
The only reason I am listening to you is because you have proven yourself worth listening to. TRACK DAY HERE I COME.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #86
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

I am planning to go in june. (Earliest I can get in the book to get off work). Will go with whoever wants to go with me, but if not i will ride out by myself. i am going to learn more so than hang out.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #87
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:
mr d you have wrecked already. please dude dont yourself over and wreck again by "learning" on the streets. it doesnt come over night. if you want to learn how to lean take it to the track.

you need to focus on learning the streets and what dangers are out there. ride your own ride. there is no where to "lean" in houston or around.

this thread is me off
Agreed on all points......
You can't learn on the street..... I know SundayRider and the rest will argue against this but its the truth.

To the OP, think of it like this. Right now your skill is at some level, say 2 out of 10. In order to increase your riding skill to level 3, you need to push your comfort zone slightly. This may include a few run-offs, tire slips, etc as you correct your body position, lines, etc. Sounds elementary, but it's the simplest way to describe it.

NOW, the difference between trying this on the track is that you dont worry about the huge ditch 3ft off the shoulder, dogs running out in front of you, cars turning in front of you, and on and and on. At the track, there is usually a lot of runoff space, and none of the above cars or dogs. Also, you have an accomplished rider (instructor) instructing you on what to do and where you are wrong/confused.

Leaning more just means that you can't use as much throttle/ have less acceleration . Get to TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend with Ridesmart and us?!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #88
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGo View Post
You can't learn on the street..... I know SundayRider and the rest will argue against this but its the truth.

To the OP, think of it like this. Right now your skill is at some level, say 2 out of 10. In order to increase your riding skill to level 3, you need to push your comfort zone slightly. This may include a few run-offs, tire slips, etc as you correct your body position, lines, etc. Sounds elementary, but it's the simplest way to describe it.

NOW, the difference between trying this on the track is that you dont worry about the huge ditch 3ft off the shoulder, dogs running out in front of you, cars turning in front of you, and on and and on. At the track, there is usually a lot of runoff space, and none of the above cars or dogs. Also, you have an accomplished rider (instructor) instructing you on what to do and where you are wrong/confused.

Leaning more just means that you can't use as much throttle/ have less acceleration . Get to TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend with Ridesmart and us?!

Can't make it out this weekend but i get your drift. Don't ride streets in an effort to learn.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #89
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
texas world speedway? thats my favorite next to MSRH but then there is ECR ughhhh

anyways we will find you a truck to put the bike in the back of. no need to ride out there then ride back all beat up and tired. lots of people have space in their trailers or trucks for an extra bike. hmmmm Brandon BCFrancis has a truck
Not sure what class I want to do yet, I am going to go with the smallest class size
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #90
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
Not sure what class I want to do yet, I am going to go with the smallest class size
May I suggest GSS. You'll get your money's worth in turns alone
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #91
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Can't make it out this weekend but i get your drift. Don't ride streets in an effort to learn.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #92
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
Something to think about;

Forget that's it's called a "racetrack". Try to think of it as a twisty road that circles back on itself.
It isn't a race, it's a trackday. No trophies, no glory, just you and the instructor working to improve skills in a controlled environment.
The chances of crashing are reduced because all the traffic is going in the same direction, there are no cross streets and no soccer moms on their cell phones.
If, in the unlikely event you do crash, the risk of injury is lower (and there is an ambulance on site) and the damage to your bike is likely to be less because it won't have curbs, trees or parked cars to bounce off of.

Ride within your limitations and you will be fine.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #93
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:

Quote:
Level 1. It's beginners/fast "street" riders I'm signed up for level 1 again since I haven't been at TWS (Texas World Speedway) since last season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
May I suggest GSS. You'll get your money's worth in turns alone
GSS if your on a motard I was shocked when I hit 1st gear at that track during those parade laps a month or so back

Quote:
they do levels ... one two then three and four

gotta go... someone fill him in on this? i'll be back
1- beginner/ first timer
2- intermediate
3- advanced/ race school
4- cmra practice/ super fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Something to think about;

Forget that's it's called a "racetrack". Try to think of it as a twisty road that circles back on itself.
It isn't a race, it's a trackday. No trophies, no glory, just you and the instructor working to improve skills in a controlled environment.
The chances of crashing are reduced because all the traffic is going in the same direction, there are no cross streets and no soccer moms on their cell phones.
If, in the unlikely event you do crash, the risk of injury is lower (and there is an ambulance on site) and the damage to your bike is likely to be less because it won't have curbs, trees or parked cars to bounce off of.

Ride within your limitations and you will be fine.
Exactly. There is no "race" in it. Just someone letting us use their course
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #94
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

never been to a track day event either, after skimming through this thread im interested in doing some corner work to get a freebie.

mb ill see you out there bro
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #95
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
never been to a track day event either, after skimming through this thread im interested in doing some corner work to get a freebie.

mb ill see you out there bro
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #96
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
yessir i have a license, and taken that highly informative msf and ive been on dirtbikes since i was 9.
my first words were 'yaw yaw' that meant motorcycle
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #97
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:

I believe the TRACK is the best environment for anybody that wants to get better and faster SAFELY.... and by that i mean that you will need to push yourself and your bike more each time in order to get better and faster, so trying to push it on a street is quite a gamble.... specially for noob riders that don't understand lines, throttle control, braking, leaning, etc.
The track will provide you with all the theories so that you can absorb that knowledge and apply it at the track right away and practice!

To say that you can't learn on the street is not entirely true. I think the key word here is "SAFETY", and i believe only the track will give you that piece on mind that you need to just concentrate in the riding and nothing else.

I have never done a single track day in my life so everything that i have learned up to this point was strictly from back road riding (not highway riding). I have also used the same learning methods to coach other riders from our group and i can confidently say that most of them are better riders than they were before.

Our group and other senior members of this forum are tired of reading RIP theads all the times and this last week was the worst when we heard about RJ's (Soup) unfortunate death at RR. So now we are putting together a ride designed to teach the basics of riding back road twisties to all the noobs out there that have the need to improve their skills. Again we seriously advice that the TRACK is the best place to improve, but realistically we understand that most of the riders that end up in RIP threads are fairly new to riding so having a track day in their agenda is next to none. Please understand that this ride will never teach you more than the track, its only designed to cover the basics of back road riding so that at least the new riders will be better armed when hitting those turns.

Once we have all the details worked out i will post it asap. Any senior members interested in helping out with the coaching please let us know!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #98
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Ummm. OK. Putting a street class together to teach all of the noobs how to ride - no offense, but your profile says that you have one year of experience and you've never been on a race track.

You may be the coolest nicest most level-headed guy on the planet. I don't know, and I don't know you so I'll give the benefit of the doubt. That's the problem with the interweb. I only know some of you by what you post - and that certainly works in reverse as well.

I'm not trying to flame you - I'm sure many others will pick up that ball and run with it. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

It's true that more time in the saddle does not always directly equate to greater skill. I've known people that have been riding for a couple years with better skill sets than some riding for longer. It does, however, have a direct impact on experience, judgement and knowledge. Who do YOU go to when you need advice and instruction?

Somewhere in my 20s I learned the hard way via a broken back. I thought my skill set was adequate, but was outdone by trying to keep pace with a few new friends - one of whom teaches for Kevin Schwantz now, but I didn't know how fast he was at the time. I got in over my head and paid with some vertebrae. I was by no means cocky then or now - I just didn't realize how much I didn't know. I knew at that point I had a choice - give up riding or learn how to ride better. I've never been a quitter.

I have seen more than enough people hurt and killed in my life in many different situations. Some of which were not only preventable, but caused directly by a lack of judgement and an inaccurate assesment of their own skills.

I remember being on the track at Talladega GPR on one of my first track days and thinking I was tearing it up pretty good. Wore out a pair of brand new pucks and started eating into the leg on my leathers before I realized it. My ego would have survived intact if it weren't for Opie Caylor, Josh Hayes and Brian Stokes being on the track at the same time and lapping me like I was sitting still. I went to guys like Brian, Opie, Ted Cobb and the other faster riders when I needed advice - and I got good info. Whatever you're telling the "noobs" make sure that it's good info as well.

And, nice bike. I'm more than a little partial to Ducs myself.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #99
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

GSS if your on a motard I was shocked when I hit 1st gear at that track during those parade laps a month or so back
Yea, you can only learn to turn if you're in 6th gear
Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #100
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Whats a trackday?