MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #41
Ronin

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Black/White CBR 600RR (Leyla)
Red/Black CBR 600RR (Track)

Ben...have you read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II? It's pretty interesting stuff... the only actual way to steer a bike is through counter-steering, not leaning. The misconception on leaning to turn a bike comes from the fact that when people "lean" into a turn, they are actually subconsciously using their arms to counter-steer their bike. "Turning the handlebars" in order to counter-steer is by far the most efficient way to turn your bike. You don't need all that extra lean if you're not hitting the corner really really fast. The "lean" is actually putting more body weight off the side of the bike in order to keep the bike in a more upright position so you can gain more contact patch through the tires. PM or text me if you wanna know more about this, man.
Originally Posted by Benga View Post
Ronin is the best of the best guys. He has a kick wife. Got wasted at his place and she didnt complain or anything!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing The Right Thing Is Harder Than It Looks Sometimes Racer997 Off Topic 33 07-09-2009 06:08 AM
lean to the left lean to the right! MrGixxer7fitty Off Topic 22 07-18-2007 05:27 PM
Practice harder! A303 Off Topic 15 10-17-2006 10:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #42
306 That Could
Chromed out 1100!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi ZX-10R
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Sold)

I need to hit the track as well and I have about 2 friends im trying to get to go with me and 1 of em just moved to Austin......Its not time with me, its $$$. That and I dont have a way to get my bike over there but thats probably not gonna be that hard. Im telling yall 98% of my money goes to bills and other necessities. It sucks at times but I gotta do what I gotta do....I feel ya about the time thing cuz its the other end of the spectrum for me.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #43
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306 That Could View Post
I need to hit the track as well and I have about 2 friends im trying to get to go with me and 1 of em just moved to Austin......Its not time with me, its $$$. That and I dont have a way to get my bike over there but thats probably not gonna be that hard. Im telling yall 98% of my money goes to bills and other necessities. It sucks at times but I gotta do what I gotta do....I feel ya about the time thing cuz its the other end of the spectrum for me.
Dude.. sign up for the 8th.. www.ridesmart.info Ill find a way to get ur bike there if I have to load it up in the truck myself. What sucks is that you will want to do every one after that... I guarantee you prob wont wanna ride street for a while
Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #44
blaknwite

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

like most of these folks I ride street and track and if i had to give up one it would be street, no issue no second thought. I would sneak back on the street when no-one was looking though.
A high % of accidents are when the rider gives up on the bike and runs wide into traffic, ditch etc.
Think about it this way. Your tires and your bike are probably better suited to the cornering task than you. Let them do their job and keep tipping it in. The fear of a lowside that keeps you from "leaning" will not happen. They really only happen when you get on the gas too hard too soon.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #45
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
To lean more on your bike, you will need more speed....
O RLY?

stop posting advice now. thanks. goes for anyone else saying speed is needed to drag knee.

oh...and for good measure here is one on a sportbike for anyone who was thinking about making that arguement. shhh.

saying you need speed to drag knee is like saying you need speed to wheelie. you dont. you just need some cohones and a little know how.

WTH. here is one more. just for fun.

just a heads up. you can learn alot of things at a trackday, and just like this thread, some of them will be true! (most wont be). all you can do is make careful choices about who you take advice from, and remember alot of people like to talk like they know something. G/L in your endevour!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #46
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
tell you what...

give me a list of issues causing you NOT to go.

I can probably help with all of them.
Help me! help me! Chris

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #47
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
O RLY?

YouTube- Draggin' Knee on The Rebel

stop posting advice now. thanks. goes for anyone else saying speed is needed to drag knee.

oh...and for good measure here is one on a sportbike for anyone who was thinking about making that arguement. shhh.
YouTube- Drag a Knee at 29 mph

saying you need speed to drag knee is like saying you need speed to wheelie. you dont. you just need some cohones and a little know how.

YouTube- Dragging knee @ 10mph - Unedited

just a heads up. you can learn alot of things at a trackday, and just like this thread, some of them will be true! (most wont be). all you can do is make careful choices about who you take advice from, and remember alot of people like to talk like they know something. G/L in your endevour!
Really dude? Were talking about a fixed corner (I.E. THE STREET) its obvious thats where he wants to go fast. The only way to lean more through a FIXED turn (street or track) is to go faster or completely cross up your body position, and forcing the bike down (very bad idea). U wasted a lot of time posting vids of someone riding in a circle. Now tell me where you see a turn on the street that any of that would be advisable..

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 05-02-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #48
LadyDuc

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold
'89 Honda NT650 GT Hawk sold
'94 Suzuki Katana 750 sold
Not a bike but almost as fun; '05 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
The only reason i ask is because the times I have gone down its because I ran wide and subsequently "went down". I know I need to go on some rides and track days but I cant muster up the gaul if I am not sure I even know HOW to lean.

If you're crashing because your cornering technique needs improvement you may want to consider taking race school rather than attending a track day. Track days do have novice classes and offer a little advice and direction but the race school would be more beneficial.

I don't know what kind of riding schools are around here being new to the area. I took the Ed Bargy race school about 10 years ago. It's not that I had an interest in racing it was more of a desire to increase my knowledge and learn how to appropriately handle cornering; correct body position, entering and exiting a corner etc. I also learned to identify the various types of corners (camber, off camber, decreasing raidus, bowl, carousel etc.) Once you know how to identify the different types of corners you will also learn lines necessary to execute said corners safely.

One of the other benefits from the race school would be the technique of counter steering. This is something you will need to learn and be comfortable with if you have the desire to corner at a high rate of speed.

Also your rate of speed while leaning should be dictated by your level of expertise. If you're a novice, maintain speed limit until your skill and comfort level grow to accomodate a higher rate of speed.

I'm sure there are some out there who will disagree with this, but if the race school is out of your budget you could pick up Keith Code's book "Twist of the Wrist". He has a couple of books and tapes (not sure if he's gone to DVD yet) about high performance techniques. I have both books and the VHS tapeand read the books before taking the race school. I'd be willing to loan you the books and tape if you'd like.

At the end of the day everyone has their opinions about what you should or should not do. I find it in my best interest to seek advice from professionals and those with high level riding skills. It's worked for me so far and I've been safely riding and thankfully so far without injury for 12 years.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #49
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
O RLY?

Did you even watch those videos??? The first video had the rider that was all crossed up and off the seat completely, the second one didnt even touch their knee, the third one is some dude messing around on his bike getting his entire over the seat.

I tihnk you are the one who likes to talk like they know something...

BTW those riders are going really fast for the turn radius they are performing.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!

Last edited by AJFLo; 05-02-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #50
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Dragging knee is a result, not a goal like those vids you posted.
I can drag knee on my mini, and still get my handed to me by guys who aren't even close to dragging knee.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #51
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
O RLY?

Wow nice videos Chris24..... Now let me clarify a few points here, my advise was purely based on my own personal experience in cornering and leaning the bike through the turns under normal street riding conditions, like i mentioned before, i am no expert in this matter but i do hold my own when it comes to riding. I also believe in giving advise based on what i can do and not by what somebody else can do, but that is just me lol

You on the other hand seems to know a great deal about dragging knees going in circles at a parking lot.... by posting a video of Valentino Rossi going through the corners does it make me an expert in the field? most likely NOT.... So my question to you is "Can you make any of those turns from the 3 videos you just posted"? If your answer is yes, then i would greatly appreciate if you can show me sometimes.... if your answer is no, then you are just one of the person that likes to talk like they know something!

It is obvious that we have not ridden together before but next time you go riding please shoot me a pm so i can learn from you and see if you have the "cojones and the little know how" that you speak of here! There are talkers and there are doers, lets find out which one are you shall we?

FYI dragging knees actually slows you down through the turns so this technique is only used at the track when its really required..... during normal street riding you will never have the need to drag knees unless its for a picture!

.....and remember, MEN are measured by what they Can Do and Not by what they can Say or Think they can do!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #52
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
O RLY?

Speed has nothing to do with wheelies! The key work here is "TORQUE"! Most bike are geared for the street so they reach their peak torque at higher RPM, you can achieve the same torque by changing the gearing ratio of your bike (front/rear sprockets) that way you reach peak torque a lot sooner at a much slower speed! Your understanding of riding and motorcycles really make me doubt your qualifications for giving sound advise.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #53
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #54
SeaBasss

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

Look Press & Roll MSF all the way.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #55
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Dragging knee is a result, not a goal like those vids you posted.
I can drag knee on my mini, and still get my handed to me by guys who aren't even close to dragging knee.
I was gonna say this.
It amazes me that so many people survive riding motorcycles at all.

To the OP, if you haven't,
1) ...take MSF.
2) Practice the techniques in parking lots until you are proficient enough to use them on the street.
3) Do a trackday as soon as possible. I or many others will be glad to help you get started. Don't be intimidated because we all were newbs at one time. It isn't about ego or machismo, it's about fun and improvement.
4) Remember what Scorpio said, "Dragging a knee is a result, NOT a goal". When you are using proper technique, you will reach a level of skill that will allow speeds high enough and the body position to touch a knee as a result.
That knee touching down should actually catch you a little off guard. (don't worry it doesn't grab or upset you at all, it's really the sound it makes that startles you)
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #56
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Oh guys. I didnt wanna open up the pandora's box of motorcycles.

Josh: I will hit you up for that book.

LadyducL: I would love the tapes. Just have to find a VCR haha.

Regardless, I am signing up for a trackday soon and I have a couple of northside riders wanting to go with me. I guess we can make this a north side event. Don't really care. Just going to get my skill up.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #57
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Speed has nothing to do with wheelies! The key work here is "TORQUE"! Most bike are geared for the street so they reach their peak torque at higher RPM, you can achieve the same torque by changing the gearing ratio of your bike (front/rear sprockets) that way you reach peak torque a lot sooner at a much slower speed! Your understanding of riding and motorcycles really make me doubt your qualifications for giving sound advise.
yeah..thats what i said. way to disagree with me when i said the same thing. learn to read.

...and you can clutch up a wheelie with stock sprockets and still not have to go fast.

im gonna off alot of people saying this but i dont care....the opinions of 99% of trackdayers are irrelevant. by definition they are in the 99th percentile. if they were any good at it, they would be in the 1% that are good enough to race. if they are great they would by in the 0.01 or less that race and win.

i would take advice from decent racers, but not the trackday wanna-bes that have too much money and like to dress up and pretend.

UH OH! here come all the trackdayers who are gonna swear that they could be right behind rossi or whoever if they wanted to be...its just their job pushing a pencil is too important to them...riiiiiighhhht!

FLAME SUIT ON!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #58
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
yeah..thats what i said. way to disagree with me when i said the same thing. learn to read.

...and you can clutch up a wheelie with stock sprockets and still not have to go fast.

im gonna off alot of people saying this but i dont care....the opinions of 99% of trackdayers are irrelevant. by definition they are in the 99th percentile. if they were any good at it, they would be in the 1% that are good enough to race. if they are great they would by in the 0.01 or less that race and win.

i would take advice from decent racers, but not the trackday wanna-bes that have too much money and like to dress up and pretend.

UH OH! here come all the trackdayers who are gonna swear that they could be right behind rossi or whoever if they wanted to be...its just their job pushing a pencil is too important to them...riiiiiighhhht!

FLAME SUIT ON!

We're trying to steer this guy in the right direction and you come in here posting vids of some clowns doing circles in a parking lot.
I'll assume your not a pro 1% racer yourself since you really had nothing good to add to this thread. Correct?

Last edited by Scorpio; 05-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #59
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Hey Chris24, i think most of us on here agree that you are the only wannabe in here that talks like you know something, but the reality is that talk is cheap if you cant back it up

When are you going to show me some of your skills? Like i said it before to another trash talker..... i will let my riding do the talking and no the way around!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #60
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
Closed Thread

Advertisement