MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #161
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20g86a View Post
Simply look at the label from the EPA on your frame
Nope - there isn't one, at least not one which identifies noise levels.
Quote:
since you have removed the oem pipe that also had the label
Actually I have not. The factory header pipe is still very much there. On the other hand, there are a set of replacement mufflers which are most emphatically NOT stamped "For off road use only".

Oh - i still have the factory cans too and nope, no label or EPA stamping
Quote:
...don't you know your bike...
Didn't stop you from making assumptions now did it?
Quote:
look at the label..it tells you at what rpm your bike was tested with the oem pipe and that it does not emit more than 80db at that rpm
Again, I'm real sorry for you, but you're incorrect. No label determining that.

Now it DOES say that it met emissions standards for the year 2009, but this is not noise compliance. Someone else posted the statute though, and the standard is 92dB at idle, and 96dB at throttle. That's pretty damned loud, and WAY louder than 80dB. (remember, the decibel scale is logarithmic not linear)
Quote:
..come on guys..at least know the capabilities of your bike and the laws that govern that bike....
I do. Unfortunately, HPD seems to have in its employ an officer who does not know these laws and believes his personal ignorance is permission to enforce a fantasy requirement.
Quote:
the 80 db limit is the limit that offers the least amount of protection to the public. Rick HPD
Least amount? Whatever....

80dB is pretty quiet. Its about the volume of a garbage disposal.

You may wish to take a look at the chart I've linked to below. In it, you will see examples of real world noise which exceeds the fictitious 80dB limit you have taken upon yourself to impose.

http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holtsclaw Half-Fast General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 10-19-2011 11:50 AM
Holtsclaw? Enough Already NewRider Off Topic 11 11-02-2010 05:28 PM
Psycho girlfriend gsxrjai Off Topic 46 12-09-2009 01:52 PM
Psycho Test Lobo Off Topic 11 02-28-2006 10:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #162
Tri

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6
2005 R6 - Sold :*[

Quote:
I don't think that myself or anyone else can enlighten a closed and disrespectful mind. You are full of yourself and will continue to function in a self serving mindless manner...I can't change that nor can TDC, you are who you are and the rest of us must simply tolerate you as you are. Rick HPD
how am i being disrespectful and close minded? i asked if theres anything you can do about it. provided research on why i think something should be done about it.

i really would like to know why its ok for the lawn mower to break the law while my exhaust cant?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #163
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
The legal dba is 80 for a street motorcycle in the United States. There was a dba of 83 in the early 80s or 70s but that was adjusted via the EPA.
Well should I just give you my address now and you mail it to me?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #164
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Quote:
Like some other States and Municipalities, loud exhaust violation convictions should be moving violations, with a subsequent violation used as probable cause to tow the offending vehicle.
OK. Now you took it too far. Making a loud exhaust ticket a moving violation is retarded. Do you think no front plate tickets and tickets for LP bulb being out should be moving violations too?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #165
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
OK. Now you took it too far. Making a loud exhaust ticket a moving violation is retarded. I guess you think no front plate tickets and tickets for LP bulb being out should be moving violations too.
He wants more power.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #166
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Yes, and I get paid $55.20 an hour to come sit with you and your attorney in court so please do, come to court. You will love the efficiency with which your case is handled and the way your attorney rapes your wallet.
Well each one of my tickets cost twice as much as my attorney so its worth it and you should see my smile as I walk away scotch clean.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #167
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
The legal dba is 80 for a street motorcycle in the United States. There was a dba of 83 in the early 80s or 70s but that was adjusted via the EPA.
The EPA label came off my bike but I'm pretty sure it was in the 90's. The stock exhaust is rated at 99db at 6000 rpm. Can't remember what the idle rating is
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #168
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
You will love the efficiency with which your case is handled and the way your attorney rapes your wallet.
^^True story

I'd rather with handful of razor blades and salt than spend a day at the hilarious joke known as the Houston Municipal Court.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #169
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #170
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
Well each one of my tickets cost twice as much as my attorney so its worth it and you should see my smile as I walk away scotch clean.
To be honest, I doubt most LEO's give a whether you walked away with a clean record or not. Either way, the LEO gets paid, usually overtime, to be there in court while you miss work and wait hours on a bench in a courtroom while he goes to the LEO & attorneys break room and chat with all his buddies over coffee. And in the end, no matter if your 100% innocent, your still out of money and/or time, meanwhile he just made extra beer money.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #171
JetG

Quote:
Yes, and I get paid $55.20 an hour to come sit with you and your attorney in court so please do, come to court. You will love the efficiency with which your case is handled and the way your attorney rapes your wallet.
LOL that is about as stupid a response that I have heard. I have sat with my attorney, and it cost me the same $75-100 each time. Flat rate for tickets I use Paul Koubosh, seems to work out just fine.

I guess we just found out the real reason your writing tickets to be a TAX on our system to pay you your 55.20 a hour. I will and have always showed up for court, no reason not to.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #172
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Nope - there isn't one, at least not one which identifies noise levels.

Actually I have not. The factory header pipe is still very much there. On the other hand, there are a set of replacement mufflers which are most emphatically NOT stamped "For off road use only".

Oh - i still have the factory cans too and nope, no label or EPA stamping

Didn't stop you from making assumptions now did it?

Again, I'm real sorry for you, but you're incorrect. No label determining that.

Now it DOES say that it met emissions standards for the year 2009, but this is not noise compliance. Someone else posted the statute though, and the standard is 92dB at idle, and 96dB at throttle. That's pretty damned loud, and WAY louder than 80dB. (remember, the decibel scale is logarithmic not linear)

I do. Unfortunately, HPD seems to have in its employ an officer who does not know these laws and believes his personal ignorance is permission to enforce a fantasy requirement.

Least amount? Whatever....

80dB is pretty quiet. Its about the volume of a garbage disposal.

You may wish to take a look at the chart I've linked to below. In it, you will see examples of real world noise which exceeds the fictitious 80dB limit you have taken upon yourself to impose.

http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm

Wow cop is getting railed about laws, come on you should at least know how to enforce the law.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #173
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

And why are we arguing back and forth about the exact dB, is this guy actually pulling out a meter on the side of the road, i thought we already determined early on he was not.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #174
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
To be honest, I doubt most LEO's give a whether you walked away with a clean record or not. Either way, the LEO gets paid, usually overtime, to be there in court while you miss work and wait hours on a bench in a courtroom while he goes to the LEO & attorneys break room and chat with all his buddies over coffee. And in the end, no matter if your 100% innocent, your still out of money and/or time, meanwhile he just made extra beer money.
Well too be honest I have alot of respect for cops but not this one and this is one that gets bothered when I get off clean, so I dropped the phrase believe me I am not blind of the situation , I understand the inner workings, I am not one of these random idiots, thanks for pointing it out either way.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #175
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
actually the Municipal Court looses money...by the time the city pays the officer to attend, the judges to adjudicate, the city attorney's to try the case, the record keeping, warrant file maintenance..the court is a deficit in the budget
hrmm....maybe we should do away with it then.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #176
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
It took your time, your effort, a readjustment of your schedule, your money...because you choose to be disrespectful to others...you paid in more ways than one...actually the Municipal Court looses money...by the time the city pays the officer to attend, the judges to adjudicate, the city attorney's to try the case, the record keeping, warrant file maintenance..the court is a deficit in the budget...just because people don't take care of their business and abuse the privilege (not a right) to operate a motor vehicle. Rick HPD
Yeah I am well aware of officers writing tickets to hassle you knowing it will not stick, I can not remember the phrase could you refresh me?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #177
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
Well too be honest I have alot of respect for cops but not this one and this is one that gets bothered when I get off clean, so I dropped the phrase believe me I am not blind of the situation , I understand the inner workings, I am not one of these random idiots, thanks for pointing it out either way.
I guess I should have also noted, when I said most cops don't give a ....the ones that DO take traffic offense cases personally need to get a fcking life.

I know for a while there was a few traffic LEOs in HPD who had a pot going on who could pull over a certain someone who made youtube videos showing his use of radar detectors and laser jammers. I thought that was hilarious.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #178
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
I guess I should have also noted, when I said most cops don't give a ....the ones that DO take traffic offense cases personally need to get a fcking life.

I know for a while there was a few traffic LEOs in HPD who had a pot going on who could pull over a certain someone who made youtube videos showing his use of radar detectors and laser jammers. I thought that was hilarious.
That sounds awesome.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #179
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
No Sir, if you walk away from court having just paid you attorney fees I could not care less...I did my job...I enforced the law as it is written and made my best attempt to protect the rights of those in my area...if the judicial system fails I can't be bothered with such nonsense...that is the cost of policing a free society...but with that said...I will continue to do my job and I do understand that enforcement is a completely separate entity from the judicial aspect...they have their responsibilities and I have mine...enjoy...and Have a nice day! Rick HPD
No, YOU have a good day, go out there and break the law tiger! Over and over again happy hunting!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #180
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Long story short, if you guys want to be douchenozzles with insansely annoying exhausts, just stay out of this guys beat:

westside
Closed Thread

Advertisement