MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #741
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
I understand that is your defense, however, the company that produces them states otherwise. I'm sure it's a liability thing, but still...

Furthermore, I specifically inquired about Texas, not that I think they have any factual knowledge of the laws governing Texas or Houston specifically.
So what you're getting is the stock "CYA" response - as you would expect.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holtsclaw Half-Fast General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 10-19-2011 11:50 AM
Holtsclaw? Enough Already NewRider Off Topic 11 11-02-2010 05:28 PM
Psycho girlfriend gsxrjai Off Topic 46 12-09-2009 01:52 PM
Psycho Test Lobo Off Topic 11 02-28-2006 10:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #742
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fairedfz1 View Post
well then why isn't he targeting all the hoopty lawn mowing trucks or the other 50,000 pieces of riding around this town... wouldn't that make this harassment or discrimination?
Simple - those people haven't the disposable income he believes HD riders or the owners of high performance cars have.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #743
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

They put that so they dont have to test the stuff and to avoid crazy state by state documantation.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #744
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
He was even SPECIFICALLY ordered by his department to stop writing tickets for it.
It's significant to note that he had this overturned in the courts, who deemed the tickets were within his legal boundaries.

This may or may not have been posted already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Traffic Code 547.604 Texas Exhaust Systems
"Muffler Required," states: "A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise." Further, "[a] person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle."
and in layman's terms:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehow
ēUnder the Texas Transportation Code, Section 20.15, Texas requires that every motor vehicle be equipped with a muffler, in constant operation, at all times. The muffler must be for the reduction of noise. The muffler must be intact, in condition similar to when new; it cannot have been patched or repaired. Note that exhaust sound decibels are not checked during exhaust inspections so long as the exhaust is not leaking or incomplete.
Texas Code Requirements
ēUnder Section 547.604 of the Texas Transportation Code, all motor vehicles must be equipped with a muffler, in good working order that prevents excessive or unusual noise. Further, the exhaust mufflers may not be bypassed.
Excessive and Unusual
ēSince Texas lacks specific decibel guidance, "excessive and unusual" is the applicable standard. In Aguilar v. State of Texas, a Texas appellate court reviewed a constitutional challenge claiming that the language was vague, and thus unenforceable since Section 547.604 does not specify a decibel level. The court rejected this challenge, noting that the terms "imply that noise must be outside normal standards for motor vehicles, which ordinary persons can objectively determine."
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #745
06fairedfz1
rslts may vary

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2004 raven r1
2009 sportsman 500

Quote:
Simple - those people haven't the disposable income he believes HD riders or the owners of high performance cars have.
If he were halafway intelligent he would be targeting them knowing that if he puts them in jail they don't have the money to bail themselves out. This would get rid of his "noise" issue since that's what this is all about. Pulling over a guy with "loads" of money knowing he will just bail himself out is pretty pointless. Funny how I haven't said "douchenozzle" comment on any of this... I say we do form a huge ride and drive in circle around him and watch him try to write 50-100 bikes a ticket.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #746
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
So what you're getting is the stock "CYA" response - as you would expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
They put that so they dont have to test the stuff and to avoid crazy state by state documantation.
I 100% agree but unfortunately it certainly doesn't help your case when you consider you bought a product deemed "for racing only."
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #747
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
It's significant to note that he had this overturned in the courts, who deemed the tickets were within his legal boundaries.

This may or may not have been posted already:

and in layman's terms:
Yep - excessive and unusual...and most bikes do not create excessive or unusual noise - especially considering WHERE people are pulled over.

Hwy 6 and Westheimer is not exactly what you would call a sleepy suburban cul-de-sac.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #748
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Yep - excessive and unusual...and most bikes do not create excessive or unusual noise - especially considering WHERE people are pulled over.

Hwy 6 and Westheimer is not exactly what you would call a sleepy suburban cul-de-sac.
One could argue "unusual" could be anything besides factory. Like I said, I definitely don't agree with it. So I remember you saying he kept going back & forth on the charges, what exactly were you charged with when you met with the Judge?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #749
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
it also states 68dB for non-residential. you can't drive ANY car on the highway at 60mph without the wind noise and tire noise being over 68dB. go stand beside the freeway with a dosimeter and see what type of reading you get
Probably nothing seeing as how a dosimeter measures how much radiation you absorb....

Just sayin.......

Sorry. I do X-Ray work and we hafta wear em when we go do x-rays.....

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #750
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by del240z View Post
Probably nothing seeing as how a dosimeter measures how much radiation you absorb....

Just sayin.......

Well, how about a geiger counter?

Reminds me of Oswald Bates on In Living Color.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #751
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:

Just sayin.......

They are for sound too fool
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #752
Rachy Rach
Nut up or Shut up!

Bike(s):
07 Yamaha r6 - Sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
it also states 68dB for non-residential. you can't drive ANY car on the highway at 60mph without the wind noise and tire noise being over 68dB. go stand beside the freeway with a dosimeter and see what type of reading you get
Non-residential property, meaning commercial property.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #753
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Dosimeters are worn by the employee in order to determine the amount of noise or dosage that the employee is exposed to during the workshift or a sampling period.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #754
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
One could argue "unusual" could be anything besides factory. Like I said, I definitely don't agree with it. So I remember you saying he kept going back & forth on the charges, what exactly were you charged with when you met with the Judge?
Havent met with the judge yet. Dont want to go into details too much more than I already have since we're still outstanding on the criminal side
Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #755
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Well, how about a geiger counter?

Reminds me of Oswald Bates on In Living Color.
Dont even get me started on that . Chevron Cedar Bayou Instrument techs carry that around when were out shooting....

Quote:
Quiet you!!!!

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #756
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:

Noise dosimeter. However, a decibal meter would be more accurate for this purpose.

Last edited by a forum moderator; 11-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #757
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Havent met with the judge yet. Dont want to go into details too much more than I already have since we're still outstanding on the criminal side
You didn't meet with a judge to go over the charges before you were released? I also don't see the harm in stating your charges, not like the city doesn't already know
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #758
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Bike(s):

Quote:

Noise dosimeter.

Fail.
Scuse me.....Phones for you........

A Mr. GTFO called........

I keed I keed......

Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #759
06fairedfz1
rslts may vary

Bike(s):
2004 raven r1
2009 sportsman 500

Quote:
Dont even get me started on that . Chevron Cedar Bayou Instrument techs carry that around when were out shooting....
You work FOR chevron or as contract? My Dad is an electrician out there...

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #760
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Scuse me.....Phones for you........

A Mr. GTFO called........

I keed I keed......
I edited my post also
Closed Thread

Advertisement