MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #401
Mr.D

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The last thing I need is someone rear-ending my
I second this notion.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holtsclaw Half-Fast General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 10-19-2011 11:50 AM
Holtsclaw? Enough Already NewRider Off Topic 11 11-02-2010 05:28 PM
Psycho girlfriend gsxrjai Off Topic 46 12-09-2009 01:52 PM
Psycho Test Lobo Off Topic 11 02-28-2006 10:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #402
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
i nominate this thread for Thread of the year
Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #403
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

All in favor say "aye"
Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #404
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Coleslaw for douche of the year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #405
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
let me get this straight because i am not a scientist. so because the exhaust directs the sound backwards, it cannot be heard on the side of the bike?

so lets say your stock exhaust was 80db(thanks officer ) and you got an aftermarket exhaust thats 120db. because this aftermarket exhaust is pointing backwards are you insinuating that a motorist beside you on a local traffic packed road is going to hear only 80db from the side thereby making the louder exhaust pointless?

or did i get the direction argument wrong?
Let's start, that for some reason I quoted/responded to someone else, you appear to think it was directed at you.

First off, as stated...if your crusing along maintaining position of midpoint of a car in an adjacent lane, you're not riding safe. Yea in heavy traffic it can be a pita not to be in that position, but it's not impossible... but in that position the driver is NOT getting the 'full' note of your exhaust. This does get the question, what is the actual level...
Anyone behind you is, but that's not going to do squat for you with someone changing lanes.
If you're moving fast enough, all your really doing is going to annoy or scare the out of anyone as you pass em, that doesn't do a fat lot of good either.
So you upgrade your exhaust from 80db to 120 db, that does not neccessarily equate to a 40db increase to the sides/front.
Ears.... you ever notice that people people tend to 'hear' better from the side/head-on than from the rear.

There's another factor....that brings the issue to a wall. At what point do your individual rights, overwhelm the rights of others? DO you think, that a car made in 1960 has same capability of sound damping as a car made in 2010? Do you think they won't continue to improve sound damping capabilities within cars? Let's presume they do...does this mean the noise level of exhaust should be allowed to increase?

So, in all.. yea a louder exhaust can have some...but likely minimal impact on an increase in safety and quickly approaches a point of being both a health issue and annoyance. It definitly not something that should be relied on as a 'safey' measure by any means. Go loud enough and you become a hazard and potentially put yourself at more risk than less.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #406
friedtofu

Send a message via AIM to friedtofu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Are your friends 50-60 years old? Consider, Ot for $20-$30 is $30-45...so for $55.20, base of 36.8.

Loud pipes...comparing to headlights? It kills me that ya'll keep ignoring the directional aspect of this stuff.
What I meant was the rate of $20-$30 per hour is the actual pay rate they receive in court. That is including their overtime sir, unless you actually believe their salary averages out to $36.80 per hour on a regular basis. So you're telling me the City of Houston doles out $70,656 for each and every cop?

Why don't you try thinking before you post.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #407
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedtofu View Post
What I meant was the rate of $20-$30 per hour is the actual pay rate they receive in court. That is including their overtime sir, unless you actually believe their salary averages out to $36.80 per hour on a regular basis. So you're telling me the City of Houston doles out $70,656 for each and every cop?

$20/hr is nothing when it's OT pay, if he makes $15/hr OT= $22/hr, and $15/hr is rookie pay.. so you can do the math at $30/hr or more.

and yeah $70k for a senior cop sounds about right.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #408
JetG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
$20/hr is nothing when it's OT pay, if he makes $15/hr OT= $22/hr, and $15/hr is rookie pay.. so you can do the math at $30/hr or more.

and yeah $70k for a senior cop sounds about right.
+1 being that this cop is a senior citizen he probably is making that in OT why I never questioned it either.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #409
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
Let's start, that for some reason I quoted/responded to someone else, you appear to think it was directed at you.

First off, as stated...if your crusing along maintaining position of midpoint of a car in an adjacent lane, you're not riding safe. Yea in heavy traffic it can be a pita not to be in that position, but it's not impossible... but in that position the driver is NOT getting the 'full' note of your exhaust. This does get the question, what is the actual level...
Anyone behind you is, but that's not going to do squat for you with someone changing lanes.
If you're moving fast enough, all your really doing is going to annoy or scare the out of anyone as you pass em, that doesn't do a fat lot of good either.
So you upgrade your exhaust from 80db to 120 db, that does not neccessarily equate to a 40db increase to the sides/front.
Ears.... you ever notice that people people tend to 'hear' better from the side/head-on than from the rear.

oh, and i dont think it is about me. i just think its an open discussion so i could raise my post count with my own opinion which really does not change anything but my post count just like yours

There's another factor....that brings the issue to a wall. At what point do your individual rights, overwhelm the rights of others? DO you think, that a car made in 1960 has same capability of sound damping as a car made in 2010? Do you think they won't continue to improve sound damping capabilities within cars? Let's presume they do...does this mean the noise level of exhaust should be allowed to increase?

So, in all.. yea a louder exhaust can have some...but likely minimal impact on an increase in safety and quickly approaches a point of being both a health issue and annoyance. It definitly not something that should be relied on as a 'safey' measure by any means. Go loud enough and you become a hazard and potentially put yourself at more risk than less.
i do not disagree with any of the above.

that minimal effect a "louder than stock" sounding exhaust may have in alerting someone you are might be the difference between you trading paint with thaat motorist or not.

honestly, people who are pro-louder exhaust for the most part dont put their lives on it, they(including me) just want to raise our chances of being noticed even if its by 00000.1%

but guys who are anti loud exhausts generally make it sound like the pro-exhaust guys are all running open headers going 80mph on 3rd gear with no gear or knowlegde of how to riide a motorcycle.

i ride with my highbeams always on. why because, i'll rather annoy a driver and have him flash his light at me than have him ot see me. selfish? totally! so is self preservation.

about the issue of riding beside a car, 10 minutes ago i came from 610 N onto 59 south. i had a good "more than necessary space" in front of me from the car in front.

as soon as the ramp ended, the guys coming from 610S unto 59S had their lane join with mine without any merging so i was beside a long line of cars riding each others bumper and then the guys who were already on 59 got on my left side, same situation. i was riding my bro's new bike ZX6R which is quiter than a prius. i was riding mellow anyways so i just kept my eyes open just in case someone was in too much hurry to use their mirrors. at that point, i started thinking how full of it it is to claim you can avoid being beside cars if you really "commute daily" around houston.

i am in that very intersection at least once everyday. so i like the feeling that my odds are 0.00000000000001% higher of not being side swiped because i was hear cos by bike was 1 decibel louder than the driver's radio.

i'm not saying thats the situation for every commuter but for me in houston, thats what is involvd in my commuting and that is why i want to be heard(added to "being cool")

loud exhaust does not mean open headers. loud exhaust means louder than stock and like you stated above it may have minimal effect but who's to say that minimal effect among other minimal effects like your lights dudring the day would not be the difference between being noticed and being sideswiped?

oh, i dont think its about me. just contributing to an open discussion and it does not change anything but my post count just like your opinion

Last edited by viper3ez; 05-07-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #410
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
blah. why even bother talking about the scientifics...we all know its got nothing to do with the arguement. orange reflective vests save lives too...how many chopper and harley riders (or any riders for that matter) wear them. very very few, i would say less than 1% and those that do are required to wear them by whichever part of the armed services they are in.

here is a hypothetical arguement. you know those back alarms many trucks are required to have? what if the transportation code allowed MC's to have something similar, but with a unique tone and pattern to let motorists know a MC was nearby. now lets say it was incredibly effective at letting people know you are nearby, and dramaticly cut down on MC accidents, injuries, deaths...how many riders would take the option to put it in? ok, some might be on the fence about it...ok, now make the alarm sound high pitched and really gay...now who wants one on their big dog? no one. you would get the same attitude about those as you do from riders who refuse to wear helmets.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #411
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

Why don't you... do you think the 50-60yr old guy is a rookie?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #412
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

Quote:
loud exhaust does not mean open headers. loud exhaust means louder than stock and like you stated above it may have minimal effect but who's to say that minimal effect among other minimal effects like your lights dudring the day would not be the difference between being noticed and being sideswiped?

oh, i dont think its about me. just contributing to an open discussion and it does not change anything but my post count just like your opinion
I realize it, but you're missing my and the real gist at 'Ricks' posts. The 'increase' in sound as a safety measure amounts to a Strawman arguement. It's bunk, BS. Now while your talking about your 'commute' stop for a second and consider I've been doing it for over 2 decades. Want a commute? Try going from Greenspoint to Spring, to I-10/Belt 8, to Cavalcade & Elysian... then reversing that at 5pm.

I wear constrasting colors on my jacket/gear when I can. Up until it died, I'd been using a headlight modulator (screw highbeams, the modulator is much more fun). I upgraded to the horn, if I could find an eay way to mount an air-horn on there I'd do it. Yep, I replaced the stock can with a motogp one...and I love it, shaved some weight, reduced surface area for someone to get a burn and I thnk it sounds better. Have I gotten a sound violation yet? No...It's not 'loud', just a tad louder than stock.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #413
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

i smell bacon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #414
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

lol

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
Old 05-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #415
k5freek

Bike(s):
2010 Raven R1

Quote:

I realize it, but you're missing my and the real gist at 'Ricks' posts. The 'increase' in sound as a safety measure amounts to a Strawman arguement. It's bunk, BS. Now while your talking about your 'commute' stop for a second and consider I've been doing it for over 2 decades. Want a commute? Try going from Greenspoint to Spring, to I-10/Belt 8, to Cavalcade & Elysian... then reversing that at 5pm.

I wear constrasting colors on my jacket/gear when I can. Up until it died, I'd been using a headlight modulator (screw highbeams, the modulator is much more fun). I upgraded to the horn, if I could find an eay way to mount an air-horn on there I'd do it. Yep, I replaced the stock can with a motogp one...and I love it, shaved some weight, reduced surface area for someone to get a burn and I thnk it sounds better. Have I gotten a sound violation yet? No...It's not 'loud', just a tad louder than stock.

If its louder than stock you're screwed. You might as well turn yourself in now.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #416
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5freek View Post
If its louder than stock you're screwed. You might as well turn yourself in now.
gee...why haven't I gotten a ticket yet then? :-)
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #417
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
gee...why haven't I gotten a ticket yet then? :-)
Because you didn't "show your "
Old 05-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #418
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Because you didn't "show your "
...touche :-)
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #419
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
now lets say it was incredibly effective at letting people know you are nearby, and dramaticly cut down on MC accidents, injuries, deaths...how many riders would take the option to put it in?
I didnt want to quote the whole thing, but THIS is exactly the reason why, I re-thought my mirror placement in my van. If I want to increase safety issues that I care about on my bike...then it should ALSO be an issue for me to see other motorcyclists when I am driving CAGED.

just because I am a motorcyclist, doesnt mean that I will always see them even though I know I am much more observant about my surroundings than most regular cagers. I would HATE to hit another rider (especially a friend) and say "I didnt see him" that would be EPIC FACEPALM

so I went out to wally world and got that BIG convexed double wide mirror that clips onto the stock rearview mirror. then adjusted the outside mirrors to have a very slight overlap of view angle to the convex mirror..

now when trolling down the road, not only do I not have ANY blind spots, I also have the visual cues from my "zones" distance wise where vehicles are around me

its less complicated than it sounds, and it only takes a second for a "full sweep/scan" to determine a safe GO/NO GO assesment. Side mirrors are not supposed to be pointed back at the driver, so you can see your elbow on the frame, or how cool you look in those sunglasses

besides, no one can tell you have your safety mirrors adjusted for SAFTEY . It can save a life...and will do so without your even knowing it

Last edited by GAU-8; 05-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #420
Racer X 05

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Racer X you need to just shut your pie hole before someone does it for ya (Me) because your examples are more Stupid than You are(hard to believe) and as for Rick I think you've found a new drinking buddy in the above mentioned idiot! I understand you don't have a bike anymore maybe you should go cry to your wife or mom which ever your currently living with and ask if they'll let you have one now that Racer X is willing to cosign for you or just ride on the back of his!

Advertisement