Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #21
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

from reading both, it sounds like a matter of mis-communication...

the Op says, in short they were thrown out because an actual measurement was not taken of the noise level. The 'blog' entry says "I was permitted to resume enforcing the noise ordinance as it relates to loud exhaust on motorcycles and automobiles. The earlier order to stop enforcement due to perceived subjectivity issues has been overturned."

Sounds like someone claimed harassment or something, different vs the reasoning behind the 'tickets; being thrown out.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holtsclaw Half-Fast General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 10-19-2011 11:50 AM
Holtsclaw? Enough Already NewRider Off Topic 11 11-02-2010 05:28 PM
Psycho girlfriend gsxrjai Off Topic 46 12-09-2009 01:52 PM
Psycho Test Lobo Off Topic 11 02-28-2006 10:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

loud pipes only do so much good, and basically no good on the freeways, at 60-70 mph its so drowned out from wind noise others wont hear you that much better.

at some point you have to determine do the cons outweigh the pros of loud pipes?
fwiw i had a quiet exhaust, then i made it really loud, then i went back to quiet. it may be cool at first, but it got annoying to myself, i can only imagine how it annoys others. on group rides i sometimes find myself making a point to get ahead of a particular person if their exhaust is just annoying the out of me.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
ducoop

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

Mine would get annoying at times and my next bike will be quieter. There are just as many people out there that say loud pipes save lives that give no credit to the rider skills. It is much more important to have the skills then to rely on a noise that is projected behind my bike. At any decent speed the person in the car isn't going to hear you until your right beside or ahead of them. Not going to help your case much that late in the game.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
WWFII

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducoop View Post
Mine would get annoying at times and my next bike will be quieter. There are just as many people out there that say loud pipes save lives that give no credit to the rider skills. It is much more important to have the skills then to rely on a noise that is projected behind my bike. At any decent speed the person in the car isn't going to hear you until your right beside or ahead of them. Not going to help your case much that late in the game.
I am NOT solely relying on sound. Just stating that it is another cue. My stock exhaust is too quiet to be of any use.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
ducoop

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFII View Post
I am NOT solely relying on sound. Just stating that it is another cue. My stock exhaust is too quiet to be of any use.
It wasn't really directed at you but I have seen people rely so much on 1 aspect of riding they forget the others.

Of all the things to be concerned about how loud your pipes are for safety reasons is a BS excuse. Now to be concerned about how loud they are because you like the sound is something different.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #26
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

i would love to see a study showing that people with louder exhausts avoided accidents over those with stock exhausts.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
ducoop

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

That would be a very informative study. I would also like to see it broken down a little more. Use rider experience as a barometer and then compare by the Db your exhaust puts out.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #28
WWFII

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducoop View Post
That would be a very informative study. I would also like to see it broken down a little more. Use rider experience as a barometer and then compare by the Db your exhaust puts out.
I have an idea.

Take a car. Blind-fold a passenger in the vehicle, and provide the passenger with a "fake" steering-wheel. Drive the passenger around town. Tell the passenger that you are wanting to make a turn to the left or right -- to change lanes. Tell them when they think it is safe to turn, to rotate the "fake" steering-wheel. For testing, do a few trial runs with no vehicle beside them. Then, test it while a Harley is next to them. Please report your findings.

I cannot believe that people on this forum think that audible cues do absolutely nothing?!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #29
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFII View Post
I have an idea.

Take a car. Blind-fold a passenger in the vehicle, and provide the passenger with a "fake" steering-wheel. Drive the passenger around town. Tell the passenger that you are wanting to make a turn to the left or right -- to change lanes. Tell them when they think it is safe to turn, to rotate the "fake" steering-wheel. For testing, do a few trial runs with no vehicle beside them. Then, test it while a Harley is next to them. Please report your findings.

I cannot believe that people on this forum think that audible cues do absolutely nothing?!
your idea really sucks, mainly because we don't allow blind people to drive on our roads. we are not saying that the sense of hearing has no impact on driving situations, but your talking about something that projects sound in the opposite direction in which you are heading, i just dont buy the claim that it makes that much of a difference.

and thinking of hearing in general when driving, i think you can get 10x or even more than 10x as much information with your EYES when driving as opposed to with your ears!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #30
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
here's the learning part, don't ride side by side to cars.......... get in ft or stay behind.
if you ride that fancy bike of yours you would know that sometimes you have no choice but to be beside cars considering how many are on the road.

with your millennium of riding experience, its a wonder you dont ever ride beside cars.

is your bike like a flying bike or something?

quit dicking with your picture. like i tried to explain to you before, learning to ride involves actually riding a bike which inadvertently puts you beside cars.

how hard is it for you to comprehend?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #31
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

Old 04-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
loud pipes only do so much good, and basically no good on the freeways, at 60-70 mph its so drowned out from wind noise others wont hear you that much better.

at some point you have to determine do the cons outweigh the pros of loud pipes?
fwiw i had a quiet exhaust, then i made it really loud, then i went back to quiet. it may be cool at first, but it got annoying to myself, i can only imagine how it annoys others. on group rides i sometimes find myself making a point to get ahead of a particular person if their exhaust is just annoying the out of me.
you are correct. the interesting thing with that is nobody ever switches lanes to take me out on the freeway. its when you get on FM 518 in pearland, bumper to bumper traffic at lights every few hundred yards, thats when you want to use any means you can to make sure these drivers realize you are there.

you can stay out of their blindspot but if they dont use their mirrors then everything outside the view of their windshield becomes their blind spot
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
your idea really sucks, mainly because we don't allow blind people to drive on our roads. we are not saying that the sense of hearing has no impact on driving situations, but your talking about something that projects sound in the opposite direction in which you are heading, i just dont buy the claim that it makes that much of a difference.

and thinking of hearing in general when driving, i think you can get 10x or even more than 10x as much information with your EYES when driving as opposed to with your ears!
he never at one point claimed being heard "only" would save your life. you took his argument and implied it as that.

when someone is texting on their cellphone while driving in a heavy traffic road like FM518, seeing you is out the picture. and when someone decides not to consult with their side mirrors before switching lanes, your visual presence is no longer of any use.

at that point, audible presence is a secondary means of establishing your presence.

knowing what to do in an emergency situation is what is actually going to save your life. audible presence just supplements your visual presencee in alerting the driver you are there.

quit taking his statement out of context just to support your argument.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #34
WWFII

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
he never at one point claimed being heard "only" would save your life. you took his argument and implied it as that.

when someone is texting on their cellphone while driving in a heavy traffic road like FM518, seeing you is out the picture. and when someone decides not to consult with their side mirrors before switching lanes, your visual presence is no longer of any use.

at that point, audible presence is a secondary means of establishing your presence.

knowing what to do in an emergency situation is what is actually going to save your life. audible presence just supplements your visual presencee in alerting the driver you are there.

quit taking his statement out of context just to support your argument.

Exactly!

I am WWFII and I approve of this message.

Last edited by WWFII; 04-30-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #35
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

Old 04-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #36
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
Actually he did when he suggested a test blindfolding a fake driver. Unless of course he plans to use his other senses of taste, touch, or smell, in which case i don't think any of those will do much good detecting others in traffic.

I certainly am not saying that it's impossible for noise from your motorcycle to get a drivers attention, we know that is possible, but we all can make noise with our motorcycles, regardless of what exhaust we have, you just use that thing in your right hand. All I am saying is the whole "loud pipes save lives" mantra is mostly a load of . There is almost certainly a point at which the level of noise does more overall harm then good with all things considered. Let's even take the annoyance factor out, how are you supposed to hear other vehicles yourself, if you can't hear a single thing over your excessively loud exhaust?

The law is there for a reason, same as most laws, a crappy excuse isn't going to get you out of the ticket. Just like me saying "but officer I need to drive faster so people won't run into me" isn't going to get me out of a speeding ticket. You choose to not follow the law, you will reap the results, deal with it.

All in all it doesn't much matter to me, if you have an excessive loud exhaust, whether your on a bike or a car or whatever, your going to attract the attention, it just not always gonna be the attention that you want. Same goes for people blaring music out their car windows audible a quarter mile away, enjoy your tickets.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #37
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
I agree, loud pipes is just ONE of many things that help. I have personal experience where I REVD my engine to a car that was swerving into me and they stopped.

If loud pipes dont work, then why do they install horns on the bike?
Let's think purely about how sound travels. Have you ever seen a horn placed on the rear of a motorcycle, maybe facing backwards? Nope. And most motorcycle horns are completely useless at any decent speed, most car horns are useless at freeway speeds.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #38
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
I agree, loud pipes is just ONE of many things that help. I have personal experience where I REVD my engine to a car that was swerving into me and they stopped.

If loud pipes dont work, then why do they install horns on the bike?
How many horns do you know that sound like a running motor?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #39
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Oh here comes another 8 page argument thread from this guy. I just heard a bike ride by my window of my office, and I didnt hit him
Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #40
10mm

Loud Pipes

If that is true, how in the world do people get run over on the train tracks? Loud pipes don't save lives.

I've commuted with stock pipes for years and never once had an issue because I either stay in front or behind, never travel along side of cars and anticipate the stupid that is *going* to happen.

Skills, people....skills are what saves.......
Closed Thread

Advertisement