MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
SwamiMoto
nswamido@yahoo.com

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Gold '03 Ninja 636

I don't get it!

I keep seeing these posts, and keep hearing these stories of how somebody runs into the back of a car or truck. I just don't get it. Is it because they are just new riders that know how to accelerate, but not how to brake? Is it because they don't keep an eye out for the traffic ahead of them? Is it because they aren't paying attention? Is it because they panic and lock their rear brake? I've been blessed that I've never had anybody pull into my lane when I was going 160+, but I have had numerous vehicles pull out in front of me when I'm accelerating up to 120. I swerve around them sometimes... and sometimes I slow up, it all depends on the situation. The only time I've almost ran into the back of somebody, was when I just had 2 months under my belt and I ran up on a slowage on the causeway in Galveston. I locked the rear brake and slid to a stop about 1 inch from the bumper of the car in front of me.

If anybody has any theories please enlighten me.
SwamiMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Welfare recipients are a lot like _________" (don't say raccoon, don't say raccoons, RojerLockless Off Topic 22 08-11-2011 02:12 PM
some people don't see bikes on the road, some don't see anything urbanXJ Off Topic 11 03-17-2010 08:05 AM
just watch the vid , or don't, whatever i don't care . lol ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 11 09-07-2009 09:08 AM
Don't Do Drugs; and for Gawd's Sake, Don't Shoplift! Squoddybody Off Topic 17 03-24-2009 02:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
You carry magic pixie dust with you.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
ratmzapa

Member Garage

hmmm its alot of the mentality and physiological processes of the brain...how in the 10 seconds we have to react we induce a tunnel vision effect and therefore refuse to move and in a sense "freeze" up.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
RRCBR

Feedback Rating: (1)

I think you listed all the possiblities already....
RRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
yankee

Bike(s):
08 HD Nightster

I'm pretty sure it has alot to do with not paying attn, people cutting you off when your going fast, lack of judgement...etc.

when you mentioned that you swerved...lets say you didnt have the opportunity to swerve, would you have hit the car infront of you then?
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
SwamiMoto
nswamido@yahoo.com

Bike(s):
Gold '03 Ninja 636

Probably not. It all depends on the lane I'm in. The amount of traffic. The number of cars in the other lanes. If I'm accelerating in the middle lane, with cars on each of the outer lanes... I'm always aware of them. If I know there won't be an opportunity to swerve, I adjust my speed accordingly.
SwamiMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I use common sense. I always scan the cars at least two vehicles in front of the car I am behind. I try to leave a large enough area 360* around me as possible to have room for a manuver if needed. I never get close to traffic if I can help it. I always stay about the same speed or faster to keep a "pocket of space" around me.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
whosthis
ahhhhh sexii lmao!!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
KTM
R6

just cause ur payin attention and dont meen tha people around u are, dont always asume people know ur there, blind spots! and lets say ur goin 1oomph and even 70phm and tha person n front on ur slams on thier brakes u only have so long to think, its not only bikes that go into tha back of a car cars do it all tha time, u dont react fast enough and happins just hope and pray it never happins to u, wear ur gear maybe it will help,
whosthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

hint reason why i don't ride any more. I'm pretty sure the only way I will ride again is on a track. Caught myself more than once going wow that was stupid. my .02:eh:
Old 06-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Jester

Bike(s):
400EX, 90 Mini, R1

Two words (New Riders), Most of the new riders jump on a street bike with no experience off rode riding. I road dirt bikes and quads for 15 years before even thinking about buying my 1000. The switch felt natural just 120 more horse power! It takes a lot of percise movements to ride a street bike, if you are scared of it (don't ride it!)

JZ
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #11
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

target fixation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
I use common sense. I always scan the cars at least two vehicles in front of the car I am behind. I try to leave a large enough area 360* around me as possible to have room for a manuver if needed. I never get close to traffic if I can help it. I always stay about the same speed or faster to keep a "pocket of space" around me.
common sense is something I feel not every one is born with and unfortunatly some never aquire either. It is vital to staying alive on a motorcycle in any condition I think. Use it if you got it.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
mightymouse1

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

first of all,i'm a noob.no disrespect to my sportbike peeps,but if you're going over 100mph just for the of it(he said 120 and he did 160+ once)you get what you deserve.period. i just like riding my bike at a nice clip between 70-80 on the highway. when i 'm in my car or truck i don't drive above 90(back in the day sometimes i would lol). just because it says 180 don't mean you have to do it and if you do it...just remember it was your own fault.
mightymouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
Tumper
Hullo

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

News flash, locking up the rear brake will not stop you effectivley. That is all.

Advertisement