MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Ask advice from shops that know your particular bike........

It was time for an oil change along with the new clutch cable and clutch cover gasket that I had bought. I bought my filter at Stubbs like I always do and asked for some advice on the oil that they would use. I was told that everyone they know uses Motul 15w-50 semi-synthetic. I changed the gasket, installed the new cable and changed the oil. when I went to adjust the cable, I couldn't get it to work properly. I adjusted it in every way that I could think of. It would either slip or lock up, but nothing in between. I thought that maybe the new cable was at fault since I bought a Motion Pro instead of an OEM. I changed back over to the OEM and still was having the same problem. In frustration, I bought 4 quarts of conventional oil and drained the $40 worth of Motul oil that I had just put in the day before. After some adjusting, the clutch works great again. I don't blame Stubbs at all for recommending the Motul. They obviously only know the newer bikes. I should have just stuck to what I always have used. All that I'm trying to say is that you need to talk to someone that really knows your particular bike. I will continue to buy parts from Stubbs. They are convenient to my work and have always been friendly and honest. If you have an older bike like I do, you'd probably be better with Sunny's or Motorcycles Unlimited when it comes to older bikes though since they work on everything.
bike shops alilodhi12 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-23-2013 02:55 PM
bike shops ZiXxer Six How To's and Q & A's 8 10-01-2012 01:12 PM
Bike shops. Jscalf7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-27-2010 10:15 PM
bike shops? dadon600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-26-2008 04:22 PM
Help with Bike Shops PYROBUG51 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-16-2008 09:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Uhhhhhhh, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Motul oil that was the problem.

FWIW, I ONLY put in Amsoil 20W50 in my 1989 FJ1200....worked like a charm and smoothed out the transmission.
I was told that it could not have been the problem, but as soon as I put conventional oil back in the bike the problem went away. Nothing else changed except replacing the oil. The only thing that I can figure is that, because of the age of the clutch rings, the semi-synthetic oil was TOO slippery or something. I would imagine that on a brand new clutch assembly I would not have had a problem. Either way.... On MY bike, the difference between semi-synthetic and conventional made the difference in whether the clutch slipped or not. Trust me. I worked on that clutch for over an hour after changing to the Motul with no luck. The problem immediately went away when I returned to conventional oil.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

it happens. It cant be predicted. I have seen Amsoil do the same on a Busa
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Had the EXACT issue on the seca II when I went from my traditional oil to ROTELLA. clutch slipped like a damsell in distress. it was the ONLY thing I did to the bike. flushed out the rotella, and put in my typical stuff again. no clutch issues.

whats interesting is that several owners have the same bike as me, and never had the issue with ROTELLA. wierd.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Tim Vipond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
The problem isn't whether an oil is conventional, semi-synthetic or synthetic. The problem is the amount of friction the oil can provide the wet clutch.

Motul 15w50 semi synthetic is only JASO MA rated for wet clutches. You want a higher friction JASO MA2 rated oil. AMSOIL is one of a very few that makes a JASO MA2 motorcycle oil.

Here is a report that discusses this and compares several JASO motorcycle oils: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf?zo=1181889 .

Stubbs on Telephone Road sells a lot of AMSOIL. I think their parts counter staff is much more knowledgeable.
They are the ones that recommended the Motul (parts AND service department). Either way, like I said before, I don't blame them at all. They know new bikes. Mine is definitely NOT new. It was a learning experience for me. I've owned and ridden bikes on and off for almost 29 years, but the bikes I've always had before were before the industry-wide use of synthetics. Out of 15 street bikes, this is my first "super sport".

Also..... That was some great info on JASO ratings! I've read many articles on synthetic vs. conventional and have found that everyone has their opinions. You can almost NEVER find a majority consensus on types of oil. That makes it confusing for someone like me that has always ridden standard bikes and cruisers with conventional oil.

thanks for the article!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Last edited by Tim Vipond; 04-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

How much do you pay for a gallon of AMSOIL full syn??
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Advertisement