MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

DOT5?

Ok question
when I did my swingarm I changes the brake line too.

Lost most of the glued so I nought some! DOT5 question is this with the DOT5 mess up the seals or o-rings in the rear brake system?????????

I drained all the old DOT4 and blead the breaks for along time just to make sure All of it was out and clean DOT5 was comeing out!

But changeing from glycal based to a sylicone based fluidwith that herr the brakes????????
dot5 fluid in a dot 4 system? infidel Performance and Modifications 24 01-26-2007 06:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
H2447INTX

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

Ok o asked a mech at work and ha said no it will not hert the brakes but he did mention the gumming if mixed and the moisture issue so I'm good
if need be I ca bleed them a few more times
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The stuff I have seen says NO DOT 5
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
H2447INTX

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

yea from what i read the only real problems are that it will not mix with water so ove time what get in the system will sink to low point witch is the brake caliper and couse issues , like carotion and if to much water colects then it will boil and basicly have no brakes ,

the other is mixing with the dot 4 will make it gummy and couse weak brakes as well,

dot5 is more for race wher it will be changed more often than not ex but as long as it will not swell up the seals in the brakes im cool with it , i can change it more reg and bleed a few more time to make sure i get all the dot4 out!

i used the Bell Ray dot 5

any how if i have problems ill post and change it back but as for now ill test it out !

Advertisement