MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #121
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I posted a link to it, on a LEO forum... i think it's going to prove to be interesting.

So far the posts have been more... reactionary and focusing on the riders behaviour than the actual issue. :-)

One comment I found amusing... "I didn't see where he pointed the gun at him"
My reply was a question.. "Do you, as a LEO react differently when someone pulls a gun but doesn't point it at you, versus they pull it and aim at you?"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal on HELMET Cam. Eddy.T General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-28-2011 10:23 AM
cool helmet cam RACER X Off Topic 2 02-12-2009 04:47 PM
Helmet Cam specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-13-2008 09:56 PM
how to:make your own helmet cam. Charliebrown How To's and Q & A's 10 09-24-2007 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #122
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I posted a link to it, on a LEO forum... i think it's going to prove to be interesting.

So far the posts have been more... reactionary and focusing on the riders behaviour than the actual issue. :-)

One comment I found amusing... "I didn't see where he pointed the gun at him"
My reply was a question.. "Do you, as a LEO react differently when someone pulls a gun but doesn't point it at you, versus they pull it and aim at you?"
LOL. I bet there is no response to that. Guy realizes what a dumbass post he made.

Question for LEOs: When off duty and pulling someone over for a similar situation as in the video, would you ever draw your weapon? And if you draw it, are there times when you can get in trouble for drawing your weapon? I ask because it sure looks like the off duty cop had that "oh " moment when he realized the uniformed officer was behind the bike.

laguna sig

Last edited by houtex; 04-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #123
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

"supposedly" going by the warrant, the OD officer was in radio contact with the marked police car, and finding a way to detain the rider..(he could be saying this AFTER the fact he now knows there is video)

Whether this is the case or not, there is clearly a difference in the OD officers tone of voice, and actions, AFTER he looks up, and notices the marked car has now pulled up.

the difference between "GET OFF THE BIKE, GET OFF THE BIKE", and several seconds later, a much calmer tone when speaking to the rider, is quite apparent.

what would be interesting is if......IF........the marked car wasnt originally going after the biker..but the CAR speeding (to catch the biker).....only to pull up and realize, its an OD officer. not likely but funny if it transpired that way.

what I would like to see is the complete stop. until either the camera is shut off, or the stop is over.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #124
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

okay...just watched the 3 minute portion...here's some cliff's notes

0:34 - wheelie passed cop
0:47 - rider sees cop in median ahead, checks speed
1:06 - rider passes cop in median
1:12 - rider thinks the guy in the beat up car is gonna get ticket.
3:00 - nice. no cop, no ticket!
3:13 - who the is this ?
3:16 - holy , is that a gun?
3:21 - ah, he said he's state police...that explains it.
3:28 - my hands are hot. i'm taking these off.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #125
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Somehow I'm thinking in TX and most other southern states, the plain clothes cop would have gotten himself shot, or gotten dragged along the road by the biker....

That was WAY the out of line.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #126
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #127
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

I would be surprised if the uniformed cop didnt shoot the off duty cop.Getting out of his car with a weapon drawn
mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #128
ducoop

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

Yes it is legal.
ducoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #129
mjrauma
ZZRrrrrrrgh!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZZR 1200

There are a few states in the Northeast that do not allow audio taping. Video is fine but no audio, so...if he woulda' posted the vid without sound, there would have been no actionable offense. He could have written what he wanted to describe the incident with no problem. And yes, the cops are exempt from the audio restriction. Cops are gettin' scared of gettin' caught, but there are camera's everywhere these days.
mjrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #130
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrauma View Post
Cops are gettin' scared of gettin' caught, but there are camera's everywhere these days.

BINGO!

one must assume with todays technology, that you are on camera. It may not be directed at you, but somewhere your actions are more than likely being caught. (at least in big city)

-cellphones/pda
-gopro type micro cameras
-street cameras
-in store cameras
-parking lot cameras
-people out recording for whatever reasons
-tourists/tourist attractions.
-govt/police operations
-satellite <-----highly unlikely but then again, look at google maps/earth, and see what you find!

-photoagraphy artists, that take 100 megapixel shots, and sew them together for huge panoramic shots (forgot the MH member) you can find ALL SORTS of activity in those shots.

-live feed internet camera for science/tech/research

Last edited by GAU-8; 04-20-2010 at 04:55 PM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #131
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I had one reply 'how do you think people would feel if you started filming them at work'... reply "I spent 3 months with a webcam looknig at my back/over my shoulder as someone else had a project involving a webcam at work. Didn't like it, but it was part of the job. If your 'work' is out in the public, seems to me that its part of the job." I'll see if I can copy/paste some of them in a day or so. :-)
Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #132
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

oh this one was nice

Quote:
And YMMV (greatly) - I can point a gun at you as much as I want and it wouldn't be a use of force by my guidelines/definition.

And since, despite your efforts to front impartiality, you are clearly in bed with the rider... ::CLICK::
Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #133
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

(cops) just like Jorge Lopez said. *FTP* FK THAT PUTO!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #134
TxBullitt78
Stunt Ride Live Die!!!

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 Repsol badly abused but dearly loved
06 CBR 1000RR
Fiddy

I'm baffled here and again this shows how today's judicial system can create conflict in a situation where they can be held accountable. I know for sure seeing that from a riders standpoint it looks like someone is straight up trying to jack you. Fear??? I mean who exactly should be scared here? While all the evidence is not available looking at the video (whether or not the guy was acting a fool on the freeway) he was approached incorrectly and the cop should have been the one at fault with his actions. Posting the video on the net to flaunt their stupidity only aggravated the situation and so the case began. Cops, Lawmakers, politicians etc., etc. do not like to be caught in the wrong. I ride fast but when I'm in a safe spot you guys who talk trash about abusive riding kill me. You own a sportbike cause you like riding the speed limit? WTF??? Oh its for track days only? Please, save the bs for your wife or mother who you justify your owning a motorcycle to. The guy will have a slew of lawyers to make sure they point out the legalities involved even if it is both parties. I am a firm believer in a corrupt system as I've dealt with it first hand. Best of luck to the cat.
TxBullitt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #135
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
The wiretapping 'law' is a federal law, not a state/local law... and it's under this which most people are being charged with.

In short, they are attempting to claim that a leo, in operation of their duty is 'private' and not 'public'. Be it a raid, traffic stop etc.. that it is a 'private' matter and not public and by recording it, the person doing the recording is illegally recording it.

He posted is on you-tube, not 'all over the internet'...bit of a difference there.
Uric, the federal wiretappin satute does not enter into this, the federal wiretapping law states that it must be " a third party recording or listening on a federally regulated carrier. It also applies if the building or occupancy is not yours. so no it does NOT apply. Also a state may not prosucute a federal statute and the feds aren't going to get involved as the wiretapping law doesn't apply.

I don't know what the law in Md is other than its a northern liberal feel good state and there fore all its inhabitants are screwed like achmed the dead terrorist.

In Texas you can be recorded by any means if the conversation is between yourself and another as long as one of the individuals being recorded has knowledge of the recording unless you are in a place of business or interstate commerce in witch case you can be recorded at any time including your phone conversations, and visually recorded during your occupation of the place.

Basically this means you can have a recording device in your house and record your wife and your neighbor on your bed, neither one can do about it, you can record visual and audio of any conversation between you and anyone and they can't do about it, your employer can record your phone conversations, visually record you in every place except the bathroom and you can't do about it, your employer can also monitor your computer usage on their computers even if its not at the office(laptop computers at home or away) what you cannot do is record your neighbor telling his bud about how good a lay your wife is when he is on his phone, you cannot record a conversation that is between other people in public, but you can record a visual record of them. The federal wire tapping law doesn't apply to any of these things state laws take precedence over the federal law.

My personal belief is that the cop screwed up and they are trying to cover it up, they just got a black eye over the beating thing so they are making it up as they go to try and save face. The guy being a dipshit really doesn't enter into the part we saw, the cop being agressive toward the guy on the bike and pulling his weapon is an embaressment and the Md State Police are tryin to keep it quiet

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #136
ZoomByU
The whistles go Wooo

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
Pink red ryder tricycle

He was a plain clothes officer, not off duty just to clarify.
"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
ZoomByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #137
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Uric, the federal wiretappin satute does not enter into this, the federal wiretapping law states that it must be " a third party recording or listening on a federally regulated carrier. It also applies if the building or occupancy is not yours. so no it does NOT apply. Also a state may not prosucute a federal statute and the feds aren't going to get involved as the wiretapping law doesn't apply.
Somewhat incorrect... the problem is, that photographers & videographers are being threatened & charged of being in violation of the 'wiretaping' laws, not federal but state level, when filming police. Google it and you'll get a better idea of what Im talking about/referring to...

http://www.informationliberation.com/index.php?id=22471

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284075,00.html (fox news article on it)
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #138
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote