MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #61
HtownStunta

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1986 Honda Spree

Member Garage

http://www.youtube.com/user/nikotyc#p/a/u/1/BHjjF55M8JQ
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal on HELMET Cam. Eddy.T General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-28-2011 10:23 AM
cool helmet cam RACER X Off Topic 2 02-12-2009 04:47 PM
Helmet Cam specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-13-2008 09:56 PM
how to:make your own helmet cam. Charliebrown How To's and Q & A's 10 09-24-2007 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #62
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

wow
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #63
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

and yeah, that plain clothes cop definitely has a guilty look snd hides his pistol with a quickness when he sees the marked unit.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #64
Fredo
alFREDO ...like the sauce

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03' 600RR
03' 636 (SOLD)

That is some crazy chit, I think I woulda myself if that happened
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #65
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_911 View Post
lol I love how people get so heated in issues that deal with the police so let me play devil's advocate here

Ok first its Maryland people their laws are different than ours, so trying to compare what happened on the video to what would happen here is kinda difficult.

Second like most amateur video its been edited, shortened per say. The rider (shown on the video) was speeding, riding reckless. We only see the perspective of the rider as he is being pulled over. We don't see him look over and see the unmarked car try and "flag him down" (Unless the officer equipped his car with strobes) We don't know how long he was being followed before stopping. There is a marked patrol car in part of the video so what if it was there at the beginning of the incident and this rider wasn't pulling over? There is a lot of unknowns to deal with before passing judgment.

What if the situation is this, there is a biker riding reckless, isn't stopping for police and finally pulls over with a marked patrol car behind, and an unmarked (or possibly off duty trooper) pulls in front. The officer see the bike backing up, fearing that the rider is about to bail again, draws down on him. A motorcycle can be a weapon if it is used to run someone over, so he was within his right to draw his weapon.

Last he got arrested for illegal audio recording cause he posted it all on the internet.

Now from a cops point of view, SPECIALLY in Texas, you make sure that bright shiny badge is visible before branding a firearm. Thats week one of the academy stuff.
The wiretapping 'law' is a federal law, not a state/local law... and it's under this which most people are being charged with.

Quote:
In fact, Maryland requires there to be an expectation of privacy in order to make that charge valid, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

State courts interpreted laws to protect communications only when parties have a reasonable expectation of privacy
In short, they are attempting to claim that a leo, in operation of their duty is 'private' and not 'public'. Be it a raid, traffic stop etc.. that it is a 'private' matter and not public and by recording it, the person doing the recording is illegally recording it.

He posted is on you-tube, not 'all over the internet'...bit of a difference there.

Last edited by Ulric; 04-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #66
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I think y'all should check the DPS traffic law site.

a wheelie will typically draw a class B misdemeanor reckless driving charge.

there is NO threshold of speed for constitution of reckless driving. 25 over does not automatically make for a reckless driving charge. reckless driving is a judgment made by the arresting officer or prosecutor's office. you can actually be going UNDER the speed limit and get a reckless charge.
I'm not disputing what you have said but, if you could post a link for that it would be helpful.
I spoke with a Brazoria County Sheriff when I first heard about the change and he confirmed it and said, " It is a jailable offense. If I saw you doing a wheelie I would take you to jail".
I said, "Even if I was on some empty back road and you saw me do a little wheelie just for fun"?
He responded, "The law doesn't make distinctions about the size of the wheelie, you would go to jail".

I realize he could have been mistaken or was just saying that to discourage me (someone he doesn't know) from being irresponsible but he did confirm that it was a felony and a jailable offense.
I will try to research this later but if you can provide more info on your claim it would help.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #67
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

He was speeding. Everything he has coming he deserves. Isn't that the general consensus around these parts? You speed you deserve a ticket, be charged with a felony or even die?
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #68
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

25 over can be construed as reckless as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I think y'all should check the DPS traffic law site.

a wheelie will typically draw a class B misdemeanor (but it can also be ramped up to a felony) it reckless driving charge.

there is NO threshold of speed for constitution of reckless driving. 25 over does not automatically make for a reckless driving charge. reckless driving is a judgment made by the arresting officer or prosecutor's office. you can actually be going UNDER the speed limit and get a reckless charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
It's ok. Racer X doesn't like factual information or providing sources for the things he says is fact. So...no surprise there.
um yeah, rojer basically says what i said, and even concluded that you can be given a wreckless charge for less then 25 over, and still be taken to jail.

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 04-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #69
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
He was speeding. Everything he has coming he deserves. Isn't that the general consensus around these parts? You speed you deserve a ticket, be charged with a felony or even die?
Why you let the voices of like 2 people effect how you view the ENTIRE site cracks me up....
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #70
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

wait, is it affect or effect??? brain fart...lol
Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #71
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Sounds like he took a bad situation and made it worse by trying to clown the cops...the cops found a way to use what he was doing against him and here we are. I agree the cop was out of line not identifying himself immediately and even pulling the gun. I also think the guy should have paid a little more attention to state law before trying to punk the cops!

I'm just glad that we don't have these same laws so we don't have to worry about these same charges...sadly we can't say that the same thing won't happen b/c we all know that this can happen anywhere!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #72
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Experience: 1-3 months

Cop chasing moto dude.. blasting metallica in his car....
Cop rolls out of the car "Its go time!"...oh , he took 3 steps backwards.. draw on that !... get off the motorcycle... get off the motorcycle...get off the motorcycle... oh fck.. forgot to ID myself... State Police.... <marked car probably rolls up>

LOL you can see the street clothes trooper's eyes when he sees the marked cop car... "oh ..ok.. ok..be cool.. be cool... turn to shield my unholstered pistol... walk in front of bike to shield my holstering of my unholstered pistol... OK...perp has shielded me from uniformed cop.. now put my hand on my pistol like i'm just being "prepared"....YES! got away with it... I'm superbad!

hahahaha

laguna sig
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #73
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Joe is a mind reader!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #74
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Here's the reckless driving statute. Every wheelie arrest I've ever heard of has brought this charge.

rd

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...ighlightType=1

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #75
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

I HAD TO WATCH IT ONE MORE TIME for a good laugh to end my work day....

the non-blurred version is SO MUCH BETTER...look @ the cop when he realizes the marked trooper is there too....he's like OH !

just noticed homeboy linked the "good" video....my bad.

If you read the "report" he mentions the motorcyclist revving his engine...I didn't hear any engine reving @ the time of the stop.

Last edited by dbuck; 04-19-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #76
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

There is no provision in the Transportation Code for reckless endangerment. Though, I guess if that's a felony charge that it would be in a different code.

You'll have to show ME that one, lol. - just ONE instance of someone being charged with a felony/reckless endangerment for pulling a wheelie.

I know PLENTY of people who have gotten the Class B misdemeanor reckless driving charge for a wheelie - but have never heard of ANYONE getting a felony charge.

Only way I can see a felony is if there were mitigating circumstances - causing injury/racing/drunk/third strike etc.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #77
thewrx

Member Garage

What about the guy who made the video last year of the dps officer remix. Felony?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #78
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Why you let the voices of like 2 people effect how you view the ENTIRE site cracks me up....
Dude..it is against the law (a felony) to record, audibly, a police officer without their consent or knowledge or whatever. Its a felony. He should suck it up and take it on the chin. .. I can't ever win. I dont understand...so WHEN does someone deserve what they've got coming? I'm really confused.

Do they deserve it when it IS a law? Do they deserve it when it isnt a law but should be a law? Do they always deserve it? Wait...do they never deserve it?

Last edited by cdill35; 04-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #79
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Dude..it is against the law (a felony) to record, audibly, a police officer without their consent or knowledge or whatever. Its a felony. He should suck it up and take it on the chin. .. I can't ever win. I dont understand...so WHEN does someone deserve what they've got coming? I'm really confused.

Do they deserve it when it IS a law? Do they deserve it when it isnt a law but should be a law? Do they always deserve it? Wait...do they never deserve it?
whatever....dude probably searched "all over the net" every single day between day #1 and when it was posted b/c he later realized his actions were caught on film....THAT is when he became concerned about being recorded. So, you wheelie on the street....you haul on the backroads...when stopped, you expect to have a gun drawn on you? The camera recording is the least of his concern....I'm sure a gun being drawn for a traffic stop in an unmarked car carries more concern than...OMG, I need to turn off my camera.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #80
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I've had a gun drawn on me on two different speeding stops. One I was let go with a warning, other I was arrested for reckless driving. In neither case was the gun-draw warranted.