MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #181
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal on HELMET Cam. Eddy.T General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-28-2011 10:23 AM
cool helmet cam RACER X Off Topic 2 02-12-2009 04:47 PM
Helmet Cam specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-13-2008 09:56 PM
how to:make your own helmet cam. Charliebrown How To's and Q & A's 10 09-24-2007 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #182
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Oh man, you really are a , you know that? I'd really love to meet you though, I'll have to check out the meets and show up so we can talk.
Yes, I know... check my history and you'd note that I've stated as much myself. <shrug> We've all got our character flaws, that's one of several of myne. I thought about putting, bitchy dirty old man...but it didn't sound as 'fun'.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #183
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

latest update on anthony graber...

Quote:
The Maryland judge scheduled to preside over the Anthony Graber trial next month doesn’t appear to see the logic behind the charges.

And he may end up deciding that it is not even worthy of going to trial.
However, he also acknowledged that “we are on unplowed ground” regarding cases of people arrested on wiretapping charges for videotaping police. And it just may take a trial to plow those grounds.

Circuit Judge Emory A. Plitt Jr. expressed skepticism on the case during a hearing Friday, citing a 2,000-year-old Roman quote, “who will watch the watchers,” as he questioned prosecutors on the merits of the case, which is set to go to trial on October 12.

He said he would soon issue a written ruling on whether the case will proceed to trial.

From the Baltimore Sun:

The question before Plitt is whether a conversation between a police officer and a person he stops on the side of the road is private. Maryland’s attorney general issued an opinion in July advising police agencies that people have a right to record officers and that most interactions between the police and the public can not be considered private.

Treem argued that the indictment violates Graber’s constitutional right to free speech, and he said it’s perfectly legal to capture audio recordings in places where people have no expectation of privacy. He said Uhler made a traffic stop “in a public place on a public highway. The police officer was doing his public job.”

Assistant State’s Attorney David W. Ryden countered that “just because you are in a public place doesn’t mean your speech is public.” He noted that police officers should be able to talk to witnesses, even on a public street, without fear that the conversation will be recorded by a bystander.

Ryden said he should be able to have a “whispered chat” with his co-counsel on a park bench outside the courtroom without fear, but Plitt quickly told him the analogy wasn’t credible because the issue with Graber involves an officer conducting official business.

The judge noted that the trooper could use any part of the conversation with Graber in court, hardly making the discussion private. “The only difference here is the camera,” Plitt said. When the prosecutor said police may be concerned, Plitt shot back, “What difference does it make what the police think?”
I REALLY like the last paragraph. :-)
Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #184
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

It's good to know that the Judge can see past all the BS.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #185
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

Kind of restores my faith in the judicial system
Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #186
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

There a few judges that still believe in our rights, unlike some MH members.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #187
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Sounds like he pulled the right judge.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #188
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #189
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

dif article.. same topic

Quote:
Citing a 2,000-year-old Roman quote, "Who will watch the watchers?" a Harford County judge on Friday skeptically questioned prosecutors pressing criminal charges against a motorcyclist for recording his traffic stop and posting the video on the Internet.

Circuit Court Judge Emory A. Plitt Jr. said he would issue a written ruling shortly as to whether the case against Anthony Graber can proceed to trial Oct. 12, but he acknowledged that appeals courts have not ruled on the issue and that "we are on unplowed ground."

The judge referenced the videotaped beating of motorist Rodney King in Los Angeles, the proliferation of surveillance cameras and the ease with which virtually every citizen can quickly snap pictures and record events and self publish with a click of a button.

Harford County State's Attorney Joseph I. Cassilly has already gone on a radio station to debate the merits of the case with an attorney from the American Civil Liberties Union, which brought a team of high-powered lawyers to court on Friday. Among them was Joshua R. Treem, a former federal prosecutor who represented one of the D.C. snipers and currently represents a Baltimore City councilwoman under indictment.

The conflict arises from a March 5 stop by a plainclothes Maryland State Trooper who pulled Graber over after watching him speed through traffic topping 100 mph and pass several cars on one wheel with his motorcycle. Graber had been wearing a camera attached to his helmet to record his ride.

Trooper J.D. Uhler jumped out of his unmarked car with his gun in his hand, but did not point it at Graber, as he ordered him to dismount the motorcycle, and he issued several citations.

Five days later, after seeing the encounter — both video and audio — posted on YouTube, state police obtained a search warrant and raided Graber's house. They seized his cameras and computers and prosecutors later obtained a grand jury indictment charging the 24-year-old Maryland Air National Guard staff sergeant with violating the state's wiretapping laws. Graber faces up to 16 years in prison and the loss of his engineering job if convicted of a felony.

Maryland law says that a person may not "willfully intercept … oral communications" without consent. It defines "oral communications" as "any conversation or words spoken to or by [a] person in private conversation."

The question before Plitt is whether a conversation between a police officer and a person he stops on the side of the road is private. Maryland's attorney general issued an opinion in July advising police agencies that people have a right to record officers and that most interactions between the police and the public could not be considered private.

Treem argued Friday that the indictment violates Graber's constitutional rights to free speech, and he said it's perfectly legal to capture audio recordings in places where people have no expectation of privacy. He said Uhler made a traffic stop "in a public place on a public highway. The police officer was doing his public job."

Assistant Harford State's Attorney David W. Ryden countered that "just because you are in a public place doesn't mean your speech is public." He noted that police officers should be able to talk to witnesses, even on a public street, without fear that the conversation will be recorded by a bystander.

Ryden said he should be able to have a "whispered chat" with his co-counsel on a park bench outside the courtroom without fear, but Plitt quickly told him the analogy wasn't credible because the issue with Graber involves an officer conducting official business.

The judge noted that the trooper could use any part of the conversation with Graber in court, hardly making the discussion private. "The only difference here is the camera," Plitt said. When the prosecutor said police may be concerned, Plitt shot back, "What difference does it make what the police think?"

Another assistant state's attorney, Scott H. Lewis, argued that many police officers in Maryland have cameras mounted in their dash boards and that the law requires them to notify drivers that they are being recorded on traffic stops.

That provision is there, Lewis said, because the law recognizes the back and forth between officer and driver "as a private conversation." The same rules, he said, should apply to citizens who want to record police.

But Treem said the law only requires officers to inform the motorist of the camera and that the recording can continue even without the driver's consent. The judge agreed, noting the police now "have it two ways"— requiring consent to tape officers but not requiring consent for officers to tape citizens.

Plitt also agreed with Treem who said prosecutors' use of the word "devices" to describe the cameras they seized was insufficient to distinguish between "a bug," which he said the wiretapping law was designed to address, and a cell phone camera that has multiple uses and is not specifically designed for "surreptitious recording."

After Treem complained about the vague references to technology in the indictment and search warrant — prosecutors used the word "devices" — Plitt interrupted, "You mean like not recognizing YouTube at all?" At another point, the judge reached into his own pocket, pulled out his cell phone and held it up to demonstrate how easy it is to be a videographer. "Thirty seconds, audio and video," the judge said.

He then recited the quote, which he said he found in a 1972 Maryland Court of Appeals case on whether the state could order people sent to psychiatric wards.
^ The last few paragraphs are goood. :-)

Last edited by Ulric; 09-07-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #190
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Kinda makes me sad since my hometown is in harford county.

But then it makes me happy to know there is at least one judge that knows the MSP case is BS.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #191
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

So, what's the difference between a police car video taping a citizen when they get pulled over, without the consent of the citizen, and this? Afterall, they were on a public road. I think the police dept. got a black eye due to the fact this over zealous copper went a little overboard.
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #192
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

The technology of instant communication combined with the ability to easily record and transmit video is a Pandora's box. The genie is out of the bottle and how we allow it to be handled will make a big difference in our future lives.
We all know, there are cameras everywhere. Already we have learned that we have to watch what we do in public because it could be recorded.
Should we allow the authorities the ability to record us, without permission?
Most of the time the answer is no.
Should we be allowed to record the authorities without permission?
Most of the time the answer should be yes. Since they are there for the purpose of "protecting" us, we should be able to record their behavior while they are operating in an official function.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #193
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

That jusdge is my new hero.

The Rodney King beating is EXACTLY why police departments dont want people video taping them any more.

Kinda up that they spend so much effort to protect any potential illegal or incriminating activity they might commit.
tejano? Rape me

Last edited by eltejano; 09-07-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #194
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
That jusdge is my new hero.

The Rodney King beating is EXACTLY why police departments dont want people video taping them any more.

Kinda up that they spend so much effort to protect any potential illegal or incriminating activity they might commit.
nailed it!!!!!. Why cant u tape leos? I had no idea it was against the law to tape cops? That is really blowing my mind, if thats not one sided, i dont know wtf is.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #195
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
nailed it!!!!!. Why cant u tape leos? I had no idea it was against the law to tape cops? That is really blowing my mind, if thats not one sided, i dont know wtf is.
Arent they the ones that always say whats the big deal if you have nothing to hide?
tejano? Rape me
Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #196
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
It would probably be a good idea for you to start at the beginning and research this one a bit.