MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
gbalias
Too Slow :/

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
XB12S
YZ450F my dirtbikes got slicks

StateLine 2010 SM Race review....

well......at least its MY review of one of the roughest weekends ive ever had...haha.

834511400 wSzmN L

....heres the story...

I get out there, set up and get ready for the practice. Which is basically a track walk with the bike. Practice was muddy, but by the mains, it was desert powder. Anyways, I only get about 2 laps in before I start to hear a rattling noise coming from the clutch area. Since the bike felt good, I thought it was vibration from something loose. Well another lap and it got worse. I had to pull off and head back to the truck. I rolled the bike back and tried to slowly kick it over, NOTHING. It wouldnt budge. I thought it had overheated and seized once I killed it. I sat there for about 10 minutes contemplating whether or not to just pack up and go home. Well, I decided I's at LEAST open up the cover to see anything. The coolant and oil were good. I open it up and find 2 big chunks of aluminum. One of the fingers of the clutch basket had shattered and was tumbling around in the case and got wedged once i shut it down.....i got lucky. GREAT! At least I could fish em out and continue. Had to tear it down twice cause another section had dislodged itself after I slowly turned it over again. Total of 3 big sections. You can see them on the ground next to the clutch plates and pressure plate.

834511474 rU5Td L

834511534 4gS6W L

834511583 eTapV L

I threw it back together and decided id run it like that (with the missing pieces of the clutch) and hope it holds together. (I run a standard clutch, all the slipper is in my finger so it takes its toll :( ... grassroots baby!!!!!! hahaha )

For the 1st moto, I get a good jump and end up slamming a hay bail. At first I thought i got bumped from behind ( i knoew the guy was REAL close to me), but after i watched the video a few times, I think the bike got loose over the potholes. I couldnt do anything by then. that was the only lap I took that line !!...Then the guy right behind me crashed too and we were tangled. This caused all kinds of problems.......The front rotor hat was bent....I didnt find this out till afterwards but it would explain the following events...After the crash, going into the next turn i have NO brakes up front....you can see i try whatever i can, to slow down in time but theres no way. I started to pump the brake as fast as i could hoping it would do SOMETHING. You can see the front lock up a couple times but I couldnt feel it because I had already gotten to the dirt. So boom!! Another crash. THEN, Im trying to put it in neutral but for some reason I cant rock the bike back and forth. It takes me forever to realize a track official was holding my subframe and I had no idea. I guess he was trying to help me balance or something, but it only cost me time. To make things worse, the right side handguard had bent, so every time i squeezed the brake, it would get stuck on the guard, and i had to use my hand to disengage it. ................ Had to use channel locks and a pry bar on the rotor, a couple new screws here and there and keep goin. a true privateer. haha.

834511344 7h3ZM L

anyways, theres some good chases in the vids, but i would skip the middle 3-4 minutes of the 1st moto....hahaha. disaster. and the data from the helmet view was corrupted. probably from the impact. i got my bell rung.

this is the 1st moto. the crash is on the 1st lap....but then you can fast forward to the middle of the vid or so...maybe even more. haha.

The main was fun, but again, i made a bunch of mistakes. i kinda started to just cruise after my mistakes and thought id finish where i was, but when the CRF went down in front of me on the last lap going into the dirt, i knew i had it. I was the only one who was doubling the back rhythm section in my class, and its where i made up most the time. i think everyone else in front had more roadrace background. haha. lucky for me, i have NO background. the only competitive racing ive done is SM.

VIEW FROM HELMET-
Part1

Part2

VIEW FROM FRONT DOWNTUBE

Part1

So i finished 8th overall. i think if i had cleaned it up, and not had made 3684524087334 mistakes...... i coulda been top 5.

834511268 rMRyk L

834511640 zUjrw L

834511745 5RMvT L
gbalias is offline   Reply With Quote