MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Post Edwards and Spies eye top six in 2010 opener SPOILER

Edwards and Spies eye top six in 2010 opener
Quote:
Monster Yamaha Tech 3 duo Colin Edwards and Ben Spies are confident they can mount a dual challenge for the top six in the opening MotoGP race of 2010 in Qatar on Sunday.

Colin Edwards will begin his eighth MotoGP campaign from the third row of the grid after a closely fought opening qualifying session of the season at the Losail International Circuit on Saturday evening.

In warm but windy conditions under the spectacular floodlights, Edwards declared himself delighted with set-up tweaks on his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 YZR-M1 machine that drastically improved turning performance.

The changes boosted Edwards' confidence that he can emulate his fourth position in the 2009 Qatar MotoGP race having lapped at a consistent pace on Bridgestone's hard rear race tyre.

Edwards also impressed on soft tyres and surged into the top three in the final 20 minutes. But in a typically frantic final few minutes, Edwards dropped down to eighth despite setting his best time on his last lap. The 36-year-old though was only 0.174s from Randy de Puniet in fourth place.

Fellow American Spies will make his eagerly anticipated Monster Yamaha Tech 3 debut from 11th on the grid after the reigning world Superbike champion finished with a best time of 1’56.271. That was less than 0.5s away from fourth and the Texan is confident he can fight for a top six finish having set his best time of the session on hard compound tyres.

Colin Edwards, 8th, 1’56.005

“I made the bike a hundred times better than yesterday. I was really worried after last night that I was going to struggle but I pretty much went back to last year's set-up and I'm happy with it. The bike just turned a lot better tonight and I had a lot more feeling from the front tyre on the brakes. Yesterday I was so lost it felt like I was riding somebody else's bike. I'm confident for the race because I did some good laps on the hard tyre. I'm a bit more consistent than those in front of me on race tyres, so I don't think I'm out of the hunt for fourth place tomorrow at all. At the end of the day I was really close to being fourth on the grid. I had a couple of little issues on the soft tyre but Bridgestone have still done a great job and I'm looking forward to the race because of the consistency I've got on the hard race tyres. As always I'll be giving it my all for the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team."

Ben Spies, 11th, 1’56.271

“It wasn't a good session really and I never got to use the advantage of the soft tyre. I didn't get it done and I never really put in a clean lap. But I am happy with the lap time we put in on race tyres. The positive is I did my fastest time on race tyres that had a lot of laps on them. The top four guys are obviously a little bit quicker on hard tyres. But the majority of the people that were quicker than me were on soft tyres, so we've just got to try to get a good start. I think the race pace I've got is still good, but I'm going to have a hard time passing people down this long straight. I'm right behind Colin on the grid and hopefully jump in behind him and go.”
Press release courtesy of Monster Yamaha Tech3
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Edwards SPOILER Grinchy Taking it to the Track 19 05-07-2012 06:43 AM
Spies and Edwards /motogp.com gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-20-2010 10:27 PM
Edwards and Spies to ride for Tech 3 in 2010 SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 47 10-02-2009 12:27 AM
Street Racing Eye opener CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-04-2008 02:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
HawkinsYZF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 R1

I cant wait for this up coming season. The All American duo on Yamahas... couldnt ask for anything more.
HawkinsYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

Spies will carrier Edwards this year
albertinhouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Go Team Texas!
CCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertinhouston View Post
Spies will carrier Edwards this year
Edwards has been doing pretty good lately. I wouldn't count him out just yet. I'm sure there will be some good battles on the track between both of them. Something tells me that Edwards will not bow out and block like he did for Rossi.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

Once he get a bit more comfy on the bike, it's all over.
albertinhouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

i just watched the recorded race for quatra, it was nice to see them battleing it out again,

spies did great considering it is GP and rossy does what he always does , plays the first few laps and then puts it on em in the end !

dont see how he pulls so far ahead the last 3 laps !

great race and will be a great season !
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

They are kicking for being on a Privateer Team
I’m really happy for you and I’m going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
They are kicking for being on a Privateer Team
+1 Spies looked real good for his first motogp too.

The real test will come at the tracks he's never been to.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The real test will come at the tracks he's never been to.
Race 2, Japan!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
i just watched the recorded race for quatra, it was nice to see them battleing it out again,

spies did great considering it is GP and rossy does what he always does , plays the first few laps and then puts it on em in the end !

dont see how he pulls so far ahead the last 3 laps !

great race and will be a great season !
Rossi usually gets faster as the bike lightens up, aka less fuel in the tank. He has made a few comments before about how he doesn't care for the bike's feel when the tank is topped off.

Advertisement