MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

ok.. I'll give you the run down

I have a 06 SV650 S

the ZX-14 rear shock was an easy install, helped alot
ive got a shorty can (thanks to Cali helping me) and a PC III with a map from PATRICK.

I did go +2 on the rear sprocket it it has more push in the lower gears. you do bang through them a lot quicker though and will lose some top speed but its worth it.

the FE and and tires of course arent really mods but they are fun.

the biggest thing this bike needs is just a good suspension. granted, its lower on power than the RRs but it will stay with them in the twisties (given that your a decent rider)
thursday riders meet anywhere in H-town?? Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 5 08-18-2011 06:00 PM
Taste of the Town at The Woodlands Town Center Thursday 1/27 4-9pm Flip Events, Meets and Rides 2 01-27-2011 01:44 PM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
LIST OF RIDERS FOR H-TOWN STUNTWARS del240z Stunters Lounge 9 01-05-2008 04:21 PM
SV riders? Speedemon General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 09-01-2007 12:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
VDM

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2007 (Sold)
Yamaha Midnight Warrior 2009
Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Hi!

Here is my SV650 2007:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04892_1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	33786  
VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

tail bag

How do you like the tail bag? How does it mount? I have a fieldshear set up that is nice for long trips... the big tail roll is like having a lazy boy behind me (like a recliner)... I was tempted to get a tank bag just so I can have something to lay on when I take trips (like to the beach or San Antonio).

If you get down to the west side, hit me up and we can go ride... it'll be funny to see everyone else holding their ears when we ride past...
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
just did the gsxr front end swap on my '05 ... so far i'm loving it a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Speak w badItalian00; he's got an SV w some mods. zx14 shock, we spoke bout a fluid change to get by before doing emmulators or a gsxr fork swap.

squoddyboddy has an SV w a gsxr swap in progress in her build thread.
'03 SV650

gsxr front end
radial master cylinder
custom paint (courtesy of houseofpain)
M4 gp exhaust (shorty - black)
dual 5 3/4" head lamps
vapor cluster
gsxr lowering links (2-3")
custom shaved black faux-patent seats with 'SQUODDY' cut out
And SQODDY on the plate

I love my SV.

Still need to do the rear suspension - but I don't have the problems you big guys do on SV's - I'm 5-foot-nuthin' and on my best days don't weigh over a buck twenty. so I don't see what the big idea is???

Unfortunately I haven't ridden my bike in over four months, because I let somebody ride it - he did have some trouble with my suspension, and he high-sided. He wanted me to be patient with him to get the money to fix it, but I just want my bike back, so I made my hostage foot the repair bill - I think it comes to about $1700. I should be riding very soon. Just waiting on Tony!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #25
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

I like the belly pan! I have been thinking of getting one... It looks good!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #26
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

I got on eon ebay.... it's an SV1000 model so I had to mod the out of it to get it to fit right... but 1/2 an hour with a roto tool and some custom brackets (I had to make those too) and it was on... it's all for looks though... It's just the "chin spoiler" not an actual belly pan (the difference is the ability to hold fluids... a belly pan is required for racing so if you blow oil, it won't get on the track).

If your bike doens't get fixed would you consider selling it as is... I want that GSX-R front end... I did the racetech springs and emulators, and they are WAY better than stock, but I just want more control. I'm going to play with it this weekend... add some compression dampening and some spring pre-load to see if that helps.

I think I'm going the other way with my gearing... I'm going +2 on the front sprocket and staying with the 45 tooth rear.

Johnny
Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
NeedySV

Bike(s):
SV1000K6

w00t! SV's! w00t! I have yet to do a GSXR swap, but the front forks on the 1000 are much better stock then the 650's and I'm not that aggressive of a rider. Maybe one day when I have the extra $$$.
NeedySV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #28
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

04SV 650S

I have an '04 SV-650s with Intiminators in front forks and ZX-10 rear shock.

It handles and rides MUCH better than stock and is a hoot to ride. I live in Friendswood.

Are you a member of www.sv-rider.com forum as some of us get together to ride in the Houston area.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #29
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

correction - make that www.svrider.com forum.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
VDM

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2007 (Sold)
Yamaha Midnight Warrior 2009
Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I love the tail bag. It's very easy to mount it right on the rear seat.
VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #31
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

I will never sell! Haha. Its already finished - waiting on the paint so I can put it back together.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #32
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
I will never sell! Haha. Its already finished - waiting on the paint so I can put it back together.
Must see pics or its all LIES!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #33
RedAggie03
Gig 'Em Aggies!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
None

Send a message via AIM to RedAggie03
I've got a black SV1000S I love it.
RedAggie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #34
SVRIDER

Bike(s):
SV 1000 Naked

I love my SV bought it new in 03, I am taking her out today
Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #35
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRomeo View Post
Must see pics or its all LIES!!!
Pics all on my facebook page. I don't have any new pics. As soon as the painted bits are on, then I'll take a ton of photos!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #36
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #37
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

WOW... sorry I hadn't been checking this thread... I thought it died off... I'm glad to get shouts from Y'all...

Update... I finally got my suspension dialed in... I had to adjust the cartridge emulators past the "race" setting to get the dampening under control... and I have the fork springs cranked down almost to the stops... but the steering is nice and predictable and I can back off the fork per load for commuting... I know right where to put it back to for the weekends. YEAH!!! Although, I gotta admit... those Gixxer1k forks are looking nice Squoddy...

I found myself a TLR for a decent price... so this will probably be my commuter bike and I'll focus on fixing up the TLR (if I can get my hands on it before he sells it)... If that deal falls through I'm looking at an RC-51... I want to stick with a v-twin when I go up in displacement... I can get a zx or cb cheaper, but it's just not the same.

If everything falls through, then the 6-fiddy will be receiving a high compression kit and some nice cams this Christmas (what can I say??? The fat guy in the Red Suit likes me... LOL).

I am on Svrider.com ... I noticed a lot of the "experts" on their are douchebags and know it jerk offs... I tend to blow them off... I find that the people on here are a lot friendlier and are more willing to meet up for actual rides... I have been on the SV site maybe once since I got on MH... I am down for meeting up with anyone who wants to do a "twins" ride... I actually have been trying to get a "odd ducks and noobs" ride going... so all of us who aren't on super sport bikes can have our own little get together... for the twinners, the guzzis, the vmaxes, the kat-tuna's (that cracked me up) and all the rest of us out there who ride odd ball bikes just for the sake of riding... I had to cancel this weekend because my chain was way out of whack when I got home Friday... I heard a noise like ball bearings being poured down the intake... it was crazy loud... and I figured out it was the way I adjusted the chain (crooked)... I got it fixed ... ANYWAY... If you guys post a ride and I'm not in the middle of finals.... I am THERE.

Thanks again for everyone following up on this post... Cheers.

Johnny
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #38
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
'03 SV650

Still need to do the rear suspension - but I don't have the problems you big guys do on SV's - I'm 5-foot-nuthin' and on my best days don't weigh over a buck twenty. so I don't see what the big idea is???
If you want to try it out... You'd probably be happy with a 636 rear shock... I got my zx-14r shock on ebay for $50 with a swing arm that I may try and mod to fit on the SV (just to keep people guessing)... I have a listing of all the various shocks for different bikes and years and what they are rated at spring wise and their overall length. You want to get one that is as close to the original length as possible to avoid up the factory suspension geometry... when you start changing out the links, it changes the moment arm (amount of leverage) applied to the shock and the swing arm and if they aren't in the "sweet spot", it'll give you a harsh ride... I got lucky that I didn't have to add or subtract from my dog bones... Maybe since you went with longer dog bones (to shorten the seat height) you could go to a shock that brings the pivot back into its original position without changing the height... I have some free time coming up in a couple weeks... I can take a peek at the geometry and make a recommendation based on the data I have (if you'd like). It's not as good as a full blown race shock, but with a 75hp motor, how race can you get??? Plus, I'm all about saving dough... and if you can get a great shock from a ZX-6R or a Gixxer (compared to the factory SV junk) for $50... that's better to me than spending $400 or so on a race shock from ohlins or penske... Just my 2 cents (so nobody get their undies in a bunch over that... or this will look just like the SV rider forums... there's a reason I don't go on there anymore...).

Anyway... I am willing to bet the spring rate is probably fine for your needs, but the desire for adjustable dampening may do wonders... and a gixxer or zx shock would offer those things (my zx-14r is a dream compared to the stocker, but I am still dialing it in for my needs).

PM me if you want a copy of the shock data I have or want to collaborate on getting your geometry back into spec while maintaining the drop in seat height. It never hurts to know a good engineer. LOL

Johnny

PS Sorry for the novel... I get long winded when I'm typing...
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #39
wcombs

Bike(s):
2009 Suzuki SV650S
1971 Honda C70
1979 Honda Z50R

SV newb

Newb here on a new 2009 SVS. Concentrating on modifying the pilot's performance and experience. I did the fender eliminator. The front suspension is pretty weak and there is no rebound dampening in the rear.....so maybe I'll mess with it a bit.

Wes
wcombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #40
PatternAgainst
User.

Bike(s):
Tiger 800xc

05 SV650 here.
probably going to sell it though :(
PatternAgainst is offline   Reply With Quote