MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

SV riders of H-town... Sound Off

Wutzup!?!?!?!? I'm looking for all my H-town based SV ridin' folks. I am a mechanical engineer with a federal aircraft mechanics license and about 25 years of riding and building bikes and doing fabrication work... and I'm tired of these 4 cylinder fools trying to trounce our V-twins... I have been tweaking my suspension, brakes, motor, etc... and I am looking for inputs from locals who want to build their bikes up ... 650's, big bores, 1k's... etc... let's do this...

I'm on a street fighter 650, that will be getting a big bore kit and some cams this winter... and I'm looking to buy a bro's 2003 SV1k in the next month or so... gonna see what kind of power you can squeeze out of it with some TL cams... etc... Maybe do a GSX suspension swap...

If you're on an SV and wanna talk shop or just get together to make a showing at local events... let's do it!!!

Johnny

almostdone001
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thursday riders meet anywhere in H-town?? Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 5 08-18-2011 06:00 PM
Taste of the Town at The Woodlands Town Center Thursday 1/27 4-9pm Flip Events, Meets and Rides 2 01-27-2011 01:44 PM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
LIST OF RIDERS FOR H-TOWN STUNTWARS del240z Stunters Lounge 9 01-05-2008 04:21 PM
SV riders? Speedemon General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 09-01-2007 12:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

just did the gsxr front end swap on my '05 ... so far i'm loving it a lot.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

don't mess with the GSX front ends.... GO gsxr. 88-90 are conventional forks just like yours.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
77423 ? i dont think that exist's ....... or does it ???? .. brookshire ohhh , ok .............. carry on then .

Last edited by ANTISOCIAL; 04-11-2010 at 01:02 AM.
ANTISOCIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Hey johnny, there is nothing wrong with the vtwins, i got one myself and love it....
Old 04-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Hey johnny, there is nothing wrong with the vtwins, i got one myself and love it....
I had one for a little bit... and im back to an I-4
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
i think we are supposed to call ours "L-twins"
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
sawb02s
squid/noob - squob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
i think we are supposed to call ours "L-twins"
If you wheelie they kind of become a v-twin....
sawb02s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #9
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawb02s View Post
If you wheelie they kind of become a v-twin....
touche'
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
sawb02s
squid/noob - squob

+1 for suspension work. Either GSXR forks or cartridge emulators for the stocks. GL and have fun with it man.

Last edited by sawb02s; 04-11-2010 at 01:58 AM.
sawb02s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:40 AM   #11
mammothmc

I'm leaning towards a supercharger on my sv1000
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i am of the sv persuasion

what all have you done to your sv?
pictured below is some crazy sv modding... not mine, lol
svrtrear

i await the results of a mechanical engineer with an sv.
good choice on the barends, they are so much nicer than the stock shoulder mirrors
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Speak w badItalian00; he's got an SV w some mods. zx14 shock, we spoke bout a fluid change to get by before doing emmulators or a gsxr fork swap.

squoddyboddy has an SV w a gsxr swap in progress in her build thread.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

I have done the fork spring upgrade, the RaceTech gold, cartridge emulators, and oil upgrade on my forks... they still SUCK !!! The rear has a zx-14r ('08) shock in place... HUGE upgrade... but still not enough to keep it from pogo-ing under my big ... I don't know how many of you have looked... but I'm a 6ft tall, 230 lbs dude... I LOVE (like I would marry this if it could promise me affection and fidelity) my torque band on my engine... but the suspension sucks ASSSSSS!!! am riding a pogo stick that likes to go 0-60 in2.4 seconds. Ask Shimano Girl... I have a HARD time keeping the front tire down under hard acceleration, and I am not exactly little... LOL

Anyway... I am doing a big bore kit and a cam swap this winter when this bike goes down for the winter (as well as a high performance clutch upgrade and maybe a gsx-r fork swap and a few other things I wanna do) and between now and then I'm doing a 17 tooth front sprocket swap to see if I can re-arrange the rpm band a little...15-45 is no bueno for me... I need to be able to use the upper torque band in the turns or this thing is useless... so I'm trying to get it where I need it.

SO I'm an engineer (power systems... so this kinda stuff IS my bread and butter) and aeronautics systems (again... all this shizzay is what I do for a living, and I love it!!!) .... and I like to fab projects from exisiting or scratch... if any of y'all wanna swap ideas... some ou tto the house and let's put something together. I'm tired of being told by the "know it alls" on the Sv forums that I can't do this or that...so I told them they were #1 and just kept on truckin... of course, they're the same folks that told me my shock "wouldn't fit my bike" when I did my swap. Yeah I had to grind down the spacer a little, but it fits GREAT after that. LOL

I wanna build some SV's that rival the old school TLR's and RC-51's and then leave them in the dust... anyone wanna play along???

Johnny
Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark954rr View Post
I had one for a little bit... and im back to an I-4
SISSY!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

BTW... for those of you who assume my SV is stock suspension (or stock anything) ... I'll let you go for a ride... most SV stock owners come back grinning ear to ear ( of course, most of y'all weigh in around 160-180... I'm about 230 without gear) ... But after a week of riding with Super Sport bikes you'll be and crying like me too... LOL My bike is "far from stock" but not what I want... I really want an RC-51... but I have an '03 650... and refuse to just trade it in... I'm one of those who INSISTS on fixing things... Sorry... It' just my personality... it's why I'm a good engineer... and a horrible forum poster... All I do is and then post about the stuff I did to fix what I bitched about.. and then post again about why it wasn't good enough... Can we say OCD!?!?!?!? LOL

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny77423; 04-12-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

so where do you ride at?
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

I live on Racer's Road and commute daily back and forth to Prairie View and College Station... I'll be the guy going really slow making a lot of noise... LOL

Sorry for the potty mouth in my posts... I was having a little conversation with Mr. Jameson last night and he was right... Whiskey does make you talk too much. LOL

So this winter I'm doing a build on my bike...

744cc Big bore kit (3mm over)... cams, and ported and polished heads... velcoity stacks, full exhaust, bored throttle bodies, etc for the motor... That should net around 100HP at the wheels... maybe an extra 10 lbs of tq. on the top end. This will no longer be the user friendly motor that the SV is known for... it'll be more like an old school race twin with a rev limit at 11k ( I don't want to over rev this bike or I'll grenade the cases). I'm also thinking at that point 'll have to get a billet crank, because the stock crank is the weakest part of the engine.

GSX-R 750 front end swap (the showa inverts)... leaving the zx-14 shock on the back ... it's got good dampening and the spring rate is good enough... I just need to get my front end to tighten up.Stainless brake lines and obviously I'll switch to the GSX-r brakes (since they'll probably come with the front end and rim from the donor bike.

That's really it... I don't want to change the looks of it (except maybe to get a new radiator... mines a little rashed) and some of those radiator shrouds... the plastic ones that suzuki wants $250 for... I'm going to make some molds and cast some from fiberglass... Cheaper and I can control the way it looks that way... I didn't like the factory ones... they're a little too ugly for me... I just want to hide that ugly radiator.

When I tally it up, if It comes to more than $4k for the build, then I'm just going to leave it alone and buy a liter bike instead (I can get an SV1k for $4000 if I look around or a zx-10r for $5k). I know... I'm a sellout for saying that, but I want more top end ... hitting the rev limiter in a corner will flat out scare the out of you... the whole bike surges and if you're not on your toes, you'll be eating gravel for lunch. LOL I found out while I was chasing a pasta rocket over the weekend ... LOL

BY the way... who was on the Red 1st gen bike near brookshire yesterday... I tried to flag you down to shoot the breeze, but got no response...

J
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Has anyone had much luck with going to a 17 tooth front sprocket??? I hear that opens up the rev range a little more ... and it doesn't hurt the acceleration too bad... instead of 2.5 second 0-60 it's like 3 seconds... and you won't accidentally pull the front wheel at 90 mph anymore when you drop the clutch too hard...

I'm due for a chain and sprocket set before I leave for tennessee this summer... I'll let y'all know how it feels and what it does to the rev band and the fuel economy... Since I went to iridium plugs I've been getting 40-45 mpg while I'm beating the out of it on the weekends... It likes to be above 6k rpms now... I'm going to check the new plugs to make sure I'm not running too lean at that rpm range... which would explain the anemic feel and the sudden jump in mpg.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
so where do you ride at?
Noticed you live in montgomery... I'll hit you up when I go up to the forest ... We can get out there and wind them out a little... they make me ride in the back though because I have that race can on my twin and it's pretty obnoxious... LOL

J

Advertisement