MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Question Calculating shift point

What variables are necessary to calculate how to make an ideal clutchless shift? (bike or car)

Is engine speed (RPM), wheel speed (speedometer) and gear ratio enough?

What is the equation?

for example - shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear on my bike what should my RPM and speedo indicate to allow for the "ideal" clutchless shift?

Thanks!

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the point 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 107 05-24-2011 07:57 PM
Did you ever get to a point... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 46 04-16-2009 08:05 AM
At what point would you consider enough is enough? lisiecki1 Off Topic 14 01-01-2009 11:55 AM
What's the point? indoMLA General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 03-28-2008 04:06 PM
Don't Shift with your foot, Shift with your THUMB! AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-15-2006 08:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
lorin70

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Mechanically you can shift at any point. To get maximum drive at the rear wheel, shift at the point where the calculated driving force applied to the rear wheel in the next gear becomes greater that what it is in the current gear based on the torque/horspower curve for your engine. Engine power multiplied by the total gear ratio working on the rear wheel.

Torque is more important in lower gears and hp is more important in higher gears.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_art/index.html
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioGuru View Post
What variables are necessary to calculate how to make an ideal clutchless shift? (bike or car)

Is engine speed (RPM), wheel speed (speedometer) and gear ratio enough?

What is the equation?

for example - shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear on my bike what should my RPM and speedo indicate to allow for the "ideal" clutchless shift?

Thanks!
Define "ideal"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i dont know the specifics but i know when shifting clutchless will be rough or very smooth... so i stick to when it's smooth. seems like lower rpms on my bike and its only when i'm cruising and too lazy to put my hand on the clutch since my hand is on my hip leg ... go ahead and judge me its okay i wont get upset
+1. Never really understood the point of clutchless shifting on the street (unless, like you, I'm just being lazy at the moment).
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
+1. Never really understood the point of clutchless shifting on the street (unless, like you, I'm just being lazy at the moment).
Extends the life of your clutch cable (if you have one )
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i dont know the specifics but i know when shifting clutchless will be rough or very smooth... so i stick to when it's smooth. seems like lower rpms on my bike and its only when i'm cruising and too lazy to put my hand on the clutch since my hand is on my hip leg ... go ahead and judge me its okay i wont get upset
actually dave, on our 650's i find clutchless upshifting to be way smoother at higher RPM's. i clutch up from 1st to 2nd, then clutchless from there. like i said higher RPM's, so if i'm going slow i use the clutch. at the track its clutchless all the way ('cept from 1st to 2nd again). just put some pressure on the shift lever, then let off the gas for a split second so it can shift, then back on the gas!

i always us the clutch for downshifts though.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
It is really more a theoretical geeky/nerdy mathematical question than an applied question.

In theory one should be able to make every shift without the clutch if the speeds of the transmission and gears (or engine side vs. wheel side if you like) are matched exactly. So there should be a formula to determine how to match those.

The ideal shift for the purposes of this discussion is one that minimizes the strain on the entire drive train.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:

The ideal shift for the purposes of this discussion is one that minimizes the strain on the entire drive train.
I think that would be more about load than RPMs or wheel speed
Old 04-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I think that would be more about load than RPMs or wheel speed
Minimize the strain on the drive train during the shift.

Maintaining a consistent load will minimize the strain. A bad shift even at low speeds/RPMs will strain the drive train more than a smooth shift at higher speeds.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Minimize the strain on the drive train during the shift.

Maintaining a consistent load will minimize the strain. A bad shift even at low speeds/RPMs will strain the drive train more than a smooth shift at higher speeds.
I don't think so. I am pretty sure you want to drop the load. As was stated apply pressure on the shifter and cut the throttle momentarily. This allows the friction forces keeping it in one gear to reduce and it will shift. This is how the pressure sensitive auto shift devices work. They read your pressure on the shifter and cut of the injectors to cut power and then reapply when the gear has shifted. This is faster than hand control. My .02 could be totally wrong, so don't hold me to it.

Also the RPMs of one gear to the next is a set ratio no mater what RPM the engine is cranking. The only optimization would be for power delivery and engine brake efficiency (how the load cut off takes effect on the tranny).
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement