MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
80% of the fair market value, as determined by them. A bill of sale/receipt will do no good. You can spend the $150 or so to get a professional appraisal and attmept to over ride their value. You might save $10 that way.

That's how it works in TX. You think that's bad? Buy something from out of state and bring it here....
brought my busa in from outta state, paid sales tax and registration, thats about it.

Quote:
they wouldnt allow me to register either without this huge inspection (I think it was called a red sheet?). I actually had to leave my car overnight for this inspection to be performed. The bike was done in an hour, but he had to check off 50 or so items, and I had to take that form in. NY is famous for bleeding people dry, but in this instance, TX outdid NY. Maryland is a , too.
took my bike to local insp. place, watched, like $12 and got the red sheet or whatever it was rode it home, got it registered. you got ripped! this was aug. last yr.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike registration Evfr General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-16-2009 11:09 PM
New Bike Registration in Texas randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-12-2008 10:42 AM
registration for your bike. (besides DPS) AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 08-31-2007 11:27 PM
Bike Registration Help RedRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-06-2006 01:38 PM
help with bike registration. Chris24 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-25-2005 03:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

This was 5 years ago. That is what I was instructed to do when I tried to register them (each at different times, by different people). I actually thought about selling the bike and buying a new one here because the fees were horrible.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #23
hiddenvalley
:)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
02 r6
04 60rr

Quote:
This was 5 years ago. That is what I was instructed to do when I tried to register them (each at different times, by different people). I actually thought about selling the bike and buying a new one here because the fees were horrible.
yeah you still got ripped off. I bought most of my cars and bikes from out of state ( tend to find the best deal that way.) registration, tax. 1.00 for the extra form, <$13.00 inspection and done.

edit. first time was like 6 or 5 years ago. Last time was just last year. Nothing changed yet.
hiddenvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
R6Chris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 R6
05 YZ125

The way i figured it the kbb value of my bike is about 6k but i didn't buy it for that and with my 1700 miles on my bike i'm afraid all the fee's are gonna end up to like 400-500 cause i did the math and it'll be like $350-$400 if its 6.25% tax. i just don't wanna end up getting screwed by taxes.
R6Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
I had to pay almost $1000 in fees to bring my car in, and $500 to bring my bike in.
you may have got hosed by them

normally, you just need to pay the taxes, registration fee, application fee for a texas title.

the bike or car does need to be inspected before you go register it.

if this is all that you paid, then you are good
viper3ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chris View Post
The way i figured it the kbb value of my bike is about 6k but i didn't buy it for that and with my 1700 miles on my bike i'm afraid all the fee's are gonna end up to like 400-500 cause i did the math and it'll be like $350-$400 if its 6.25% tax. i just don't wanna end up getting screwed by taxes.
you can thank all the people before you that claimed they got a bike for $1 and paid taxes on that $1. the state now says KBB value is what you're gonna pay. makes sense.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #27
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
I already paid 3500 in taxes in NY on the car when I bought it new. They charged me some value based fee, and I had to get a $150 inspection to say that a 6 month old car was worthy to be put on the road in TX. Same happened with the bike. TX raped me.
actually, you raped yourself.

i have also bought a car out of state paying out of state taxes when i was in the military and then brought home to register in texas.

there's a place on the application for title that asks how much you paid in out of state taxes. you then calculate the texas taxes by multiplying by .0625 or somthing close to that and you subtract the out of state taxes from the texas taxes and pay the difference. i have done that on 2 cars.

also from my experience with cars (not bikes) if you feel out those numbers right and calculte them correctly, they dont bother about the value of the car, they just go by how mucch you paid as shown on the bill of sale.

at least thats how it works at the brzoria county tax office where i get mine done
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Quote:
they wouldnt allow me to register either without this huge inspection (I think it was called a red sheet?). I actually had to leave my car overnight for this inspection to be performed. The bike was done in an hour, but he had to check off 50 or so items, and I had to take that form in. NY is famous for bleeding people dry, but in this instance, TX outdid NY. Maryland is a , too.
well, you are in luck. i still run maryland plates on my car presently. i ran texas plates while i was in maryland.

for maryland, you have to get the car inspected before initial registration( $75) and they are strict. you could fail for something as small as a bumper that feels shaky.

but after that, you are done, no stickers, car never needs another inspection while you own it except it gets sold. personally, i prefer that to Texas yearly inspection system. you might frown at the initial inspection strictness in MD but you supposed to have thread on your tires or working lights on your car so there's nothoing wrong with them.

i can assure you, texas has nothing on new york. that place is just .

and like i said earlier, there is a place on the form to account for the taxes you paid in another state so you should never have to pay double taxes
Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #29
R6Chris

Bike(s):
06 R6
05 YZ125

ok bought my bike for about $5000 its got about 2000 miles, and it looks brand new. what am i ooking at for taxes? andyone registered a bike like this recently? i don't want any suprises.
R6Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #30
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Quote:
i got mty first car in maryland in 05 and to switch to texas tags and since then i've gone thru 4, 3 of which i switched tags from maryland to texas and had to go thru the whole process to get texas titles on them. the last one still sports maryland tags.

so no matter how you go about it, if you pay more than the 6.% taxes, you got hosed.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #31
messiahx

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R6
2007 Ninja 650R
2008 Ninja 250R

So wasn't there a thing where you can say you got it as a gift and not have to pay taxes?
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #32
yamaR6281
i ride really slow

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahx View Post
So wasn't there a thing where you can say you got it as a gift and not have to pay taxes?
as of september of last year, only if it's the same address or family members( sister, brother, mom, dad, and grandparents). Uncle, aunt, cousins doesn't count.
yamaR6281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #33
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
i got mty first car in maryland in 05 and to switch to texas tags and since then i've gone thru 4, 3 of which i switched tags from maryland to texas and had to go thru the whole process to get texas titles on them. the last one still sports maryland tags.

so no matter how you go about it, if you pay more than the 6.% taxes, you got hosed.
It WASNT TAXES!!!!

It was a FEE they charged me based on the value of the car I was bringing into the state.

My registration FEES were around $800. Then I had to pay for that inspection. If the car wasnt one of 425 made, I would have ditched it and bought here.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement