MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #101
The Trav
slowpoke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Yeah cause getting run over is by far the most common wreck riders have.......
You sound like a douche harley rider saying that helmets just make the difference between an open or closed casket.

Wife got hit by a car last year. Helmet saved her life. Jacket saved her arm. Nasty compound fracture with bone sticking out everywhere. The jacket contained the injury & kept the road debris out of the wound. She's alive & back to 95% thanks to the gear. But hey, who needs a right arm when it makes you look gay.
Another good example as to why we should wear more than just shorts, a t-shirt, and helmet. I dont mind looking "gay" wearing gear. Whats gay is having your skin stuck to the pavement, and your brains all over the road.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm Back Suckas! w/ video 103 Taking it to the Track 15 07-16-2012 01:22 PM
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
Gear Vault(gear available to be borrowed) OMEGA Gear Talk 5 08-07-2009 11:15 AM
gear saved my like last night so people who dont wear gear TAKE A LOOK!!!!! dcm5586 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 11-03-2008 07:50 PM
wrd suckas LowNSlowNeon Off Topic 14 06-28-2006 11:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #102
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Yeah cause getting run over is by far the most common wreck riders have.......
You sound like a douche harley rider saying that helmets just make the difference between an open or closed casket.

Wife got hit by a car last year. Helmet saved her life. Jacket saved her arm. Nasty compound fracture with bone sticking out everywhere. The jacket contained the injury & kept the road debris out of the wound. She's alive & back to 95% thanks to the gear. But hey, who needs a right arm when it makes you look gay.

please...it sounds like you just haven't been around enough, i've lost several friends with lids on and full gear, then i have a friend who was in a coma for 3 months and it's been 6 months and he is just now walking...he wrecked at 60mph with no lid, his insides got up, internal bleeding and broken hip...no gear isn't my choice at all...just sayin it's old already
Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #103
Davekg
Honda Rider

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Throw the first stone. Criticizing someone on the internet via the picture one took while driving is ridiculous. If one cares so much chase them down and tell them...don't bash them on a forum where they can't either justify what they were doing or give an excuse/reasoning for it...or tell you to off.

It's just ridiculous and stupid.

As for my agenda...I want to be able to voice my opinion. Which is what I'm doing...just like the OP.
Kewl... but you're also helping raise awareness by arguing ... so thank you

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #104
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 04-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.
DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #105
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
The essence of riding is defying gravity by supplementing inertia, defying the concerns of loved ones for the therapy of adrenaline.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #106
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboygeorge View Post
bwahahaha whos down for an underwear ride?
I'm down!

Hmmmm... I'm a squid, I guess. I always wear jeans when I ride. And sometimes I wear regular pretty boots instead of m/c boots. BUT I'm a grown woman and I make my own decisions - as I suspect many of you are on this forum.

e-thugging is just silly. I'm a mom, but I'm not your mom, so make your own decisions.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #107
The Trav
slowpoke

Quote:
I wear all my gear. You're missing my point. Big surprise there.

All I'm saying is that if you're commuting to work and you get hit going 65mph and get run over, you're screwed. Doesn't matter how much gear you have on. Guys in full leathers die on race tracks too. Look at what happened to Craig Jones...

Be realistic.

The Trav: That sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do. Don't you think?
Nevermind. Having a conversation with you is like having one with a pile of rocks.

Ill just put it out there that I refuse to ride without at least helmet/jacket/gloves/jeans/laced up shoes. But its cool, to all you that choose otherwise, good luck when the hits the fan, or rather the skin hits the pavement.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #108
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Oh come on...you get run over you're dead.

The MotoGP or anyone who runs on a track is in a totally different playing field than riding on the street or highways. You're much safer on the track because there aren't cars or huge cement barriers to smash into going full speed. (most of the time at least)

I'm not saying that people who WEAR gear are gay. But people who criticize on the internet and post pictures definitely have had a in their mouth at one point or another...for sure.
Just because you get hit, doesn't mean you're dead... and you're not dead until your the brain is toast and/or the heart has stopped in a permanent manner.

Want to compare experiences? I've had an SuV hit by a squid at 80+, and I've taken the front end of an SuV. Gimpin2Fold... I think took a truck head on, got messed up pretty good, but he's still with us. Got one or two guys that got read-ended too.

People want to post pics up folx riding w/o gear, or riding stupid... feel free.
No harm and no foul, though I'd rather see/hear about bad riding habits than calling em a 'squid' merely for lack of gear.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #109
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

My main point in wearing gear on a personal level is for my family. My second reason is because of recovery times and less extensive injury and death.... There are accidents that nobody will survive regardless of gear....

I like the squid forums because seeing what people do reminds me of I used to do and when I did it I didn't know.... didn't have all the information before me... If I have the opportunity to talk to somebody about it I see out there i do... I've got a guy I work with a friend who rides his CBR1k with shorts gym shoes and tank tops sometimes no helmet... I talk to him but he won't change and well that's his choice.... But if he went don't and got killed or f'ed up I know I talked to him..

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #110
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #111
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

I like squid pictures 'cause you can see chica's boobies better.

I look like the Goodyear blimp in my riding and cold weather gear. No one wants to see my pudge put putting around in a wife beater and flip flops. That would just be disgusting. So to protect innocent eyes I will dress as gayly as I wish and trip merrily along my path with all my gear all of the time. Knowing full well that a single inattentive driver can put an end to my, apparently, cack loving life (Though I have never been able to bend far enough to get mine in., probably a good thing as I would never leave the house if I could).

And gentles don't worry about me or any of these other guys. We are just worried about natural selection, where you, obviously, are not. Besides my insurance premiums are pretty darn cheap so carry on.

Cheers,
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #112
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I wouldnt wear gear either if I rode to galveston every weekend and sat on the seawall.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #113
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Wow. Pretty simple. People with and without gear die in motorcycle crashes. People with and without seatbelts and airbags die in car crashes. People who don't drink bacon grease from a 5 galloin bucket might still die of a heart attack and so on ad nauseum...

The facts are, your chances of reducing injury and/or surviving improve greatly with proper gear, training and behavior. It's not rocket science. I've spent 39.5 years on this planet, a large number of them involving inherently risky activities and I've buried a lot of friends. Some of them could not have been prevented with proper gear or judgement, but most of them could.

I've got a large patch of oddly colored skin on my right arm from a getoff at triple digits - on the track and in race leathers that got chewed through in spots during the slide. I'd have been seeing bones on the street without leather. I've broken two vertebrae, cracked 3 ribs, collarbone twice, metataursals, jaw, sternum, tibia, fibula, radius, ulna, scaphoid, metacarpals an ankle and various other pieces over the years between bikes, cars and parachutes. I'd have been dead several times over without the gear. You won't catch me jumping without an AAD, driving without a seatbelt or riding without gear. What we do is dangerous. Take what precautions you can, and this includes judgement and training - not just gear. Too many idiots to count out there. Don't be one of them.
CCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #114
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
What we do is dangerous. Take what precautions you can, and this includes judgement and training - not just gear. Too many idiots to count out there. Don't be one of them.
Nicely said.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #115
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW@T View Post
I'll share some of my calamari with ya homie
2016535658 6bda78a89a

Oh and ibtl
im hungry! but for real this thread is wack. you aint gunna change anyones mind about gear. pretty squidly to make fun of peoples choices and brag about how much gear you wear and how much safer you are. if you ask me. the best gear out there is your brain and common sense.
klassik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #116
mammothmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassik View Post
this thread is wack. you aint gunna change anyones mind about gear. .
I disagree. We keep the wife's helmet on display at the shop to use as a prop when I start telling wreck stories to squids. I've saved lots of lives by offering some knowledge/opinions.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #117
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
Since you asked.

CM

if you look closely there is def a booty shot in there.
you don't scare me. I've met worse.

Besides they look like the goodyear blimp I was mentioning and that's without the gear. I shudder to think what they would look like in skin tight race leathers.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #118
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996

Member Garage

Years of gear - Most of my (and my wife's) leathers in the upstairs closet - some textile, helmets and other assorted stuff in other spots around the house. A couple of them have some pretty serious scuffs and/or repairs in them. I believe in the power of leather and body armor...

picturephp?albumid114&amppictureid609
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #119
ILowNslowI
R1

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Years of gear - Most of my (and my wife's) leathers in the upstairs closet - some textile, helmets and other assorted stuff in other spots around the house. A couple of them have some pretty serious scuffs and/or repairs in them. I believe in the power of leather and body armor...

picturephp?albumid114&amppictureid609

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol...nice investments!
ILowNslowI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #120
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILowNslowI View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol...nice investments!
EBAY brother, it's a wonderful thing The Dainese K suit was an anniversary present from my wife about 8 years ago, but pretty much everything else was a "deal" from somewhere.

Advertisement