MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #61
Shinyman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
As always.
+2
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racer X spotting? alexb0i General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 06-09-2012 11:10 PM
member spotting: XR motard on 45S mx6er General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-06-2011 08:18 PM
Too Cool 4 School (Squid Spotting) The Habernatho General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 08-24-2009 10:20 AM
JUICE spotting.... 50cc chick Off Topic 17 06-14-2007 02:02 PM
Squid spotting today on the southside!!! Neversatisfied02 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 02-23-2007 09:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #62
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

silence brothers!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #63
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

S.Q.U.I.D. Stupid, Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant, Dangerous...

Stupid - texting/talking on cell while Riding

Dangerous - not paying attention to traffic and having to swerve to the shoulder to avoid a wreck

Underdressed - not yet, but if he crashes then he will be considered to be underdressed for the occasion.

So yeah, I'd deem him a SQUID. and for the stunters in here complainging about all the gear... get over it, he was talking about freeway riding not parking lots.

and to the other guy calling the OP a squid because of his riding experience... If you're not riding at the time, how can you be a SQUID? just based on the amount of time riding?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #64
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurgeD View Post
i don't ride streets,...just in parking lots at 5 mph...and yeah i still slip up every now and again and a lid saves my skull....but at speeds of 50 mph + going to a dead stop....chances are your brain is gonna swell up and kill you...i've lost a few friends cause of bikes and either there poor choice or a cagers poor choice.
I'd rather take that chance than my head being smashed against a curb at 50mph. there is a higher probablility that you'll die with no helmet
Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #65
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
I'd rather take that chance than my head being smashed against a curb at 50mph. there is a higher probablility that you'll die with no helmet
Don't forget the other aspect... a sudden stop at 50+mph does not mean your head/helmet wil bounce off something.... but like leather, mesh.. it handles the abrasion factor a lot better than flesh & hair. Easier to replace a helmet, than an ear or parts of your face.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #66
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
There really is something to be said about grammar, punctuation, and just basic English.
Seriously..

Quote:
i don't ride streets,...just in parking lots at 5 mph...and yeah i still slip up every now and again and a lid saves my skull....but at speeds of 50 mph + going to a dead stop....chances are your brain is gonna swell up and kill you...i've lost a few friends cause of bikes and either there poor choice or a cagers poor choice.
After watching people go down at well over 50 and sliding and tumbling across the ground get up and have rash all down their helmets, mesh jackets torn, and leather scuffed and still get up and walk away with 0% skin removed. Although all of them that I have seen were really sore for the next couple of days. I would have to say I don't agree with your 50+mph helmet or no helmet = death theory..

Now if in your example you are only talking about 50 to a complete stop, like a wall...well ya you might be right there.. But if you plow into a wall I mean come on ..

And this thread pops up so many times, if you don't want to wear gear fine! But that will not stop me from pointing at my head to symbolize, "you need a fckin helmet!"

And not all people that don't wear gear are squids, sure. but about 80% of the time I would feel comfortable saying that they are. Like the other day, I'm filling up gas and I hear someone revving a 600 over and over at the light.. I look up and its a Zx6r with a flame paint job, the owner is wearing a baseball hat, basketball shorts, flip flops, and a beater, with the helmet attached to the side.. He proceeds to rev every once in a while and once the light turns green he goes to take off...stalls it.. I can see the bike starting to drop so I start walking from mine to the road, but he's able to stop it from hitting the ground. So then he is sitting there wondering why the bike won't start while cars are honking and going around him.. I can see him looking around on where he's going to push it, that's when I yell 'neutral..?' I then see him look down at his gauges and start clicking with his left foot.. He got it started and took off and almost killed it again..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #67
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #68
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Squid Spotting 2010

Thought this was ironic next to the ambulance.
DSCN0673
DSCN0676

Scientists Discover Corona Tank Top Safer Than Leather

Monday July 7, 2003

By IAN JOHNSTON, Staff Reporter

SANTA MONICA, California - In a startling report, scientists and researchers with the National Institute of Highway Safety today announced the results of a five-year study, which concludes that motorcyclists wearing Corona tank top shirts are better protected in a fall than wearers of any other garment. "We were amazed, really," said lead researcher Randall Garcia. "We went into this study pretty sure in our belief that leather riding gear provided the best protection in a motorcycle accident."

The landmark five year study, which included analysis of accident reports, as well as empirical tests of different materials in simulated crash conditions, is causing an uproar in the motorcycle safety community. "I'm utterly outraged that they dared publish this report," said noted motorcycle safety expert Daniel Hough. "I've advocated full leather riding gear for years, and here they're claiming a tank top can prevent injuries?" Hough claims to have seen the results of numerous motorcycle accidents over his 30+ year riding career, and without variation, those people wearing clothing such as t-shirts and cotton pants fared worst.

"Actually, that's the surprising thing," said Michael MacConnor, one of the materials scientists who contributed to the report. "We were positive that the statistics were incorrect, so we did some testing on different materials." MacConnor explained that the study included simulated abrasion tests on a variety of different materials--lightweight cotton, heavy cotton, nylon, leather, kevlar, etc. The materials testing, he said, confirmed that leather displayed the best abrasion-resistance characteristics, followed closely by kevlar-reinforced nylon, a popular alternative material.

MacConnor continued, "the abrasion tests showed what we expected, but it was when we went to actual real-life crash scenarios that we got our surprise." That surprise, as detailed in the report, was that the Corona-branded tank tops actually did provide better protection to the rider in a crash, according to detailed crash reports. Several different brands of tank top and t-shirt were researched. "I mean, the Coors shirt, the Michelob shirt, the Miller Lite shirt, none of them had a chance," explained Garcia. "The Corona shirt had absolutely unexplainable powers of protection, but only when worn by the rider."

"The best riding outfit we found, the best combination, was the Corona tank top, cutoff jean shorts, white sneakers and a backwards-facing ball cap," explained a bewildered-sounding Garcia. "The rest of the clothes didn't seem to have any brand-influenced attributes, but the real 'magic' ingredient was the Corona shirt," he continued.

Although the scientists are at a loss to explain their conclusions, they are working on the problem. Garcia reports that they are conducting a follow-up study that will focus on the amazing protective properties of the Corona tank top, trying to determine exactly what it is about the shirt that provides this "near-invincible" protection to the wearer, in Garcia's words, yet provides almost no abrasion resistance under controlled test conditions.

"To think of all the times I cringed at those guys, riding around in their Corona shirts," lamented Garcia. "They were probably laughing at me."

The Corona brewing company did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

This satire copyright 2003 Ian Johnston, all rights reserved, with thanks to Jesse Dosher for the idea. Copyrighted and trademarked names are the property of their respective owners.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #69
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Lack of Gear is a possible indicator, but NOT a defining factor of a 'Squid'.

...lack of intelligence on the other hand. <shrug>
Right , Kind of like the time when someone called out Arlen Ness for being a squid for not wearing gear
Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #70
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
ok so all gear all the time? come try and do what I do in leathers and knee high boots, i agree a helmet and gloves should just be the basic ppe...
Well I think the rule doesn't mean wear race gear while stunting

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #71
GSXR_911
I'm awesome, mom said so

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750 Black/Black

IMO a squid is someone who gets a bike to "look" kewl, and not for the enjoyment. One that like stated before revs at the light to have ppl look at them. There are many different types of riders from you stunters to us newbs to squids. The point is no one is finger pointing at you in particular (unless that was you in the pictures). Its the guys that feel the need to ride with no gear and yet still ride like a clown I have an issue with, but if thats their choice so be it. Its a maturity thing, and maybe cause I'm a little older I can see the big picture, and not feel like I have to show off to the car with the cute girl in it that I'll most likely never see again, who isn't going "OMG he's soooo awesome", but instead say "what a tard, now where is the nail place?" Ride how you want to ride wear what you want to wear, like stated before, you can't change stupid
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #72
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_911 View Post
IMO a squid is someone who gets a bike to "look" kewl, and not for the enjoyment. One that like stated before revs at the light to have ppl look at them. There are many different types of riders from you stunters to us newbs to squids. The point is no one is finger pointing at you in particular (unless that was you in the pictures). Its the guys that feel the need to ride with no gear and yet still ride like a clown I have an issue with, but if thats their choice so be it. Its a maturity thing, and maybe cause I'm a little older I can see the big picture, and not feel like I have to show off to the car with the cute girl in it that I'll most likely never see again, who isn't going "OMG he's soooo awesome", but instead say "what a tard, now where is the nail place?" Ride how you want to ride wear what you want to wear, like stated before, you can't change stupid
So true, you cannot change stupid..... stupid has to change himself...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #73
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I love the squid threads. Someone poss up funny pictures of some dumb wearing little more than shorts and a tank top and there is ALWAYS that one person that takes it personally for some weird reason and gets really offended and pretty much up the thread, but ironically makes it more interesting by stirring up. I get a laugh of it all.

I like seeing squid pics and making fun of them, personally. I dont see what the big deal is. I think the people that get all hurt are the ones that ride with no gear and they take it as a personal attack on themselves.

I, myself, could not give two if no one wore gear.

Please post more pics.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #74
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who? View Post
I agree, I have been out on the HD all weekend with no gear, feels a little weird at first but then I really started to enjoy it.
Last time I rode a Harley, someone told me that the whole jacket and helmet thing didnt look right on a Harley. I felt like throwing him face first into the asphalt to get the point across why I wear the gear.

But I strongly believe in personal choice and the right not to wear gear.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #75
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Last time I rode a Harley, someone told me that the whole jacket and helmet thing didnt look right on a Harley. I felt like throwing him face first into the asphalt to get the point across why I wear the gear.

But I strongly believe in personal choice and the right not to wear gear.
I was riding my stepdad's cruiser for the first time, just checking out the feel. Cought a few snickers from the HD guys with their magical bandannas, while I was rocking a full face, sidi boots, and jacket haha.

So the guys not rocking gear seem to find us funny just like I find undergeared people amusing. So I guess we're equal
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #76
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i45stunnaz View Post

Ask some one who stunts how many times they fell learning then think about that post. With them pow pows you got....

Fiya power...........
Who is that squid chasin BP in your avatar?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #77
ILowNslowI
R1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R1

Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #78
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
You got your head and hands protected. And you probably didn't do anything crazy, so I don't see any problem with that. My mesh vents pretty good so I make it a habit to wear but if that's what you're comfortable in, fine. Stop threadjacking. I clearly stated my intentions in the first post, if you had nothing to add, shut up already.

mind your own business and stop whoring the thread.
you are right. my point is you were being unsfae on the road taking pictures while driving.

gear is good but i doubt someone who is already gearless would buy into the advice when we are taking pictures of "squids" while driving. that right there is distracted driving and it makes the road unsafe for everyone.

because when it comes down to it, you turned your attention from the road to you cellphone or camera and then to that biker to take that picture. thats a few seconds you could have missed something like another biker or a sudden braaking in front of you or even another distracted driver swerving into you and you are not able to avoid it because you are taking pictures.

be safe to preach safe
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #79
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I love the squid threads. Someone poss up funny pictures of some dumb wearing little more than shorts and a tank top and there is ALWAYS that one person that takes it personally for some weird reason and gets really offended and pretty much up the thread, but ironically makes it more interesting by stirring up. I get a laugh of it all.

I like seeing squid pics and making fun of them, personally. I dont see what the big deal is. I think the people that get all hurt are the ones that ride with no gear and they take it as a personal attack on themselves.

I, myself, could not give two if no one wore gear.

Please post more pics.
Times 100 million.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #80
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

i45stunnaz = squid....
Im really happy for you and Im going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
Closed Thread

Advertisement