MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Parents Cannot Sign Binding Liability Waivers For Kids Who Race

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Florida Supreme Court: Parents Cannot Sign Binding Liability Waivers For Kids Who Race
Dec 29, 2008
Ruling endangers participation by minors in all forms of motorsports, from pocketbike and mini racing on up...

Parents cannot waive the right of a child injured in a commercial event to file lawsuits, the Florida Supreme Court ruled earlier this month.

The ruling may have a significant impact on AMA Pro Racing, particularly its new SuperSport class, which is designed to feature riders as young as 16 years old, when the series comes to Daytona. For most purposes, Florida law defines children as anyone under 18.

The December 11 ruling stems from a May 10, 2003 accident involving a 14-year-old boy who was killed while jumping an ATV at an off-road motorsports park. The child’s father had signed a “release and waiver of liability, assumption of risk, and indemnity agreement,” according to the ruling. However a representative of the child’s estate stepped forward and filed a lawsuit for wrongful death against the park’s operators.

A majority of the Florida Supreme Court justices said, in ruling that the lawsuit could go forward, that the waiver signed by the father is “unenforceable.”

“We hold that a pre-injury release executed by a parent on behalf of a minor child is unenforceable against the minor or the minor’s estate in a tort action arising from injuries resulting from participation in a commercial activity,” the majority opinion states. “It cannot be presumed that a parent who has decided to voluntarily risk a minor child’s physical well-being is acting in the child’s best interest.

“Furthermore, we find that there is injustice when a parent agrees to waive the tort claims of a minor child and deprive the child of the right to legal relief when the child is injured as a result of another party’s negligence. When a parent executes such a release and a child is injured, the provider of the activity escapes liability while the parent is left to deal with the financial burden of an injured child. If the parent cannot afford to bear that burden, the parties who suffer are the child, other family members, and the people of the State who will be called on to bear that financial burden. Therefore, when a parent decides to execute a pre-injury release on behalf of a minor child, the parent is not protecting the welfare of the child, but is instead protecting the interests of the activity provider.”

AMA Pro Racing officials did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment on the ruling. But Henry DeGouw, operator of CCS Florida, says that the ruling could have a wide-ranging impact on motorcycle racing of all types in the state – and impact non-racing activities as well.

“I don’t know how sweeping that is. At this point, I don’t know,” DeGouw told Roadracing World.

CCS Florida allows riders as young as 12, and 16-year-old riders with a Pro license can race 600cc and even 1000cc machines.

“I know this is being looked at (by CCS),” DeGouw says. “It’s not going to affect us immediately, but as to how this all comes out, this would affect Daytona, and any track in Florida. It all depends – this could affect football, anything where parents can sign a waiver.”

The potentially wide sweep of the ruling drew the attention of dissenting Justice Charles Wells, who wrote:

“Without the ability to execute pre-injury releases, a parent may find that his or her minor child will not be able to participate in activities because the operators of the activities will not accept the financial exposure of the minor’s participation, regardless of whether the parent would decide that the benefit to the minor outweighed the risk of injury.

“I believe that it is fundamentally unfair to now declare a new public policy and then apply it to the defendants in this case. … The importance of this issue cannot be overstated because it affects so many youth activities and involves so much monetary exposure.”

The American Motorcyclist Association says the impact of the ruling may be to reduce or eliminate youth motorsports activities in Florida.

"The real issue here is the potential effect on the availability and pricing of liability insurance for activities in Florida involving minors," says Pete terHorst, AMA spokesperson.

"If insurance carriers start to incur greater losses for claims involving minors, these carriers may impose restrictions on activities involving minors, significantly raise premiums, or pull out of the market completely. This is one of the risk factors that the AMA must consider every year as it develops its programs and rules."
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d.../sc07-1739.pdf
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
parents, tell kids? no? RACER X Off Topic 25 12-15-2012 08:31 AM
Dear Parents...(email from kids school) Ulric Off Topic 24 10-21-2010 05:39 PM
parents w/ kids in daycare? RACER X Off Topic 24 07-12-2007 03:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Simply amazing. This frustrates me to no end. Our kid are fatter than fvck from playing too many video games as it. Now, no one is going to want to host youth activities of ANY kind because they're liable for anything that happens to the kids.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

+1
Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Simply amazing. This frustrates me to no end. Our kid are fatter than fvck from playing too many video games as it. Now, no one is going to want to host youth activities of ANY kind because they're liable for anything that happens to the kids.
Yep. I've already sent this to DPS for legal counsel. If this can be considered a precedent and affect us in ANY way, we will no longer offer the BRC or ERC to minors.

I hate the thought, but we have to protect the company first.

Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Frucked up... POS, stupid people....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Trackdays: 3

I believe that is the case in texas; hence why you cannot skydive if you are under 18 due to minors not being able to enter a legaly binding waiver and parents not being able to sign away somebody else's rights.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

I'd like to read what MacMan or other LSTD guys have to write. I know their waiver requires a parent or guardian to sign before someone under 18 can do a track day.

If Florida high school sports, particularly football, are affected the state legislature will quickly step in.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

It's not fvckin idiots its fvckin lawyers. Nothing to do with law all to do with another avenue for 30%. B&stards.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
forbid event organizers make things safe for kids. or anyone for that matter.

accidents happen, that is one thing imo, but if its caused by negligence and it could have been prevented that is different.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
pwned

Bike(s):
07 gixxer 750

this is the future activites

2wrj38o
pwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Trackdays: 3

those are the current activities allready...

that is for anyone who wants a 100% guarantee that I wont be hurt, and will enjoy this no matter what, and if its not evertything that I dreamed (cuz knows that I have never had to deal with dissapointment in my life), then I will sue your and make sure that nobody has to suffer either.

Ohh and once I realize that your safe activity deprived me of excersice that I would've gotten otherwise and you didn't try to convince me hard enough then I will sue you for making me fat!

yup that sounds about right...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
pwned

Bike(s):
07 gixxer 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypunk View Post
those are the current activities allready...

that is for anyone who wants a 100% guarantee that I wont be hurt, and will enjoy this no matter what, and if its not evertything that I dreamed (cuz knows that I have never had to deal with dissapointment in my life), then I will sue your and make sure that nobody has to suffer either.

Ohh and once I realize that your safe activity deprived me of excersice that I would've gotten otherwise and you didn't try to convince me hard enough then I will sue you for making me fat!

yup that sounds about right...
yea...sad as it is.... what happen to being outside from sunset to sundown am glad i got to go through those days
pwned is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement