MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Brake questions

I have a couple of questions guys. The last time that I really worked on a bike, the technology was NOT what it is today.........

1. I just installed new EBC Pro-Lite Wave rotors on the front. I had some new Galfer pads that I was holding onto until I got the new rotors. Do you see a problem with mating Galfer pads to EBC rotors? I never really thought about it before, but the EBC documentation states that if you use any other pad besides EBC, the warranty is voided. Is it really that big a deal? I know the manufacturer will always want you to use their stuff, but do I really need to go out and buy a new set of pads again?

2. I have read the instructions on break-in. I just got my new EBC Pro-Lite Wave REAR rotor this morning. Would you suggest breaking in ALL of the brakes at one time, or breaking in the fronts first, THEN installing the rear and breaking it in? I don't really see how I can follow the manufacturer's instructions for break-in if I have all new rotors and pads installed at the same time. It would seem that I would want to use the old rotor/pad setup while I still have it on the rear to do most of the front brake break-in until the new pads on the front are burned in properly. Am I wrong?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Spectre5922; 03-26-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Spectre5922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
questions? jevans1000 How To's and Q & A's 0 07-31-2011 05:52 AM
Questions wiayeman Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 6 03-08-2010 08:52 AM
Questions..... 100f General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-13-2008 09:58 AM
Questions Gideon Performance and Modifications 13 04-18-2007 01:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If a basketball is built to the specs of the hoop it will fit no matter who produced the ball.

They say that so any and all problems they have they can weed out the concerns unless the fault falls directly on their shoulders.

It should work just fine.

I rarely replace rear brakes but I'd recommend braking in one then the other so you have some control.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

If a basketball is built to the specs of the hoop it will fit no matter who produced the ball.

That's what I thought, but the brakes on newer bikes are much more technical as far as compounds, etc. than they were when I was wrenching, so I wanted to make sure.

They say that so any and all problems they have they can weed out the concerns unless the fault falls directly on their shoulders.

It should work just fine.
I figured that was the case. Thanks.

I rarely replace rear brakes but I'd recommend braking in one then the other so you have some control.

The rear rotor is really chewed up, so I figured as long as I was putting some new waves on the front, I might as well do them all. Besides...... The new rotors are SOOOO PUUURDY!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the bike due to family commitments until lately. Princess came over and helped me bleed them after installing the new rotors. They were dragging REALLY bad! I swapped out the Galfer pads for EBC (for the sake of the warranty), pulled the calipers, pulled the pistons and found that they had developed a crusty ridge at the edge from being so far out of the calipers for so long with the old rotors/pads. I used some 2000 grit and lightly wet sanded them until they were nice and shiny with no ridges, then reassembled everything tonight and spent an HOUR bleeding them! Yes, you CAN bleed them the old fashioned way with no help, but IT AIN'T EASY! I'm going to spend the next few days breaking in the new rotors and pads on the front before I start the whole process over with the new rear rotor and pads. This thing ought to stop on a DIME now! It doesn't hurt that the wave rotors are SUPER PURDY either!

Advertisement