MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
memonmz

Feedback Rating: (0)

Just bought a bike..need some gear

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 07 Ninja 650R two days ago and need to get some gear..i'm a first time rider (bike is not going to leave my neighborhood till I can take the MSF in a few weeks) so i'm very lost on what I should be getting/looking for..

From what friends have told me my essentials should be helmet, jacket, and gloves.
  • What brands should I look for and what should I stay away from?
  • Any specific shops people would recommend to try on or get the best deal on jackets and helmets? I live on the Southwest part of town (Sugar Land) and work in downtown
  • What are the most important things to consider when trying on/looking at these diff items?

I just want to make sure i'm being as safe as possible on the roads, so thanks in advanced for any advice.
memonmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought a bike Jaynvius1 Team Mancuso Powersports SOUTHWEST 0 02-08-2014 06:58 PM
Just bought my first bike Jetkillr Off Topic 5 08-16-2011 07:56 AM
Bought a bike CBRBuron General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-14-2009 09:34 AM
I just bought a bike!! hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 07-28-2009 10:28 AM
So's I bought another bike ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 08-01-2006 09:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

99 zx9

look in the for sale gear section, good luck
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
LynxRyder
n00b

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lynx)
2000 Fiddy (Mini Lynx)

Don't forget the boots, just as important.

With helmets, as long as they're DOT/SNELL approved you're good. The difference in price comes down to weight, comfort, and style. look to spend between 100-200 for a decent helmet.

Try on the gear first, jacket sleeves should come down to about the base of your thumb with your arms at the sides so that they don't ride up when you reach for the bars. Gloves should well... fit like a glove . Helmet shouldn't wiggle on your head when you shake it.

Look in the for sale gear section to find good deals on used equipment.
LynxRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Did you buy the 650R from a girl? Just wondering if my ex sold her's yet

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Cycle Gear on Bellaire and 59 is your closest bet. They have lots of gear in stock for you to try on. Also check their Shift riding boots. Pretty comfy and once you get used to riding with them on, riding without them feels naked.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

I've got a MotoGP textile jacket XL you can have. Decent shape and will probably last a few more years. You gotta come get it though and I'm south of Houston about 30 mins.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Alpinestars or Dainese are top quality!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

BOOTS! Don't forget the boots, and kneepads.

Get what brand/style fits YOU best. Try on lots of brands and styles, then decide on what you like. Buy from a sponsor (they give discounts), like Motorcycles Unlimited. Plus, they have a policy that if you order something and it doesn't fit, you don't have to buy it. Sometimes if you find something you really like, you can find it cheaper online at
www.bikebandit.com
www.motorcycle-superstore.com
Some offer free shipping if you spend enough $$. Shop around and get what you want.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
dont go spending ridiculous amount of money on gear.

try on stuff that fits and and protects just like you'll do with a condom (i know) and get it.

i juust got the joe rocket phoenix 5 mesh jacket and glove for under 200

the jacket has a waterproof liner which i got to test the day i bought it in the rain. worked perfect. and when its hot, you can take off the liner and you'll be as cool as wearing a T-shirt.

yet you'll still have the elbow and back amor in the jacket for your protection.

for a helmet, 2 wheel toys, a vendor on here has the HJC CL15 helmets for sale for 60 bucks each new. you vant beat that. i'm going to go pick one or 2 up just because.

i've seen jackets with MSRP of 1200 but in my opinion, for the most part with jackets, we pay for brandnames.

2 wheel toys is on spencer highway.

i have no info on boots or kneepads cos i ride with leather shoes and snickers as i commute with my bike to school and walking in riding boots or full suit is not an option
viper3ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Keep in mind that most of your questions will be answered during your MSF class and (if you take it from us) you're going to get a BUTTLOAD of coupons that are good for your gear.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
memonmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Keep in mind that most of your questions will be answered during your MSF class and (if you take it from us) you're going to get a BUTTLOAD of coupons that are good for your gear.
I am planning on taking the MSF in May or so, gotta finish up my first part of CPA b4 taking the weekend away from studying..how quick do you guys book up?

To everyone else, thanks for the advice so far! Please keep it coming, especially specific brands to look out for.
memonmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

-Brands loyalty is really big to some and not a big deal to others. I would say go into shops and see what fits you and is the most comfortable. Once you've done that start researching if there are known problems as well as if you can find great deals for the same stuff online.
-I would say as for local shops to be able to try stuff on is Stubbs or Cycle Gear for the largest selection.
-Helmet should fit snug (basically feel almost too tight at first as it will loosen w/time). Jacket & gloves are the same, just be sure you have range of motion w/your jacket. Be sure to invest in some knee armor (I speak from experience) b/c it's worth the nominal cost to protect your knees! Oh and get some riding boots w/ankle protection as well.

Like Challen said, all of your questions will be answered in MSF (I took it w/him and would recommend it to anyone! )

BTW, good luck on not riding your bike for at least 2 months as you said you plan to do
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Helmet, Jacket, Boots, Gloves AND knee pads. Give Motorcycles Unlimited a call. You get an MH discount and they guarantee fit.

And after your MSF and a few street miles, the best thing you can do to save your , is a track day.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

I have several used L helmets for sale, dirt cheap too. PM me if interested.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by memonmz View Post
.how quick do you guys book up?
In May we fill up 2-3 weeks in advance.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
dont go spending ridiculous amount of money on gear.

try on stuff that fits and and protects just like you'll do with a condom (i know) and get it.

i juust got the joe rocket phoenix 5 mesh jacket and glove for under 200

the jacket has a waterproof liner which i got to test the day i bought it in the rain. worked perfect. and when its hot, you can take off the liner and you'll be as cool as wearing a T-shirt.

yet you'll still have the elbow and back amor in the jacket for your protection.

for a helmet, 2 wheel toys, a vendor on here has the HJC CL15 helmets for sale for 60 bucks each new. you vant beat that. i'm going to go pick one or 2 up just because.

i've seen jackets with MSRP of 1200 but in my opinion, for the most part with jackets, we pay for brandnames.

2 wheel toys is on spencer highway.

i have no info on boots or kneepads cos i ride with leather shoes and snickers as i commute with my bike to school and walking in riding boots or full suit is not an option
here's some advice, don't listen to this idiot.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement