MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
C-MONEY

Feedback Rating: (0)

SHIFTING?

still pretty new to the track-- burned up my first transmission- just wanna know from the experienced or anybody that thinks they got it down- how are you shifting- cause im just gonna keep riding the same unless someone opens my eyes :confused2
C-MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quick shifter up shifting and down shifting? ShadowHHR1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-09-2011 06:50 PM
Clutchless shifting. DrHouse General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 09-27-2011 11:20 PM
shifting sbiker21 General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 02-05-2009 12:17 PM
Moto GP Shifting vs. Street Bike Shifting AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-27-2008 10:39 AM
Faulty Shifting j_blevins75 How To's and Q & A's 8 11-04-2007 09:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i'm pretty sure that you are not 100% at fault. these tranny's are notorious for having such problems.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

only problem im having is down shifting too late and that causes that back wheel to bounce and sway.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
zixx6r

My goal is to downshift like dani pedrosa. That dude, . I have watched the onboard video and when he downshifts 6 to 2 it sounds like a machine gun, blipping every time in rapid succession. I've watched a lot of the onboard video on dorna and he is IMO the best downshifter in motoGP as far as smoothness and technique.

Downshifting takes a lot of practice for sure. I talked to a guy who has won a lot of endurance races and ridden all his life and I asked him if he brakes and blips the throttle at the same time. I was surprised to find out that he didnt really have an answer. He told me he tried keith code's technique but he was so used to matching revs differently he couldnt pick it up. I would suggest picking up keith code's book twist of the wrist and learning from that.

The way I downshift is clutch in, close throttle slightly, click one down, and open throttle as the clutch is released. Essentially rev matching, not blipping. I can do this like a machine, up and down through the gearbox with no wheel hop, wheelies, drive lash, etc. The prob is...if you are on the track, a lot of times you have to brake at the same time. That's what crosses me up so I usually downshift first and brake last, which means I'm engine braking...and thus losing time.

I'm trying to learn Nicky Hayden's method of squeezing the front brake with 1 or two fingers while blipping the throttle with his palm. I've seen him do that on motoGP vids, but I havent been able to comfortably do it. Work in progress.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
only problem im having is down shifting too late and that causes that back wheel to bounce and sway.
That wheel hop is due to downshifting too early. A slipper clutch would help but you could just brake harder first the downshift later. You have to find that fine line. If you are doing this wheel hop thing, you are probably not trusting the front tire and the brakes. I find it to be psychological. You could be entering the corners too hot as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd

i have the same problem, easing the clutch out with the right rpm fixed it
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
I'm trying to learn Nicky Hayden's method of squeezing the front brake with 1 or two fingers while blipping the throttle with his palm. I've seen him do that on motoGP vids, but I havent been able to comfortably do it.
this is the method i use... u should try some pazzo shorties...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
Red

Member Garage

I'm no racer nor am I trying to undermind anyones knowledge on this site but do you have your shifter set in a correct easy and comfortable position to make clean shifts when doing track time. I had some issues with getting my shifter in a position going from my street gear to my track gear and it caused me to mis shifts going up from time to time. Miss shift and or banging it in just a little late can make bad for trannys fast.
Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx
That wheel hop is due to downshifting too early. A slipper clutch would help but you could just brake harder first the downshift later. You have to find that fine line. If you are doing this wheel hop thing, you are probably not trusting the front tire and the brakes. I find it to be psychological. You could be entering the corners too hot as well.

the reason this i do this is becasue coming out of a turn i want to be in a low gear (2 or 3) with a more torque to catapolt me. that caused me to high side in T3 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on street tires.

ive gotten use to it already but i need to work on matching the revs with the gear when downshifting. my year 636 didnt come with a slipper clutch. more seat time will help.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Miss shift and or banging it in just a little late can make bad for trannys fast.
Just a thought.
I hear you, I'm no pro either whatsoever but the topic is good...because most people are self-taught and that can be a bad thing because you get set in your ways doing usually the wrong thing. It's good to talk about it.

When I first started riding I told someone how I was banging through the gearbox. He basically told me that banging on it suggests you are shifting too hard and abusing the trans, and that's not a habit you want to be in. If you watch the pros feet, they are just nudging it into gear. Putting a little pressure on it before shifting up or down helps.

Thanks FZ1 for the tip! I still have my bent OEM's...new brake handle will be my next purchase, along with rearsets!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
BigC
AKA Big Daddy

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
88"HURRICANE 1000 ( crashed ) / 98"Z-71 1500 4x4 / 06" Nissan Sentra Spec - V 6 Speed / ZX-7 Ninja

I'll learn how to speak french one day.........LOL We We masure?.......Not for real, hearing you all speak and talk like this makes me a better rider for real.....
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Blipping the throttle is someting that must be done to minimize or eliminte the rear wheel chatter problem on the entry of a turn. For anyone that doesn't know what happens during that type of chatter, the tire/wheel and engine simply aren't at "matched" rpms. When you disengage the clutch the revs drop down as you can imagine, but nevertheless the wheel keeps turning at whatever angular velocity it was moving at. When you downshift and engage the clutch the rpms spike up trying to match the tire spin and this causes the rear to "chatter" since in a way it's locking up the tire a bit tryin to match its rpms. :BangHead:

When I first started riding I didn't bleep the throttle and as I got faster I began to get chatter obviously. Not that I wasn't fine with my rear tire sliding around, I actually thought it was kinda cool :icon_smil , it but I know its simply not the right way to go about downshifting smoothly with high rate of speed. I therefore began doing this blipping business.

I get to a turn and I get a big part of my braking done first and the remainder I do it while Im downshifting. The chassis gets really upset when not done somewhat smoothly and you can have a crash from loading up the front end too much. As im finishing my hard braking, I ease up on the brakes a bit and depress the clutch and while downshifting, I simultanoeusly blip the throttle with my palm/wrist (since obviously my fingers are still on the brakes). I then let go of the clutch rather quickly (fast but not dumping it) and im now in the next gear down. I can then stay on the brakes trail braking through the corner or repeat the downshifting if Im tryin to go down another gear. I know it sounds like a lot but it all happens so fast.

If anything just practice it at home just sitting on the bike with it in neutral
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
This might help some of yall

Article
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i know about blipping the throttle to match rves i just never had the need to do it until now, since i want to brake later when going into a turn and just go faster overall.

i need more seat time to practice that.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
speedismo
OCD for speed

u dont really need to be on track to practice this, nor u need corners, INITIALLY.
while coming to red light or STOP sign on the street, brake and downshift together, whil blipping throttle. thats half a practice, because u will probably not engage clutch, so u leave out the 'matching RPMs' part.

next while just doing normal street riding, blip the throttle and downshift randomly. wat u want to do is ensure that after u hv let ur clutch out fully (means engaged), the RPMs shuld not get a spike. this is second half of the traning done, whereby u blip and match RPMs, but do not brake.
both taken together, r a good enough practice,and safe, without having the need to take it to track, or do so in corners. once u r comfy doing this, then u can start doing it on corners in the track. job accomplished with much less track time needed.

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I downshift and brake at the same time. Match them and the bike will stay settled and dive into the turn easy. Adjusting your levers for a more aggressive track oriented riding position could help as well. Want to really figure out how to blip the throttle shift with out the clutch. You will definetly figure it out that way.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #17
zixx6r

http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/port...opDefault.aspx

Sorry to dig this thread back up but I found an old australian bike article that I had bookmarked and forgotten about, might be helpful to a few you's.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #18
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Ask for help while you are at the track. Best place in the world for track advice.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Come see me at the next Longhorn track day, I've got the fool proof, beginners downshifting gig, and we can have you shifting like a veteran at the end of the day. You will eventually have to learn to brake and blip at the same time. Even with the slipper clutches you will find the chassis is more stable with a blip thrown into the mix. Slipper isn't the total anser,and remember to change your oil VERY frequently if you have a slipper as each time it engauges you are wearing the ramps, and all those little bits gotta go somewhere.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #20
Riddler
LONGHORNMOTORCYCLESCHOOL

Bike(s):
YOUR MOM
YOUR SISTER

Buck I'll take you up on that downshifting gig on the 24th. My old VFR sure would appreciate me learning how to shift better.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement