MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
My 2nd hare scramble event report...

Long read....cliff notes @ bottom as usual. No pics this time. Sorry.

Where to start? Left Houston Saturday afternoon while it was pouring cats and dogs with the thought in the back of my mind that I was driving all the way up to Centerville (Middleton) for nothing in fear that it would be rained out. Showed up around 3:00 or so and a couple of guys swarmed me as I got out of my truck asking if I was there to race on Sat? One of these guys was Robert Marsh (ol' Racer997 may know this cat from racing in the mid 90's with the CMRA....I believe he said he was a 7 time WERA champion as well) and with the very low # of people who turned out they were pushin' me to race. So I agreed. They postponed the race 20 minutes to give me time to suit up. I raced, I crashed, I raced and crashed some more....took third out of three of us....2nd in my class! Oh well, I got to see the course for Sundays race, that was my main concern. It was slicker than Al's and lots of mud....LOTS of mud.

Left my pawpaw's house in Groveton Sunday morning around 6 am....it was fuggin' snowing!!! and cold! Oh well, time to go race! The snow stopped by the time I arrived @ Middleton and I learned they were postponing all races at least an hour to allow the temps to rise some....what a good call. I think it was about 40 degrees when the green flag dropped. Let's back up a second.... I go to unload my bike about an hour before the race and notice a nail sticking out of my front tire. Dang fences...learned my lesson though...sweep the bed of the truck before you load up for an event. Luckily my buddy had an extra tube and the guys beside us loaned us a center stand and sockets to fit the front axle....I got it all changed out, but missed the start of my race by 5 minutes....DAMNIT! Ended up signing up for the 2 hour Open C class race that would start about an hour and a half later. cool, more time to sleep.

Anyhow, the course proved to be a little drier and not quite as slick, but the areas that were muddy started getting VERY deep ruts cut out....@ one point, my bike was buried 18-24 inches in soupy mud. That was an awesome 5 minutes of pure adrenaline getting that bithc out. Anyhow, I finished 2nd in the open C class and completed 4-10 mile balloon loops in just over 2 hours. I tagges a few trees too! I got 4 bruises the sizes of softballs on my left and right shoulders, one on my thigh, and one just below my left nipple. Needless to say I'm sore. (Thanks CHern for the new chest protector, it got used quite a bit!)

The bike needs some TLC too before the next race....new plastics (I ripped a radiator shroud on a tree and the side panel over the air box got cracked up too), new brake pads for both front and rear ( I saw the pads on the front getting thin, and by race end I was rubbing rotor on the rear) and possibly new rear rotor...also got to get a new chain and sprockets...by the fourth lap, my chain had stretched out so bad I was skipping teeth on the rear sprocket (I had to putt around that fourth lap in hopes of not losing my position or rounding out the teeth so bad that I couldn't finish). All in all it was a great weekend of racing despite the wind and cold temps.

Thanks for reading.

DBuck

Cliffnotes:

raced a 1 hour on Saturday, came in second in my class out of two racers podium finish baby!

raced a 2 hour on Sunday as I missed the 1 hour due to a nail in my front tire (tube) and finished 2nd in my class out of 3 riders.

body is sore as and bike needs about 300 bones worth of parts before my next venture out.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hare scramble race report from this weekend CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 02-18-2014 04:24 PM
Cedar Creek hare scramble 7/20-7/21 CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 12 07-17-2013 04:59 PM
Hare Scramble #4 Report @ Outlaw Trax dbuck Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 35 08-20-2010 08:11 PM
Hare Scramble #3 Report - Shiloh Ridge dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 04-24-2010 07:56 AM
What's this Hare Scramble business DBuck keeps talking about? dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-22-2010 09:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

:wheelie:
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

oh yeah AJ...I left my phone in the truck this time.

I'll say this though to those peeps who endurance race....2 hours in the saddle with no breaks is one of the most physically demanding things I have ever done....I did learn that picking up the bike uses more energy than you think!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Dirtbikes scare me I've crashed and been hurt more times on a dirtbike than I can remember
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
green88notch

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 KTM 300 XC

Send a message via AIM to green88notch
The race was great! It was a little wet and slippery, but I had a great time and only dumped the bike once...so I didn't have as much trouble as Danny. Then again, I only race for 1 hour, so if I had ran longer I would have crashed a lot more I'm sure!

Chris
Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Nice write up, DBuck.

Hey, a couple of us are having cigars on Wednesday. Ping me I'd you'd like to join us and do a little bench racing.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Hmmm...trackdays not looking so expensive when you tally everything up, huh playa? Have to factor in the beating you're taking too. Congrats on your podium finish!
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Hmmm...trackdays not looking so expensive when you tally everything up, huh playa? Have to factor in the beating you're taking too. Congrats on your podium finish!
well, seeing that pads are 15 bucks a set, tubes are 12.99, tires last a whole season, a new chain and sprockets are about $100....

YES, much much cheaper than trackdays....and 3 hours worth of racing cost me 85 bucks. This beating I'm taking only makes me stronger!!!!

Curt, I'll let ya know. I think I may be picking up a pop up Wednesday evening.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
MotoJunkie
Oh man !

Man its a good thing I didnt get to go ! I was stuck on 45 N with a big nail in my rear truck tire.
MotoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

ha ha ha - nails everywhere around you...I picked one up (nail) on a take off I just had put on my bike that was given to me from Dbuck three days ago

and I know it's cheaper, just bustin ya chops mayn
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

I definitely have to do this once.

Nice write-up.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

When i get me another MX bike i'll have to join you guys in one of these races.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
ZoomByU
The whistles go Wooo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
Pink red ryder tricycle

Sounds like alot of fun. The course didn't look too difficult either.
"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
ZoomByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic