Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip
Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Moto2 test ride / review

Mark Cernicky of Cycleworld got some seat time on one of the new machines developed for the new moto2 series that will be replacing the 250cc 2 smokers.

Moto2 test ride / review

The only constant in life is change. My most recent reminder of this was the invitation to ride one of the new four-stroke racebikes built to compete in the new MotoGP2 bing support class, Moto2. So, there I was, on scene in Spain at the sweet new Motorland Aragon circuit to ride American Kenny Noyes' Harris-framed Honda during pre-season testing.
Like anything new, broad speculation and skepticism faces the prototype series. Specs call for identically prepped Honda CBR600RR engines and Dunlop spec tires. Which leaves chassis and suspension2 bing of these new-millennium machines open to interpretation. I haven't spotted any Elf-like center-hub-steering innovations, but this machine is trick enough in its own right.
First impression? I can't remember when, if ever, that I've ridden a bike with chassis potential to truly outperform its engine. But after 20 laps on this Antonio Banderas-sponsored, Jack & Jones-backed bike, I'm convinced this class is going to be all about corner-entrance speed. This is probably why I spent more time waiting than riding: Íhlins suspension techs put in some serious effort working to tune suspension settings front and rear. With everybody getting the same estimated 150 ponies out of the spec 600cc engines, everything will have to be perfect to get competitive lap times.
Twenty laps were enough to determine that this is an incredible bike to ride, able to carve razor lines precisely drawn with ridiculous corner speed. I turned some respectable times, trimming off a tenth per lap there for a while.
On Day Two, unfortunately, I was relegated to spectator duty as my bike was taken apart for spares after a minor incident by Noyes' Spanish teammate. But by the end of the day, both Promo Racing riders lapped the circuit's freezing-cold surface faster than the full-blown superbike2 bing lap record — improving over the previous day's times by some 3.3 seconds.
For me, maybe the long trip to Barcelona was worth it beyond just a great day riding an amazing new bike. Over a late lunch, Kenny's team manager said he was surprised by how comfortable I looked riding "too fast" for what was supposed to be a simple photo shoot and magazine riding impression.
Gee, thanks. How do you ask for an "Indy wildcard ride" in Espanol anyway?! Tough duty. Somebody's got to pull it....
Video with some track footage..
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Box it, or bin it!
Feedback Rating: (0)

2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Cant wait, gonna be some good racing.
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
viva la figa
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Not real excited about the spec bikes over the 250's. Oh well, ready to watch some racing anyway. Thanks for the link.
Moto2 test ride / review
Hitchens is offline   Reply With Quote