MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
bc6140

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 gsxr 600

Member Garage

noob questions/shifting trouble

I'm having a hard time down shifting, when I am slowing down at red lights, it seems like I have to come to a complete stop to go from 5th to 4th to 3rd and so on. I have adjusted the clutch cable to where there is just a little slack, maybe 3/16'' or 1/4'' of play. Oil change- So the engine case says 2200ml, so I fill it till it reads between the lines on the sight glass, and that was about 1800ml. So I warm it up for 3 min, then cool down for 3 min as suggested in the owners manual, was'nt really sure if that was enough, so I added a little bit more oil{just to be on the safe side},then I drove around for a bit and it seemed like it was'nt shifting right, so I got back home, let it cool down a few min, checked the sight glass and it was over full. I removed just enough oil so that it reads between the lines,{back to about 1800ml} then it ran/shifted smooth for about 2-3 months. It still has the same amount of oil in it, so I'm just not sure what the problem is. I don't ride it hard, I don't ride wheelies, I have put almost 20,000 miles on it since I got it new in July of 2008. 2008 GSXR 600
bc6140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Couple of Noob Questions z0sum Taking it to the Track 8 05-22-2013 06:26 PM
Noob questions 01ls1ws6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-13-2012 01:08 PM
Moto GP Shifting vs. Street Bike Shifting AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-27-2008 10:39 AM
noob shifting dadon600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 02-02-2008 06:45 PM
noob oil questions wlgorman General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 09-27-2007 07:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Diderich

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

That's more freeplay than my bike can handle. I set my freeplay to barely perceptible and that's the only way I can hit neutral. Triumphs are special though. But it sounds like you are having a different kind of problem...

What kind of oil?

Any issues getting into neutral or anything like that, or just trouble downshifting when coming to a stop? And then it shifts fine when at a stop? that's backasswards.

I gotta admit, I got nothing on this one. Curious about the answer.
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
^^^as above.

Checking oil w the bike upright? Is it DUE for an oil change? Using motorcycle oil?

Check the shift linkage rod, make sure its not bent and at rest there is freeplay back/forth no binding.

First thing I would do is adjust that clutch lever w the cable so it only has about 4mm of freeplay.

When downshifting you are increasing the torque, so it will be harder to do so when the clutches arent fully disengaging.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

When I down shift when I first got my bike I could down shift all the way down,click,click,click,click now its click, let the clutch out a lil then click repeat then click,click.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
bc6140

Bike(s):
2008 gsxr 600

Member Garage

I'm using suzuki oil 10w40, just like the manual says, yes I check it with the bike upright. as for the freeplay, I'll try and adjust so that there is less play than there is now..but isn't 4mm and 3/16'' pretty much the same? I just changed the oil about 3 months ago, but I would like to take it to Sunny's and let someone who knows what they're doing do it, I know what it costs for a basic oil change + filter, but I'm broke at the moment and when it's simple things like brakes, plugs, oil, I would rather do it myself. Now that I live here,(apts.-H-town) I don't have a place to do the work or the tools to do it with. ^^^(yeah I already know)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Don't know - Not familar with the bike'

Cali has a good point on possible bent shift linkage rod.
Broke mine on a bandit (Bandit is Hydralic so may not be same) when it lost a chain - maybe something hit it.

When you start from a dead stop how far out does the lever go before the clutch starts to grab. Yes Iread you adjusted it. Not sure what the spec is for engagement, but if it is grabbing early it may not be fully disengaging when pulling the lever to shift.

Is all the shift linkage tight, and any bushings in the foot shifter worn, just trying to think of anything that could be adding some free play to the shift linkage system

If it all checks external - then I guess it maybe bike shop time for internal check $$
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

3/16" is almost a quarter inch.

i'd recommend you have just a little play, enough that you can wiggle the handle. If you have a caster adjustment on the lever, adjust it as far forward as possible.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
bc6140

Bike(s):
2008 gsxr 600

Member Garage

clutch lever goes a lil more than half way out before it grabs, nothing is bent, I have had the linkage apart trying to change the front sprocket, I used a marker to draw a line so as to line it back up exactly the way it came off.. could it be clutch springs or friction plates weak or worn out??? I'm just thinking it's improper oil level, 'cause it shifts fine before it gets to normal temp (180ish)...anybody S.E. wanna look at it tomorrow???
Old 03-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

the springs engage the clutch, not disengage.

If it happened after the sprocket work relook at the work performed.

GL.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
bc6140

Bike(s):
2008 gsxr 600

Member Garage

Thanks Cali... I checked the free play and it was way less than that, maybe it was closer to 1/8''.. not sure what you mean ''caster'' is that the adjustment on the lever? It is adjusted almost all the way out.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6140 View Post
Thanks Cali... I checked the free play and it was way less than that, maybe it was closer to 1/8''.. not sure what you mean ''caster'' is that the adjustment on the lever? It is adjusted almost all the way out.

just needs a better rider... grab ur sack and hit that gear down it ain't gonna hurt.. keep doing it like like if its a sensitive girl and ur gonna keep getting that click noise were the gear scraches.. its telling u "shift me with " lmao

Advertisement