MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Dropped your bike at low speed or stopping?
Nope. Never. Been riding 10+ years 11 6.08%
Nope. Never. Been riding 5-10 years 6 3.31%
Nope. Never. Been riding <5 years 24 13.26%
Yep. It happens. Been riding <5 years 69 38.12%
Yep. It happens. Been riding 5-10 years 29 16.02%
Yep. It happens. Been riding 10+ years 42 23.20%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Maybe you should pay more attention to what you're doing??
Check out those poll results. YOU'RE special. He's likely to drop it.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem w/ RPM's dropping to Zero???? RayBusa General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-22-2012 07:56 PM
New Ninja? Triumphs dropping? grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-15-2012 04:21 PM
Dropping a Goldwing FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-05-2012 05:10 PM
Dropping back down to Level 1? Jason_Canuck Ridesmart Motorcycle School 3 10-26-2009 10:28 PM
Dropping The Wife Off At WalMart FastLine Off Topic 13 03-17-2009 12:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
You just need a Piaggio 3 wheeled scooter!
NO! I love my mc! It's going to be super hard now that I have that new M4 slip on, because it sticks out like a bat wing and if I drop the bike on the right side it will be destroyed!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

ok...sidecar, then. put waynie in there with a leather helmet, goggles, and a bow around his neck. Perfect.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I carressed my mean streak down once after realizing the kickstand wasn't down once I was already too far to save it. No real damage, but that was a heavy sucker to pick up. Brandy, how many times has yours been down anyways? You talk as if it is a regular occassion. I don't think everybody drops or wrecks their bikes by any means, I hate that myth. I've wrecked my mx and dirt bikes more times than I care to remember but I expected to eat dirt at least once each day we rode.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #25
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
I carressed my mean streak down once after realizing the kickstand wasn't down once I was already too far to save it. No real damage, but that was a heavy sucker to pick up.

Brandy, how many times has yours been down anyways? You talk as if it is a regular occassion. I don't think everybody drops or wrecks their bikes by any means, I hate that myth. I've wrecked my mx and dirt bikes more times than I care to remember but I expected to eat dirt at least once each day we rode.
I think I dropped it four times. Mostly before I shaved the seat, though. It has been a really long time since I dropped it - now it's been a long time since I've even ridden it at all. I never had any damage from dropping it, though.

We wreck the dirties all the time - it's not really the same thing.

I just think if you expect it, then you won't be as upset when it happens. And I don't think everybody does anything - just saying chances are that it's going to happen- it's better to be prepared (frame sliders/ extra caution/ double-checking that kickstand) for it.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
I'm not sure I get it...Why do you care if I drop my bike? Seriously? Why say something like "He's likely to drop it?" I don't get that attitude? Do you like seeing other people drop their bikes or something because you always drop yours? Just curious?
I don't always drop it! And I already said Wayne doesn't drop bikes, either. I know not everybody will drop it - please see above post.

I am just stating a fact. Most people will drop their bike. Some will drop it multiple times. My biggest factor is that I'm short - so if I misstep, it might go down. I've learned this lesson the hard way and I'm always cautious of where I stop now.

So - it's better to be prepared for a fall, than to think you're above it.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #28
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #29
mammothmc

Quote:
A lot of you guys say that new riders are going to go down but that's just NOT the truth. Sure it happens a lot...but it's not a given. Just because YOU may have gone down doesn't mean that a new rider will.

I'm one of the guys who spends all day repairing those new rider mistakes.

Most new riders will probably have some sort of oops.....whether it is a wreck or just tipping over. For every 1 story like yours I hear a few hundred of the other kind. I had a kid dead set on getting a ducati one time; even after I warned him. Within a week he curbed it & Ducati charged him 3600 for new rims & 840 for a new stator cover. A financial injury can hurt almost as much as a physical one.... both will stop people from owning a bike.

The way I look at it, keeping newbs off of bikes they don't belong on is good for their health & good for the growth of the sport as a whole. If it takes a few wreck stories & scaring them...so be it. I wish somone had done it for me.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #30
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
I'm one of the guys who spends all day repairing those new rider mistakes.

Most new riders will probably have some sort of oops.....whether it is a wreck or just tipping over. For every 1 story like yours I hear a few hundred of the other kind. I had a kid dead set on getting a ducati one time; even after I warned him. Within a week he curbed it & Ducati charged him 3600 for new rims & 840 for a new stator cover. A financial injury can hurt almost as much as a physical one.... both will stop people from owning a bike.

The way I look at it, keeping newbs off of bikes they don't belong on is good for their health & good for the growth of the sport as a whole. If it takes a few wreck stories & scaring them...so be it. I wish somone had done it for me.
+1
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

After a good 2 hr. motard ride with 2 others, we're all heading to my buddys apt. Well we pull into the complex and i was feeling pepped about the ride we just did and decided to hop the speed bump doing 5mph. Lesson learned...

I could have just gone in between the 2 speed bumps like my friends did, but no... I just didn't want the fun to end.

I hit the bump a little crooked & the bike jerks away from my left hand, so im left riding the bike cocked sideways as if the seat is the right side engine cover with only my right hand on throttle. Now while i was keeping her off the ground like that, i knew it was to low to ever get upright so i just let her spill.

My buddy in front thought it was his newb friend that took a spill... So embarrassing.
But as one said before, "luckily its a motard." Damage is next to nothing with these things.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

I think the first time I "dropped" my first bike was when I landed a jump at ASI. Gawd, that was embarrassing.

Another time, I did accidentally drop it inside the garage. I think I just took it off the rear stand too fast. It's so light, I just misjudged it.

I have almost 1.5 years of riding experience under me, but I expect to be dropping more of my bikes in the future. That's just what 'tards are for.

Last edited by Navajib; 03-17-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #33
Navajib

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaub View Post
But as one said before, "luckily its a motard." Damage is next to nothing with these things.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #34
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

10+ 5 bikes with no drops. (knocking on wood)
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #35
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Unfortunately, I think I have the worst dropping my new bike story. Just bought my zx-6r. First bike. I had ridden my dads cruiser around the neighborhood a few times, so I figured I'd be alright just getting it home and slowly getting used to it. Well, turns out the SS bikes respond a little more than cruisers with lighter imputs. Leaving the dealership parking lot onto the 59 feeder, the bike lurched forward a bit more than I was expecting, which startled me, regained composure, but couldn't stop staring at the curb I was heading for as target fixation pulled me straight in and I dump it 5, maybe 10 mph. Frame slider broke and the fairings got a small scratch, but otherwise was fine. Embarassing as though.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

35 years, no drops yet.

Spectacular dirt bike crashes don't count

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Ive been riding the streets for about 3 years now. I have yet to drop my bike. , my old motard stayed outside in the apartment complex during Ike and never fell over. (i was out of town).

I've had some close calls but i've been fairly lucky so far. Knock on wood.

Now dirt bikes are a whoooole other story haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #38
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I proudly rode my new Harley into the parking lot of the Yamaha shop where I had worked a couple years before. Gonna show it off to a couple buddies that still worked there.
Just as I was coming to a stop, the front tire hit a tiny patch of sandy gravel and locked, just long enough for the front to wash out and dump the bike.
I had been riding for about 14 years at the time, and yes, they all saw it happen.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #39
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

My first bike got dropped three times...once was when my friend was trying to learn on it in my drive way, stalled it and fell over
Another time was when my neighbor came and jumped on the back without me being aware that she was going to jump on, and the bike fell against my garage door frame and dented the tank
The last time was when I was drunk and trying to put the bike up on my brand new T-rex stands and I missed the spool slider so the bike fell over
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #40
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

*knocks on wood*

been riding since 2002 and havent dropped any of my bikes yet. dirtbikes on the other hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement