Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
ssuydam

Feedback Rating: (0)

first bike buying advise

Looking to get my first bike in a month or so. 600. any advise? I hear everything from which brand is the best to just get what looks good, to get what feels good when you sit on it. Any thing I should look out for as a first time buyer? Not sure if I am going new or used at this time. what are the dangers of a salvage title bike? sorry lots of questions any answers are welcome.
ssuydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a new bike Shaunpe Safety Corner Main 5 02-20-2014 09:55 PM
bike buying houstonman27 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-13-2013 03:31 PM
Buying new bike? j_e_hurst General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-24-2013 09:40 AM
When buying a new bike....... Jefe General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-06-2011 04:15 PM
Selling Bike - Advise? makushr1 Off Topic 7 11-16-2010 06:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Any prior experience at all? Dirt or other?

Personally, I'm not a fan of newer 600s for first bikes. Make sure you take the MSF course for your license BEFORE you buy the bike. At the end of your class, talk to your Instructor about suggestions for a first bike. Everyone's learning curves are different, but at least that person will have the advantage of watching you on a bike for two days before giving an opinion.

If you buy used, remember that Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited will do a visual inspection and test ride for free.

Make sure you can flat foot the bike, with a slight bend in your knees.

My .02.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
nactx86

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2013 CRF 450R FOR SALE
06 GSXR 600 Sold
07 DRZ 400 SM Sold

Listen to Challen. For your first bike, I would suggest buying used.. and get someone (Patrick) to look it over for you when you find one that you like. It's a very high chance that the bike will get dropped at some point... so I vote a good condition used one while learning and invest in some safety gear. I might stay away from salvage title until you know more.. (assuming youre new to this)
...Just think how good all women could of been if would have taken a few days to make them.
nactx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
LynxRyder
n00b

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lynx)
2000 Fiddy (Mini Lynx)

Buy used from someone trustworthy (i.e. not craigslist) unless you know what to look for.

Cheap, Reliable, Fast... you can only pick 2
LynxRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post

Personally, I'm not a fan of newer 600s for first bikes. Make sure you take the MSF course for your license BEFORE you buy the bike. At the end of your class, talk to your Instructor about suggestions for a first bike. Everyone's learning curves are different, but at least that person will have the advantage of watching you on a bike for two days before giving an opinion.

If you buy used, remember that Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited will do a visual inspection and test ride for free.

My .02.
There are people who can do that?

I say buy used. You're going to drop it, and you'll feel much better dropping a used bike than a brand new one that you're still paying for. Get insurance quotes, that may help you decide on a bike, too.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Corrosive
Speed Limit Corner Taker

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
03 Buell XB9s & 03 VL-800
2004 Triumph Daytona 600 & 07 Daytona 675- Sold
1992 Honda VFR750 - Sold
2001 Kawasaki ZR-7 - Traded
2001 SV650S - Sold

Send a message via AIM to Corrosive
Look into the basic first bikes...

Suzuki SV650
Kawasaki 650r
Ninja 500 or 250

Also do keep in mind what was said before. I will add... ALWAYS WEAR GEAR!
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

you looking for a commuter (comfort), sport (fast) or what?

what do you want from the bike?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

If you don't have any bike riding experience, read all the RIP threads first.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
ormand
Deelish!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I didn't think I'd drop my 1st bike but I did...and luckily, both times were @ <5mph lol

1) Wafflehouse Parking lot in Austin (broke my mirror, scratched fairings lightly)
2) At Bubba's Burger M&G, I was backing the bike up on grass to goto ASI and lost my footing...luckily the grass was soft and didnt cause any damage. Several MHers helped me pick it up...very embarassing! The bike wasn't even turned on yet. haha

On a side note, another embarassing moment: I was with a few friends @ Nasa Hooter looking @ the classic cars meet on Saturdays...we get ready to leave and I cant start my bike. Everyone is looking at me and a kid walks up to me and whispers to me, "your kickstand is still down"

My bike was brand new. Personally, if you can, I say buy NEW because you dont want any used-bike problems to get you frustrated/discouraged and you dont want anyone else's problems/bad luck! Atleast thats the way I see it. And like everyone else said, do your MSF @ Awesome Cycles, get full gear and take it slowly. I too wouldnt suggest a 600 for a first bike...I have been riding for 9 months and I am barely getting ready to move up to a 600 or 1000. If you're really light get a 250r. If you're heavier (like me, 260lb), get a 650r.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
ZoomByU
The whistles go Wooo

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
Pink red ryder tricycle

Buy a used naked sv 650, a whole lot of fun and more forgiving than some other bikes.
"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
ZoomByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
My first bike was a 1203 Buell with almost 90HP and 90ft/lbs of torque.

I'm about three years in to riding and have never dropped a bike and never taken MSF. Saying that he's without a doubt going to drop his first bike is ridiculous and frightening to a new rider.

Get what you want man. The top three brands for the 600s are all good bikes. Don't buy salvage and if you buy used (always recommended as a first time buyer...what if you don't like riding??) take a buddy who knows what he's doing or get up to Patrick somehow as the others have said. A free once over is a great service for bike buyers.

Get the gear you can afford too. No use in buying a $600 jacket cause it looks like it will offer better protection, ya know? There are plenty of online retailers and some forum sponsors who can get you great deals on gear. $350 jackets regularly will sell for a hundy if they're last year's stock...no problem with that. Same with helms and gloves.

Good luck finding what you love.
I bet both of your feet touch the ground with a slight bend in the knee, too?

Sometimes mine don't.

Nearly every rider I have met/talked to has dropped their bike. Some not so new. So your three years doesn't really mean much. Ween doesn't drop bikes, either, but he's 6'4" and can flat foot a 450 'tard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomByU View Post
Buy a used naked sv 650, a whole lot of fun and more forgiving than some other bikes.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

I started from a 250. It might have been a better buy if I bought that bandit 400, or it might have lasted longer. 250s are definitely the best bike to learn on. I sold mine for the same price I got it.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
mammothmc

Words to remember:

"Its your first bike & not your last bike"

That is unless you buy something too fast & hurt yourself & never ride again....
A used ninja 250 (pre 08) will almost always be worth what you paid for it when you get ready to move up. Even if you drop it.

A new bike is worth 2500 less once they put oil in it. Subtrack another 3 or 4 grand once you drop it.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Words to remember:

"Its your first bike & not your last bike"

That is unless you buy something too fast & hurt yourself & never ride again....
A used ninja 250 (pre 08) will almost always be worth what you paid for it when you get ready to move up. Even if you drop it.

A new bike is worth 2500 less once they put oil in it. Subtrack another 3 or 4 grand once you drop it.
Bought mine for 1600 (looked like it was used for an MSF course bike) with cracks and scratches everywhere, sold it for the same price.

If you buy one [that looks good with minimal-no cracks] for 1800-2k, im almost 100% sure you will be able to sell it back for the same, if not a little less depending on how much miles you put on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post

My .02.

well said

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

buy used
buy small cc
buy CASH
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
ssuydam

thanks for the insight. i will let everyone know what happens
ssuydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #20
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

you should def heed the advice to buy used and to start on an SV650 or Ninja 250 or something similar. But aside from all that, as there always is another side, I got a used 600 as my first bike and so have many people...but all bikes do need to be respected...I can not stress that enough.

I logged 500 miles in my neighborhood before ever seeing the first traffic signal...took me a month, but that was my way of getting comfortable on the bike.
And yes it got dropped three times...once was when my friend was trying to learn on it in my drive way, stalled it and fell over
Another time was when my neighbor came and jumped on the back without me being aware that she was going to jump on, and the bike fell against my garage door frame and dented the tank
The last time was when I was drunk and trying to put the bike up on my brand new T-rex stands and I missed the spool slider so the bike fell over

All in all...saying you will for sure drop your first bike is not a fair thing to say, but I want to make sure you know it's not saying that you will crash either, it's a process just learning how to maneuver the bike around in the garage and into trucks and on and off stands...it all comes into play.
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement