Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #21
Badzx14r
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my first vid i made back in the day OJ636 Stunters Lounge 8 02-23-2009 08:36 AM
Back in the day... dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-28-2008 09:08 AM
, I hate the first day back...... del240z Off Topic 34 06-07-2007 05:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
bbblitzz

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
M109R
ZX-10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzx14r View Post
yes way .. we use to leave lagrange and catch all 3 and be back before dark around 600 miles..
What time of year did you go...and Lagrange is not going from Houston.

I Did the sisters last year and they can be rough on the bike, rider and equipment...best to find a hotel after the ride and crash for the night.

Can the ride be done....sure...but you may pay a high price for that ride.

Have met many riders that sisters have not been kind to and its a long way from home if you go down.

Rode with a guy that crached in the sisters and was stuck in a SA hospital for 6 months...play it cool with the sisters.
bbblitzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I might be a puss, but we have a house on 39 in Hunt - just miles from the start of the sisters - and even starting from there and riding them throughout the afternoon at a good pace is very tiring. The last thing I would want to do after riding those roads for a few hours is get back on I-10 to Houston.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #24
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #25
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
I agree with Bumblebee. That kind of ride is something to enjoy, even if you're hitting it like the track. If I can purchase another streebike before the summer a buddy is flying down and riding out there with me. Gonna hopefully take 4 days. One day to ride there and hang out, maybe ride around a bit. Days two and three will be all riding...sisters and whatever other roads I map out. Day four will be rest and ride back at a leisurely pace. Hoping to either camp somewhere or find a cheap cheap cheap hotel. If I trailered the bikes out we could just sleep in the van, but I'd rather ride...trailers are for boats. That's the way to do it IMHO.

I guess if you don't have the time off then it's understandable to do it all in a day...
I wouldn't do it in a single day, By the end it'd be unsafe.

I plan on doing it this year in the fall staying in wimberly at the families cabin for free, but I'll be a 4 day ordeal for sure.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Ill do it. I have eye surgery Monday. On Wednesday I want to enjoy st pattys day so I plan on heading out from the woodlands at 12am at night. Stops only for gas and to rehydrate. If your coming make sure your bike is in good working order, you have a screen on a cooler if you have them. I'm bringing a small waterbottle, cash and tire patch kit.

If interested PM me.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Oh and I'll document it w phone pics as usual
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #28
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I don't want to patronize anybody but I gotta say this.

Those roads are fun, the scenery is nice but, the hazards are real. You make a mistake, somebody else makes a mistake that affects you, a deer/turkey/rabbit runs in front of you and your day can turn sour instantly. Some of the turns have 400 ft. drops with no shoulder. If there is a barrier it is made of steel with wood posts.
There are ranch trailers that routinely drop a wheel off the edge of the pavement and throw gravel up on the road.
It generally takes as much as 45 minutes for emergency vehicles to respond. THEN the ride to the hospital can be another 30-45 mins. The nearest emergency rooms are in Uvalde or San Antonio.

I came over a small rise about 70mph and there was a dead deer surrounded by about 10 buzzards in the middle of a big patch of gravel. I couldn't swerve because of the gravel. I was lucky to miss the deer but it's quite a sight to have panicked buzzards trying to fly, swirling all around.
Later that day on a long open straight, we were going about 140 and a turkey ran out in front of my buddy, who was about 15 lengths ahead of me. It was so close I actually flinched, expecting to see an explosion of feathers and plastic.
We got lucky and slowed our pace for the duration. Some guys on Beemer touring rigs weren't so lucky.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #30
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

^^^very good point. Its always smart to ride w someone else, make sure you know where the closest establishments are along the way for gas/first aid and hospital.

Another recommendation I have for long rides is to check is w someone knowing your riding out, and wrap your phone in a small towel, put in a bag and put in the bike, not on you. I carry ICE in each pocket of my jacket. In Cali it was very common for people to wear little gear then get carried away and wreck; cell destroyed and they are too confused to recall a number to call.

I wont ride over 50% when Im outside an couple hour range from home for the simple fact I want to return when the trip is over.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #31
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

If you decide for sure to head that way Weds shoot me a PM before hand... I am going early weds for 3 days.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #32
HouTexRider

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'16 959 Panigale
'13 BMW K1300S

Thanks for the input, particularly the cautionary advice. I would much prefer to tackle this ride at a more leisurely pace but that's not in the cards for now. If such a ride is attempted there would appear to be even less than usual margin for error.
HouTexRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #33
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
If you decide for sure to head that way Weds shoot me a PM before hand... I am going early weds for 3 days.
I am for sure... 12am in the morning
Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #34
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Just thinking of doing it for 2 days is enough for me. I don't think it sounds that enjoyable trying to knock it out in a day.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #35
HoustonRepsol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2013 HD Breakout
09 Honda CBR 1000 Repsol
07 Buell lightning 1200
04 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

I may be in on this I was planning to trek out with the fam on thursday and stay till friday. I'll have to see how it plays out and may go out with you on wednesday night and just stay out there and meet the fam thursday eavning...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #36
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #37
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Could be kinda fun... but would need to leave around 3 or 4 am at the latest to be back in 1 day.

Ideally, you would wanna have the "dark" riding in the beginning, because at the end everyone will be fatigued and night riding wont be very good.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #38
HouTexRider

Bike(s):
'16 959 Panigale
'13 BMW K1300S

I agree - you gotta rest up and start out early. Superslab miles in the dark, put yourself as far out West as you can early and then enjoy the roads. Return via 466, 532, US 90 and FM 1093 and avoid the stress of dealing with 18 wheelers, etc. on the way back.
HouTexRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #39
phoenix

Bike(s):
CBR600rr

Just thought I'd share this with you - my personal reason for not rushing the trip. It's amazing out there and totally worth a long weekend. It's a synopsis of my last sistas ride (no pics tho - so please ignore the references to those):

Viffer'06 came up with a really fun route to the Cabins at Koyote Ranch. All back roads, mostly twisty. He really put alot of thought into it and made it fun - I'm so glad he stepped up to lead.

Brookshire to Fayetteville to Buescher State Park, thru the park and out thru Bastrop State Park.

We took a detour from the route to go to Gruene to have a late lunch at The Gristmill, then continued on and ended up in Luckenbach (population 3) then took the back roads until we ended up on 16 between Kerrville and that really twisty park of the road. Koyote Ranch is just a few miles south of there.

I will definitely stay at Koyote Ranch when I go back. There's not much I can add that you can't find on the website. The "camping" cabins are pretty close to the bath houses - I thought the bath houses had better water pressure than the cabins with amenities anyway. I highly recommend the hot tub after riding all day; and after 10 or so, they turn off the lights and you can even see the milky way if there's a new moon. AND... there was a ramp you could back your truck up to if you wanted to haul your bike in the back of your truck... I scoffed at that idea until I was freezing my a$$ off after dark on the way home. (Tucking kept the cold air down a bit, but the noise is louder that way and left my ears ringing for 2 days.)

The weather was amazing. I don't think I'll go back until the Spring though because it gets a bit cold for me (I have a low tolerance for that sort of thing). As you know, the most challenging road is 337. I could spend the whole weekend riding back and forth that road. There is a photographer who sets up "shop" on that route. In case you haven't seen him before... when you see the txmotofoto.com signs, hit it! There is a nice sweeping curve where you can get good lean, and even though he's shooting from the outside, I've seen some pretty nice shots. We were a little gun shy because the popo stopped us just a few minutes before we got there.... :-(

The motorcycle museum was pretty cool. The guy who owns it is from Australia and he's really into Norton. I asked what he thought about the new Norton Commando - he was pretty excited about the reintro and seemed impressed that I knew something he didn't... hehe. Anyway - the museum is just North of 337 on RR 187. $5/person - I thought it was worth it to keep a guys dream alive.

If you continue N on RR187 then West on Hwy 39, you'll come across Tx Stonehenge and Tx Easter Island. It was a fun stop. (Free will donation)

I wouldn't continue on 39 to 41... pretty boring run... Instead, backtrack back toward Kerrville... that's where the pics of the waterfall, the boot fence and the little alters and sanctuary were taken. Those things actually just caught my eye and I made the guys go back to look at them. I'm not sure a larger group would have had the patience for all the stops we made even though we saw some pretty cool stuff. Just West of Ingram, there is a dam. When the water is high enough to spill over the top, it's a cool place to go dam surfing! (Another reason I carry a bikini in my tail seat!)

Food: Breakfast at Koyote Ranch was $9 buffet... ok, but it lasted all day - we weren't hungry until late afternoon and rode down to Comfort and had early dinner at the Guenther Biergarten - I'll go back there again... (We went to Comfort because I wanted to go to High Cafe, but they closed at 4.) We had breakfast in Leakey on Sunday at the inn (don't remember the name, but it's across the street from the hog pen). It was worth the stop. We didn't eat again until we got back to the Houston area. (I had to stop to thaw out before I got back on the highway for another hour)

Didn't really care for RR470 - there was only one place that could be considered challenging, but mostly because it was such a "sight seeing" road that the one sharp curve kindof snuck up on you. When we went thru there, emergency vehicles had one lane blocked because a cruiser with a passenger had gone down. It was kindof sobering to ride past all the crosses that marked the highway where riders have died. I still get a little sad over that couple that died last spring - they rode with the gixxers and had two young kids.

Canadian had to be back at work on Monday and Viffer'06 and I didn't want him to ride alone, so we departed the Ranch around 3:30 and headed back - followed twisties and stopped at a winery in Sisterdale and ended up in New Braunfels then cut thru to 10 and took the highway home (THAT SUCKED!!!!!)
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #40
crew jones

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
ratty sv6fiddy
XR100R

A guy at my work did this by himself last year. He was on some Harley.
I say its personal preference as to whether or not you can enjoy it in one day.
Me, no way. But, my father is and has been a BMW rider all of his adult life..
...they are a different breed. I say go for it!
crew jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement