MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Brakes - Assistance Please?

Anyone here have a MityVac or something and willing to teach me how to use it? I want to learn how bleed my brakes so I don't always have to take it to a shop to do. Was thinking of buying a Mityvac to do it, but would like some 'schooling' in the process and before I buy the equipment.

Let me know, there is a six pack in it for ya as well to pay you for your troubles...
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roadside Assistance morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-09-2011 04:28 PM
Looking for assistance in Cypress gtdrivr Off Topic 35 11-08-2009 02:42 PM
Bubby needs some assistance Candie Off Topic 18 04-18-2009 05:35 PM
Need photoshop assistance HoustonRealtor Off Topic 8 07-10-2008 04:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

TIP. On the rear bleed at the master before you try to bleed at the caliper. You pump and the crack the the bolt a little to bleed the air. Wet a rag and use it to catch the fluid. After the air is out at the master move to the rear caliper.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

does this help?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Do a search in the threads; I describe a method to bleed/flush w a tube submerged in fluid. No special tools required.

I'd copy and paste but I usually have to write it up every 3wks or so.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Do a search in the threads; I describe a method to bleed/flush w a tube submerged in fluid. No special tools required.

Just a thought but: see if you can pm a moderator and put the words tech tip in the thread. If anyone needs to search for tech articles, they can do a title search for tech tips and get your thread. I wish we had a tech sticky, it would cut down on redundant threads.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:

old skool...but works!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

aquarium tubing stuffed into a coke bottle
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

If you are just wanting to flush the brake system, to get fresh fluid in the caliper etc., the MityVac is handy not really necessary.
If you have air in the system (mushy brake lever) then a MityVac will make the job easier. Again not necessary but useful.
The difference is that you can move a larger volume of fluid more easily with the vac.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:

Is this it? -->
Quote:
My recommendation: use a manual brake bleeding method not vacuum so you can see and control all the possible air in/out of the system:

1)get a clear container(gatorade, whatever) dry it out completely, fill w 1/3 DOT4 or whatever your bike requires.

2)submerge a hose into the fluid, put the other end on the furthest, lease direct caliper from the master. Crack the bleeder just enough so pressure applied to the master via the lever has resistance but does pull to the handle.

3)begin pumping the brakes but do not tighten/loosen the bleeder screw. Everytime you release the lever to pull again, if the system sucks back up, it will pull the fluid that is already in the container you submerged the fluid in. You will be able to see air coming out in bubbles.

Repeat on other caliper.

4)keep an eye on the reservoir up top. If the lever is soft and goes all the way in, w no pressure applied to the front brakes, the level dropped below the master cylinder inlet line when you were working on the bike. If you have a box reservoir, turn the handle bars to the left, put the bike on the side stand and you'll see the trapped air come out of the master cylinder. Air travels to the hightest point of the system. Lever still soft? crack the bangobolt at the 90 degree fitting for the master cylinder w a rag around the fixture to capture fluid while holding pressure on the lever(briefly, to remove trapped air.) If there is still light effort on the lever, the master cylinder may already be damaged.

5)begin the pump/hold/crack bleeder method whilest the tube is still emerged. remember to close the bleeder screw while the system is still underpressure and not after the lever hits the handlebar.

If that sounds like alot of work or confusing, the brakes are more important then the bike accelerating. Consult a sponsor.
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
That's it. lol.

I'll copy it to my computer for easy access later.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Will check it at home... Youtube is blocked at the job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
aquarium tubing stuffed into a coke bottle
What size? or is it all the same size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
If you are just wanting to flush the brake system, to get fresh fluid in the caliper etc., the MityVac is handy not really necessary.
If you have air in the system (mushy brake lever) then a MityVac will make the job easier. Again not necessary but useful.
The difference is that you can move a larger volume of fluid more easily with the vac.
My brake fluid is a nasty brown color and would like to replace it (flush) not remove air in the system (bleed)... so is it best to just gravity bleed it? If so, how long does that take?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
That's it. lol.

I'll copy it to my computer for easy access later.
Steps 1 thru 4 are for testing for a leak, while step #5 is the actual process to flush/bleed, correct?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Going to try this this weekend....

What kind of brake fluid do you guys run in your bikes? I don't know what the shops use, but I have a bottle of Valvoline Dot 3&4 SynPower in the garage and was wondering if i could use that or if I have to go and get Motul RBF 600, or Repsol, etc.?

Let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Use a new bottle of fluid. Once the seal has been broken the fluid can absorb moisture from the air. Moisture in brake fluid can cause 2 potential problems;
It can cause corrosion in the caliper and mastercylinder.
It can, under extreme use, turn to steam and cause the brakes to drag or even lock.

Unless you are a very aggresive/track rider just use regular brake fluid of the spec reccommended by the mfr., i.e. DOT 4 or 5(most likely). Most people probably dont need high zoot racing brake fluid.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA View Post
My brake fluid is a nasty brown color and would like to replace it (flush) not remove air in the system (bleed)... so is it best to just gravity bleed it? If so, how long does that take?
The description is not exactly "gravity" bleeding. What you are doing is squeezing the brake lever to apply pressure to the system, then gently cracking the bleeder, on the caliper, open slightly.
This will cause fluid to be forced from the system into the tube attached to the bleeder. As it comes out, the lever will move towards the handlebar. Before it gets there, close the bleeder, BEFORE you release pressure on the lever. This should be done as the lever is still moving slowly towards the bar. Otherwise, it will suck the fluid you just pushed out, back into the system, along with some air. Keep repeating until you get clear fluid out of the bleeder. You will want to do this slowly, if you get in a hurry, it is easy to get air in which will cause mushy brakes. The fluid should sort of ooze out of the bleeder.
Keep in mind that you are depleting the fluid in the master cylinder. You will want to check it frequently and add fliuid as needed, otherwise when the level gets low you can pump air into the system as you squeeze the lever.

I hope this makes it more clear.
It aint rocket science, just think about how it works, pay attention to what you are doing, have everything ready before you start and take your time. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins or so, but don't be in a rush.
If brake fluid gets on anything painted, clean it immediately, and of course be careful not to get it on the discs or pads.
You'll do fine.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Use a new bottle of fluid. Once the seal has been broken the fluid can absorb moisture from the air. Moisture in brake fluid can cause 2 potential problems;
It can, under extreme use, turn to steam and cause the brakes to drag or even lock.

Unless you are a very aggresive/track rider just use regular brake fluid of the spec reccommended by the mfr., i.e. DOT 4 or 5(most likely). Most people probably dont need high zoot racing brake fluid.
Please note. . .I do not believe DOT 5 brake fluid is compatible with your 2002 braking system. I've been wrong before, so double check that. DOT 5.1 might work, but the system will need to be flushed of all DOT 4 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:

1. Thanks.
2. The bottle of Valvoline DOT 3&4 SynPower, is new and was left over from my car brake job... Just wanted to know if there is difference between this or motorcycle specific brake fluid... it all seems to be the same to me...
3. My bike is DOT 4 recommended... some have done 5.1 on my '02, but I am staying away from DOT 5 as it is silicone and I think I have read it requires some work to prep the bike to accept that... not worth it...

Quick question... I have seen in some guides that after you empty the main cylinder of the old fluid and place the new fluid in, some guides don't replace the master cylinder cap and some do. Is replacing it necessary to start the process? I am assuming that you don't have to replace it if you are using a vacuum (Mity Vac) but will have to replace it if you are going old school route. Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I leave the cap off during the bleeding process.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I leave the cap off during the bleeding process.
I am assuming you do this for both methods? I think I will do it the traditional way until i can get speed bleeders or a Mity Vac.

So leaving the reservoir cap off will still allow the system to pressurize?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #20
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA View Post
I am assuming you do this for both methods? I think I will do it the traditional way until i can get speed bleeders or a Mity Vac.

So leaving the reservoir cap off will still allow the system to pressurize?
Yes. The piston is in the bottom of the reservoir and needs only to be submerged in fluid to work.
Be careful the fluid doesn't slosh out onto the tank or other painted surface.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"