MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #41
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

commuting on the MC rocks, it helps me get out of bed in the morning. got the Versys FOR COMMUTING (50mpg)...just turns out it's also a run bike to ride.

You sweat gallons during the summer and need extra salts, but the winter is do-able even with no "heated/electronic" gear (down to about 38* imo).

All I used is a Joe rocket mesh jacket with the liner and two sweaters under, ski gloves, ski pants ($40 at Academy)....

unless you got to wear a suit to work
urbanXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats wrong? Fastola Off Topic 8 02-08-2013 03:06 PM
whats wrong with her... pwned General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-23-2009 06:05 PM
Whats wrong with this Pic? Somebody1010 Taking it to the Track 36 03-01-2009 01:30 AM
Whats wrong with this picture? Slowkat Off Topic 17 12-17-2008 12:53 PM
so whats the wrong now carlos flores General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-10-2008 03:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #42
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
So, ride the way that makes sense for your situation in life and learn to appreciate others' points of view.
Well stated. I live out of my car it seems like because 5 days a week, I'm going from school to work, work to school in the same day.

The bike is my stress relief. If I rode it all the time, it would defeat MY bike's purpose.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #43
sleepy_sleeper
Genuine Dirty Ole Man

Feedback Rating: (1)

I have thought about getting a one piece textile suit like the old guys on goldwings wear all the time, just for commuting. I will be riding about an hour to UH and I figure one of those one piece suits could be rolled up and put in a bag on the tail section of my bike. Ive been looking at something like this but I dont know how hot it would be in the summer..
h c1p1 black black
sleepy_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #44
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy_sleeper View Post
I have thought about getting a one piece textile suit like the old guys on goldwings wear all the time, just for commuting. I will be riding about an hour to UH and I figure one of those one piece suits could be rolled up and put in a bag on the tail section of my bike. Ive been looking at something like this but I dont know how hot it would be in the summer..
h c1p1 black black
I'd save for an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit...the holy grail of textile MC suits
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #45
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #46
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

hah
i was digging up a link for it while you posted that
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #47
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
My commute is 20 miles of I-10 followed by 15 minutes on 610. Quite possibly the most boring ride one could imagine. That, and I have no shower so I'm sticky and stinky all day.

No thanks!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #48
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Sorry for the thread jack- but all the school commuters...

Which school?

Just curious.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #49
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

When I was going to Architecture School at UH, we had big *ss lockers for our projects. I would commute as much as possible just because I loved riding, no matter commuting or joy riding. I kept all my books there, too, since many of us Arkees practically "lived" there. It was a perfect setup for my helmet and gear (although back then, gear mostly consisted of a helmet, bomber jacket, and work boots). Still, even now, it would still work the same. If any of you have any Architecture friends on campus, maybe you can ask them if you can keep your stuff there? (I know I would offer a fellow rider a part of my locker for that purpose).

I was also the Sports Coordinator for the Filipino Students Assoc., and we had an office in the UC Underground, so I would also keep my stuff there. If you know anyone involved in those student Orgs, or are a part of one, that's another option you can look into. If you're not a part of one, join one... if not for any other reason but just to have a place to keep your sh*t!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #50
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
bikes are a toy, not a necessity. its supposed to be fun and enjoybable.

from a U.S. (or other established countries) I will say yes. but in 3rd world countries, a car is practically a luxury. Had a coworker who was from India, and said it is NOT uncommon for a family up to 6!!! to be seen on a large scooter, or moped!

me, i would say a motorized 2 wheeler is absolute bare bones necessity. i think everyone should have at least one.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #51
thewrx

Member Garage

I ride to work, take a shower, then get dressed.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #52
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post

Which school?

Just curious.
SJC souf gettin my basics on....
mx6er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #53
ducoop

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

I can't ride to work because
1. I carry to much stuff around (contracts, paperwork, stuff im working on at the moment)
2. I drive around all day cold calling businesses and meeting with my current customers. My car is my office.
ducoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #54
ducoop

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
When I was going to Architecture School at UH, we had big *ss lockers for our projects. I would commute as much as possible just because I loved riding, no matter commuting or joy riding. I kept all my books there, too, since many of us Arkees practically "lived" there. It was a perfect setup for my helmet and gear (although back then, gear mostly consisted of a helmet, bomber jacket, and work boots). Still, even now, it would still work the same. If any of you have any Architecture friends on campus, maybe you can ask them if you can keep your stuff there? (I know I would offer a fellow rider a part of my locker for that purpose).

I was also the Sports Coordinator for the Filipino Students Assoc., and we had an office in the UC Underground, so I would also keep my stuff there. If you know anyone involved in those student Orgs, or are a part of one, that's another option you can look into. If you're not a part of one, join one... if not for any other reason but just to have a place to keep your sh*t!
I was chair of Frontier Fiesta my seinor year. I used that office for everything. I would even have study groups in my conference room.
ducoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #55
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

I wear the Fieldshear equivalant to the Aerostich suit if the weather is going to be 70 or below.

It is fully armored and it is nice to undo a couple zippers and step out of it.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #56
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

this is the epic thread on ADV "Best piece of hear you ever bought"

I think Aerostitch 1pc or 2pc Roadcrafter ended up #1

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165301
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #57
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post

Which school?

Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
SJC souf gettin my basics on....
well at least one person answered me......

haha, thanks. I need to find more ppl that go to SHSU main campus
Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #58
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Architecture building also has showers on the 2nd floor. who was the guy who actually lived in there when we were there? Dude had 4 walls around his desk and a couch. I swear he moved in and lived there for a semester or 2. Was it Paul Nicosa?

laguna sig
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #59
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

90% of my mileage is commuting.

I love blasting to work BrrrraaaaAAAAAP POPPOPBRAAAAP and seeing the look of annoyance on the faces of slumbering commuters.

I know a DRZ is an odd choice for a commuter, but I like the way it handles in traffic and I figured when I finally get knocked off it the bike has no expensive plastics to get tore up like a sport bike.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #60
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
bikes are a toy, not a necessity. its supposed to be fun and enjoybable. i ride to work when the weather is right and im in the right mood, otherwise it completely defeats the purpose of owning one. me personally i love nothing more than smoking my cigarettes and drinking my coffee on the way to and from work. however, when weather permits, i just cant resist.
Exactly. I MAY have ridden to work 3 times in the past year. . . . and I don't have to deal with traffic AT ALL. I work in/around the plants in Texas City, so I have to walk around a lot. I'd rather hop in the car to go somewhere and test samples, etc. . . .

I'm more than likely about to only have an occupational license though, so I'll be riding to work a lot more often as it'll be about the only time I can legally ride.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement