MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
chum600

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
If you got em use em. Or borrow them If anything its a confidence booster to have warm tires going onto the track.
Yea I bought Chicken Hawks a while back I have only used them 2 times, I am sure going to put them to use this weekend
chum600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track tires (street tires exempt) Slovy Taking it to the Track 30 03-11-2013 03:37 PM
Question about track tires. plummer Taking it to the Track 72 04-03-2011 07:40 PM
Track day tires question crzy88 Motorcycles Unlimited 12 07-14-2009 10:47 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
WEIRD technical question about tires. Chris24 Off Topic 14 07-16-2006 12:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
chum600

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
My front was getting shredded and my rear wasnt
I am not sure when your tire was shredding on you, but a while back there was a recall on the Front 2CT's.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #23
nactx86

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2013 CRF 450R FOR SALE
06 GSXR 600 Sold
07 DRZ 400 SM Sold

2CT's are good tires, more street oriented. They'll be plenty for your track needs.. drop the pressures and take your first lap easy to get a feel.

I was running Pirelli DCIII's (which I think are comparable to 2CT's) during the track day in my avatar, which I think was my 2nd or 3rd TD and never had an issue.. good grip for a street/track tire. I ran 28/30 cold and no warmers..
...Just think how good all women could of been if would have taken a few days to make them.
nactx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
chum600

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by nactx86 View Post
2CT's are good tires, more street oriented. They'll be plenty for your track needs.. drop the pressures and take your first lap easy to get a feel.

I was running Pirelli DCIII's (which I think are comparable to 2CT's) during the track day in my avatar, which I think was my 2nd or 3rd TD and never had an issue.. good grip for a street/track tire. I ran 28/30 cold and no warmers..
Thanks for the info/advice
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Why do yall run higher temps in the front than the rear??
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
nactx86

Bike(s):
2013 CRF 450R FOR SALE
06 GSXR 600 Sold
07 DRZ 400 SM Sold

Quote:
I run a lil less pressure in my front to get a lil bigger contact patch.. fwiw
...Just think how good all women could of been if would have taken a few days to make them.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #27
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
It will depend on rider feel and preference, but USUALLY we run higher pressures in the front. Front tires are made to flex easier, so if you run too low of pressure, you run the risk of over deflecting the tire. Especially advanced rider, using a lot of trail braking. We always run lower pressures in the rear, because the rear tire us usually made slightly stiffer. It is made that way because typically the rear tire takes most of the abuse during racing or trackdays. So we run lower pressures to maximize contact patch and feel. The best way to help a rear tire last longer, is to keep it from spinning. The more it spins and moves around, the faster it wears.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

The Grand Poobah has spoken
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
nactx86

Bike(s):
2013 CRF 450R FOR SALE
06 GSXR 600 Sold
07 DRZ 400 SM Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
It will depend on rider feel and preference, but USUALLY we run higher pressures in the front. Front tires are made to flex easier, so if you run too low of pressure, you run the risk of over deflecting the tire. Especially advanced rider, using a lot of trail braking. We always run lower pressures in the rear, because the rear tire us usually made slightly stiffer. It is made that way because typically the rear tire takes most of the abuse during racing or trackdays. So we run lower pressures to maximize contact patch and feel. The best way to help a rear tire last longer, is to keep it from spinning. The more it spins and moves around, the faster it wears.

Guess I have it backwards! Always nice to learn.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
All of ya'll that run lower pressure in the front tire.........why? SCRC John always recommends the other way around.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #31
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
bow

Some people may suggest otherwise, but I would stay away from using warmers on street rubber, at least during the afternoon when it's a little warmer out. I tried using warmers one trackday on a BT002RS set. Tires got a little slick in the afternoon, so I took the warmers off and everything went back to normal. John could probably explain in a little more detail. I think it has something to do with the extra oils in street tires, as opposed to actual race rubber. Then again it could have been a little too much pressue in the tires at track temp.

Last edited by RoadracerNC; 03-04-2010 at 03:16 PM.
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Sorry. Double posted.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #33
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
bow

Some people may suggest otherwise, but I would stay away from using warmers on street rubber, at least during the afternoon when it's a little warmer out. I tried using warmers one trackday on a BT002RS set. Tires got a little slick in the afternoon, so I took the warmers off and everything went back to normal. John could probably explain in a little more detail. I think it has something to do with the extra oils in street tires, as opposed to actual race rubber. Then again it could have been a little too much pressue in the tires at track temp.
If I had to guess, as the ambient went up, your "Off the track" temps & pressures went up. If you would have reset your off track pressures to the appropriate numbers, you would have been fine.

Remember guys most warmers are thermostat driven, thus they should not be getting over 170-175 deg F. At that temp, the tires are fine, they are not too hot, nor can you "melt" a tire on a properly functioning set of warmers. Now if your thermostat fails or you have a short in you warmers, thus causing a "hot spot", then all bets are off.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
If I had to guess, as the ambient went up, your "Off the track" temps & pressures went up. If you would have reset your off track pressures to the appropriate numbers, you would have been fine.

Remember guys most warmers are thermostat driven, thus they should not be getting over 170-175 deg F. At that temp, the tires are fine, they are not too hot, nor can you "melt" a tire on a properly functioning set of warmers. Now if your thermostat fails or you have a short in you warmers, thus causing a "hot spot", then all bets are off.
I'm pretty sure I was adjusting the pressure while they were on the warmers. Of course that trackday was a good while ago, sometime early last year so I may not remember too well. I'm usually paranoid when it comes to tire pressure.

I like to think the warmers were good that day because that was the day I rented a set from YOU.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #35
SCRC John

Member Garage

I'm sure the warmers were good too, then

What is important for everyone to remember is, to set your pressures when you come off the track. Warmers are used to set pressures closer to the actual off track pressures, and to use as a tool to limit the variables when it comes to setting tire pressures. Warmers pressures are not the end-all-be-all. Ultimately off the track pressures are what counts.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #36
chum600

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600

The tires held up great! Overall for the first time using the 2CT's I was impressed. They handled great all day! Thanks everyone for the info and advice.

Advertisement