MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Tattoo
Your head isn't that hard

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
R1
Pit bike
Looking for?

mod vs mod

I ordered a few parts. Roth Industries velocity stacks and 16t front sprocket w/ speedo healer. Now I am going to go
get a custom map once the stacks are put on.
The thing bothering me is I don't think I'll notice them if I put the sprocket on at the same time. So should I do the stacks and dyno first to see the difference or just put it all on and don't think twice about it?

Thanks in adv. for any info!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My next mod dudewhrsmybike General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-19-2009 04:34 AM
First mod to Can-Am SPYDER BITE General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 10-12-2009 12:18 PM
New mod! :) Gryphin General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 08-04-2008 10:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Be prepared to see very little with the stacks. The sprocket wont make a difference on the dyno. You can put the gear on after you tune.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Be prepared to see very little with the stacks. The sprocket wont make a difference on the dyno. You can put the gear on after you tune.
Beat me too it.. same as a car.. gear change will prob lose hp on the dyno
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Shinyman

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

You are going 1 down in the front?
Peak horse power maybe you won't notice much of a difference.
Though your overall curve should be effected, as well as delivery of power.
I don't know really how much of a need the tune would be after just doing stacks, since your bike is FI.

I mean I am not saying its not a bad idea not too, just before you do the mods it might be smart to do a base line pull on the same dyno it would be tuned on so you know the % of power gained.
That being because each dyno will read different, even the same dyno can read different on different days based of the overall weather and such.
But the inconsistencies in a dyno can majority be eliminated if you happen to be using the same dyno.

Really all the purpose of a dyno is for is to help aid the tuning process, as a dyno slip is generally just more of a bragging right among people.
If you want to know if you are going to notice a considerable difference between your bikes current set up and after the stacks sprocket and tune then yes, you should.

Hopefully this was helpful.
And to anyone whom feels some of this information is misleading I am sorry.
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I wouldnt tune just for the stacks either.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Tattoo

Bike(s):
R1
Pit bike
Looking for?

Yeah -1 in front, I already have akro slipons y pipe k&n pc 3. I think I want to do the stacks/custom map to see the diff. I will do a base run, I want to see if the stacks are gonna make it feel stronger where its supposed to, then change the gear so I can feel the dif. Does that make sense?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Quite a variety of opinions.... here is another....

Since you are going to re-gear the bike... re-gear it first to establish the baseline. Then do the tune with the stacks. That way as you add more to the bike, you know your baseline.

Of course the counter argument will be that baselines aren't reliable even if you use the same dyno. Differences in temperature and barometric pressure can make 1 or even 2% changes in hp output on a bike with 150 hp. (1.5 to 3 hp). However, I'd still re-gear it first. Don't expect a dramatic change going down one on the front, it was good on my GSXR-1K but it didn't change the way it pulled like I expected.

I'd be interested in BlueWave and ZXAlans opinion on the dyno baseline.

-Curt
Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Shinyman

Bike(s):
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Well with that being said have you really tuned for the other mods you have?
or are you simply running the pc 3 plug and play? or maybe a can tune?
If not then I support the idea to tune after the stacks a bit more.
But I mean all they should really do is smooth out your curve a bit more.

That last bit makes sense, you are going to feel some difference before the gear change, but not enough to really bust your and all.
But after the gear the bike should feel a good bit different, on the dyno it may make you shed a couple horses as I aside and mark did too, but the delivery of your power will be much stronger.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Yeah -1 in front, I already have akro slipons y pipe k&n pc 3. I think I want to do the stacks/custom map to see the diff. I will do a base run, I want to see if the stacks are gonna make it feel stronger where its supposed to, then change the gear so I can feel the dif. Does that make sense?
Ha... sounds a little like my bike. Full akra, k&n, pc3... and a downloaded map. Someday I'll get a tune. Since i use the bike mainly at the track, and I'm still learning to ride fast, I didn't see the need for more HP at this point.

I'm told that a custom map on my bike would probably be worth at least 5% more horsepower. I'd bet you are in the same vicinity.

-Curt
Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Shinyman

Bike(s):
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ha... sounds a little like my bike. Full akra, k&n, pc3... and a downloaded map. Someday I'll get a tune. Since i use the bike mainly at the track, and I'm still learning to ride fast, I didn't see the need for more HP at this point.

I'm told that a custom map on my bike would probably be worth at least 5% more horsepower. I'd bet you are in the same vicinity.

-Curt
Its not only the extra power gain, as well the peace of mind of afr's and the sort.
As well really just fine tuning the bike for what exactly you did.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Tattoo

Bike(s):
R1
Pit bike
Looking for?

I have not tuned it yet that's why i want to, PC site isnt going to have my mods map, the one im using now is euro.

So I should do the gear at the same time so I'm not changing up the setup after the tune?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Shinyman

Bike(s):
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
I have not tuned it yet that's why i want to, PC site isnt going to have my mods map, the one im using now is euro.

So I should do the gear at the same time so I'm not changing up the setup after the tune?
Its up to you really.
It makes a little more sense as Maxgs said to do the gear before hand dyno for baseline and then do stacks then tune.

But either one works really, it all matters if you really care to know if it was money well spent or if you want to document power changes on your bike and all.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyman View Post
Its not only the extra power gain, as well the peace of mind of afr's and the sort.
As well really just fine tuning the bike for what exactly you did.
I had some concern about the air/fuel and pulled the plugs. They looked good. If anything, I think the bike is running pretty fat. It's a little burbly and in the cool evening air, I get the occasional flame out of the exhaust.

What's steered me away from the tune out of the gate is that (a) I didn't need more power, and (b) I was very concerned about changing the power delivery. I had already gone to a quick turn throttle and down one in the front. I didn't want to have a two stroke like power curve coming out of the turns.

This year, though... this year.

-Curt
Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
maxgs

Member Garage

Hey Tattoo, how are you using the bike? Street, track, drag racing... or just normal hooliganism backroads stuff.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I have never cared about a baseline. Its kinda like setting yourself up for a let down after you spent tons on parts. I wouldnt dyno without all the parts I had on the bike.

I should have been on the dyno myself yesterday. It looks like its gonna be next weekend now.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
I have never cared about a baseline. Its kinda like setting yourself up for a let down after you spent tons on parts. I wouldnt dyno without all the parts I had on the bike.

I should have been on the dyno myself yesterday. It looks like its gonna be next weekend now.
So you use the dyno predominately to keep air/fuel in check?

-Curt
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Tattoo

Bike(s):
R1
Pit bike
Looking for?

Its mainly because the stacks haven't arrived yet hopefully today I have the gear and healer all ready. I wanted to to the stacks first to see exactly what you just said "money well spent" but that makes sense to do the gear first so it is the way it's going to be before the tune. Thanks everybody looks like I'm gearing down today and hopefully get tuned by the end of next weekend.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Shinyman

Bike(s):
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Quote:

Orly with who?

Didn't you just get a nitrous kit?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
JOEBUSA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

Quote:

Do it today!
JOEBUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyman View Post
Orly with who?

Didn't you just get a nitrous kit?
Billy at Tejas is going to do it. Yes I just put a kit on it. I was scheduled for 10 AM yesterday. I ran into a nitrous problem. The guy who fills my bottles was out of town racing. I waited till the last min. to fill em and it screwed me.

Advertisement