MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

DR650SE or any heavyweight dual purpose any good on dirt?

Found a fair price on a dr650se, but my concern is it's too heavy compared to middle and lightweight dual purpose bikes. I'm really leaning more towards middleweight bikes, seems to be the best mix between power, on-road and off-road capability. I'm 6'3 185 lbs.
Good first dirt bike 650ninja Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 13 08-02-2013 12:01 AM
good dirt back roads klassik Off Topic 0 03-30-2013 08:13 PM
Nice Dual Purpose Bike Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-04-2010 02:08 PM
Anyone here race heavyweight twins??? Brian f. Taking it to the Track 28 08-19-2009 11:23 AM
What's a Decent Dual Purpose or Motard Bike? Drumboy Off Topic 15 06-28-2006 10:06 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

what type of dirt riding? fireroads and dirtroads with some trailriding will be fun on the big 650. . .tight forest trails and MX riding will not be it's best territory. If you want light, nimble, and "flickable", the 650 won't fill that role very well.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
what type of dirt riding? fireroads and dirtroads with some trailriding will be fun on the big 650. . .tight forest trails and MX riding will not be it's best territory. If you want light, nimble, and "flickable", the 650 won't fill that role very well.
agreed.

Even w/ my Drz, the trails at shnf are a workout. If you don't plan on doing tight/fast single tracks it'd be ok. Dr650 is better on the freeway than the Drz but not by much. Just depends on what your gonna spend the most time on. Light off road, technical trails, or road use.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

I would say mostly dirt roads and trail riding, this would be my first dirtbike, so we'll see. I'm mainly looking for something 250-450cc or so. I'll pass on the dr650 I found, but if I come across a good deal on a big bike like it I'll pick it up and see what I think.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Warpbender
warped and bent

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

I wish I never sold my DR650 and kick myself every day, but it sounds like you need a Yammy WR450 and get a street legal kit for it.
My .02
When in doubt gas it out!

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I see the 650 as more of a touring adventure bike. It will do great on established solid trails, but when you start getting into the sloppy muddy trails or anything will lots of clutch work and legs down its gonna be a little rough. Still though for $600 or whatever he wanted thats a sweet deal and you could always resell it and get your money back. The 26k miles on it is a testament to the reliablity and durability of the dr line. Check out advrider.com for breakdowns and ungodly amounts of info on any adventure / dual sport ever made.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

This is just my opinion but. . .I'd start looking for a Suzuki DRZ 400 that's already tagged and inspected for street use. You can ride around town and on the trails on knobby DOT tires until you save a little $$ and pick up a used set of wheels from a DRZ SM. Once you have the street setup, you have the best of both worlds. . .dirt and street!!! The older Suzuki's(DR 350 i think) that have been mentioned in your threads lately will suffice as well. If you want to find some quality reading material and scope out used bikes I would suggest you sign up at www.supermotojunkie.com and http://www.advrider.com/ Both pages are bursting at the seams with the information your looking for. Be warned, once you go supermoto, it's hard to go back to other motorcycles IMO.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

the ADV folks will tell you to get a KLR
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Get a DRZ. I have a drz400e (street-legalized) and a KLR and while the KLR is a little bit heavier than the DR, they're both huge on tight trails.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Bike(s):
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.

Member Garage

Quote:
This is just my opinion but. . .I'd start looking for a Suzuki DRZ 400 that's already tagged and inspected for street use. You can ride around town and on the trails on knobby DOT tires until you save a little $$ and pick up a used set of wheels from a DRZ SM. Once you have the street setup, you have the best of both worlds. . .dirt and street!!! The older Suzuki's(DR 350 i think) that have been mentioned in your threads lately will suffice as well. If you want to find some quality reading material and scope out used bikes I would suggest you sign up at www.supermotojunkie.com and http://www.advrider.com/ Both pages are bursting at the seams with the information your looking for. Be warned, once you go supermoto, it's hard to go back to other motorcycles IMO.
Good stuff however, DO NOT BUY DRZ400SM WHEELS THINKING YOUR GONNA PUT THEM ON YOUR DRZ400K/E/S & start supermoto riding. Drz400sm wheels have a 310mm front brake rotor, and as far as i know, i dont think anyone makes a 310mm brake caliper adapter bracket. Unless you plan on buying a new 320mm brake rotor and adapter bracket for the drzsm wheels. (if thats even an option)

I would recommend warp 9 as far as wheels go... their brakes and rotors are good for about 6 months then I'd replace the with some quality parts. But as for rims, hubs, & spokes... their great wheels. Plus, their WAY CHEAPER than other sm wheel companies, & its the only wheel company i'm aware of that has a somewhat of an insurance plan w/ detuctable... Supposedly for $60 they will fix what ever is wrong with their wheels. crack a rim... $60, Broken hub...$60. Other wheel companies will tell you your S.O.L.

So either way i guess your in the same boat... but with warp 9 you can buy yourself some time to save for upgraded brakes & rotors.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.

Last edited by PimpDaub; 02-26-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

How did you convert Sergio?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
How did you convert Sergio?
Warp 9...

Motostano.com has a "barebones kit". for like $1200 give or take a few $$$. But it comes with Warp 9 Wheels, Rotors, Sprocket, Tubes, Tires, Caliper adapter, & sm front fender.

For the same price you might be able to find excel/talon sm wheels but with out the rotors/sprocket/tubes/tires/sm fender.

I think i made the right choice.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

thanks for the DRZ info. . .I've never been a huge fan of that bike so I've never done thorough research either. I still think a DRZ400 or XR400 based platform will suit him best. budget friendly and tough as nails
Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Got any pics layin around of you SM? I thought about doin my 350, but its just to much money and I would rather buy a specific built xr600 SM or ktm/aprillia, because I like ridin dirt to much to sacrifice one or the other.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Got any pics layin around of you SM? I thought about doin my 350, but its just to much money and I would rather buy a specific built xr600 SM or ktm/aprillia, because I like ridin dirt to much to sacrifice one or the other.
Wise decision. . .My next bike will be a Husqvarna 610SMR
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Pics i have... just not any with a good camera.

Which sm i have 2...lol
Heres the Dizzer in Dirt Trim...
drzb4tard4
& in Motard Trim...
drztard1

Quote:
Wise decision. . .My next bike will be a Husqvarna 610SMR
nice... They upgraded to 630sm now.

my next sm will be a husky, but i'm leaning more towards the 510 to keep a TRUE tard in the stable. I want something i can still throw around and hooliganize. 610 is more like a 600cc hypermotard.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #17
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know how you're not tired of seeing my threads
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #18
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

I love my DR650. She's a heavy but I love her. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy the 700 big bore kit. I just picked up a DR350 that needs work and I am going to put a 441 kit on it hehe. Can't wait! The DR650 is way too heavy for trails. It's just a fun hooligan bike.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I don't know how you're not tired of seeing my threads
Well, on a forum site ruled by sportbikes its nice to see a few dirt/dual-sport/supermoto threads now and again.

Advertisement