MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I treat them like stop signs. Wait for a clearing and go.
And we all know, we should follow what you do as an example of correct behavior...

Right?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is why you hold your clutch at red lights. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-20-2013 10:05 AM
Bouncing it off the limiter at PP1, red lights and in traffic? cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 80 03-12-2009 03:07 PM
RED lights BrutusTx General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-09-2006 02:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #22
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

I usually will wait for One Revolution of the lights, if nothin then I shut my Bike off, Flash my lights, start the bike back up and wait. If still nothin after another Revolution, I make a right turn then a U-Turn at next safest place to do so

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester View Post
I usually will wait for One Revolution of the lights, if nothin then I shut my Bike off, Flash my lights, start the bike back up and wait. If still nothin after another Revolution, I make a right turn then a U-Turn at next safest place to do so
Another option is to pull out your piece and shoot out the light.

Then you can explain, "Well officer, it wasn't operating, so I treated it as a 4 way stop". No problems that way.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

I rarely have this problem with the 14 for whatever reason............ however it has been my exp. that there are several types of "sensors" at said lights. Both loops and camera. Am i wrong here?
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottnSoul View Post
I rarely have this problem with the 14 for whatever reason............ however it has been my exp. that there are several types of "sensors" at said lights. Both loops and camera. Am i wrong here?
The only thing the cameras sense is your license plate.

Some of the cameras are just recording traffic and can be used in accidents cases, others of course, are "red light" cameras intended to issue you a ticket.
There could be exceptions but generally, magnetic loops are used for operating the lights.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #27
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I am always right.... unless the wife has any say.
lol.

EDIT:
On topic:
There has already been a thread about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #28
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

SN the last pressure activated light I know about was removed about 10 or so years ago, it was at the corner of S Braeswood and Kirby, loud clunk when you went over the switch. The law does require all traffic acuated signals to respond to motorcycles but the guy at the Deer Park office over traffic signals told me that they need to have 50lbs of steel, if they set it lower the nuisance change. I called about several lights, pasadena st augustine@ Redbluff and others some places try to do what the law says others don't

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #30
GsxrRcr369

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
This problem will get better in time. A new law went into effect recently that says that all those type of sensors have to be modified to recognize bikes.
Of course it's TXDOT so it could take a while, even though the deadline has already expired.
Not being a lawyer I can't say for sure but, I would think that would give you a way to fight a redlight ticket and win.
Nope, cant fight it and win. I got pulled over for treating it as a stop sign at the light near my parents house. A cop was sitting down by the school and saw me. As I came up to him he walked over to the road and waved me over. Gave me a warning for running it but when I told him I had sat there for about 10 min and the light never changed he said " yea I was watching you sit there waiting on you to run it." He then told me that if my light dosnt change all i can do is wait for a car to pull up and set it off or make a right on red and find another way to get where I am going. I didnt think about it then but I shoulda asked wtf I do if a car never shows and its one of those "no right turn on red" intersections.
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #31
NeedySV

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV1000K6

Go through the light and make a U-Turn. Most of the lights on my side of town have the motion sensor mounted up on top of the traffic light. People often mistake them for cameras, but they are motion sensors and I have never had a problem tripping that type when I'm on the bike.

Or you could devise a route that uses only right turns???
NeedySV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #32
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
Nope, cant fight it and win. I got pulled over for treating it as a stop sign at the light near my parents house. A cop was sitting down by the school and saw me. As I came up to him he walked over to the road and waved me over. Gave me a warning for running it but when I told him I had sat there for about 10 min and the light never changed he said " yea I was watching you sit there waiting on you to run it." He then told me that if my light dosnt change all i can do is wait for a car to pull up and set it off or make a right on red and find another way to get where I am going. I didnt think about it then but I shoulda asked wtf I do if a car never shows and its one of those "no right turn on red" intersections.
If I understand your story, you didn't have to fight it because it was a warning.
I could be wrong but I think the popo was incorrect when he said all you can do is wait for a car. The law says the signal is supposed to sense your presence, I'm thinking if it doesn't you might be able to win in court.
His suggestion of turning right on red doesn't address what you should do if you are in a left turn lane. That leaves you in the middle of what could be a very busy street. A dangerous place to sit through several cycles of a light.
I would run it and fight it.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #33
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

you are correct i didnt have to fight it was just telling what officer told me. In a left hand turn I wouldnt know what else to do other then run it. I would assume with what your saying the law says, you could use that to fight it. Only thing is you are saying you broke a law because the "signal broke a law". Guess all it comes down to is the cop and judge.
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #34
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFII View Post
I was having a discussion with others on another forum about red lights and motorcycles. Everyone talks about installing strong magnets on their bikes, but I came up with an idea! Someone should patent this! Why not embed the strong magnets in the heel of riding boots?!
I suggest these.

blog2030520 20are20high20heels20too
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 AM   #35
train460
speed junky

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

I would have to beg for the ticket on that one just to take him to court and see what the judge says.

I have to run the light all the time. I just sit and wait a few revolutions, then go when it's clear. don't give a rats about who is watching. i also was told about the light not operating correctly and treat it as a 4 way stop.
I try to place my front wheel on the cuttout area, in the hopes that the front wheel/rotors and engine will set the trigger. sometimes works sometimes not.
have heard of peeps, flicking high/low beams. killing engine and restarting. I guess anything to get a electric signal.
My 02 as usual
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #36
train460
speed junky

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

maybe this?
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #37
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Magnetic boots huh? You would have a nice collection on hardware after every ride. Bolts, nuts, washers, cotter pins, wire, etc...
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #38
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFII View Post
I was having a discussion with others on another forum about red lights and motorcycles. Everyone talks about installing strong magnets on their bikes, but I came up with an idea! Someone should patent this! Why not embed the strong magnets in the heel of riding boots?!
Great idea. You guys could pick up all the nails and screws on the street for me and keep them out of my tires
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #39
WWFII

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
If I understand your story, you didn't have to fight it because it was a warning.
I could be wrong but I think the popo was incorrect when he said all you can do is wait for a car. The law says the signal is supposed to sense your presence, I'm thinking if it doesn't you might be able to win in court.
His suggestion of turning right on red doesn't address what you should do if you are in a left turn lane. That leaves you in the middle of what could be a very busy street. A dangerous place to sit through several cycles of a light.
I would run it and fight it.
I agree. I am not a lawyer, but at this point, it appears the State is not abiding by its own law. So, there is a chance at winning this one in court.
WWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #40
WWFII

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
Magnetic boots huh? You would have a nice collection on hardware after every ride. Bolts, nuts, washers, cotter pins, wire, etc...
True...true...

Those might be bolts from a fellow biker's Harley. Just think, you might have saved him some cash when you return the lossed hardware to him/her.

Last edited by WWFII; 02-22-2010 at 10:56 AM.
WWFII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement