MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
crzy88

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636

Carbon Fiber Helmets

Any reason why some major companies haven't adopted the material into their helmet line (i.e. Arai, Shoei, AGV, Bell, Vemar)? At least brands that I'm aware of. I know Icon just released their carbon line and seems to be the most certified helmet since it meets all standards (too good to be true?) and Joe Rocket has had carbon for awhile. Is it the cost of carbon and the forming process, too difficult to work with it? Any opinions on this?

Thanks
crzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Fiber dontbap()ssy General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-07-2014 01:17 PM
Carbon Fiber Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-31-2012 04:48 PM
Can carbon fiber.... Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 03-18-2009 11:49 PM
CARBON FIBER mike hawk General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-20-2005 03:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
KTM Tommy

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2003 KTM SXC 625
Kona King Kikapu
2005 Trek 2300 triple/ten

Carbon fiber does not stand up to the abuse that fiber glass does.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
crzy88

Bike(s):

they sure don't market that issue. Makes me wonder how the icon carbon is able to go through all world standards (ece, snell, etc)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
If you go on Arai's website they explain why.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
crzy88

Bike(s):

Is this what you're talking about princess? http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=124
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

The problem with carbon fiber is it is too stiff.
Part of the job of a helmets outer shell is to begin to absorb impact energy. The way it should do that is to flex without breaking. That reduces the energy transferred to the foam middle lining.
The foam lining crushes to further absorb energy (thats why helmets should be replaced after a crash... the foam only crushes once) and then what remains is, hopefully absorbed by the cushy foam inner lining (the part you see when you look inside the helmet).
Carbon fiber is so stiff that it transfers virtually all of the impact energy to the foam middle lining. That removes one layer of absorbtion... not good.

Not that anyone asked but Kevlar has problems bonding with the resin, so delamination and shell failure is possible.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy88 View Post
Is this what you're talking about princess? http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=124
That's it. When it comes to helmets, I trust Arai.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
crzy88

Bike(s):

If that's the case with carbon fiber, how is it that it passes the safety standards? I guess it passes but just isn't as above and beyond as traditional fiber glass.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
The Trav
slowpoke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
The problem with carbon fiber is it is too stiff.
Part of the job of a helmets outer shell is to begin to absorb impact energy. The way it should do that is to flex without breaking. That reduces the energy transferred to the foam middle lining.
The foam lining crushes to further absorb energy (thats why helmets should be replaced after a crash... the foam only crushes once) and then what remains is, hopefully absorbed by the cushy foam inner lining (the part you see when you look inside the helmet).
Carbon fiber is so stiff that it transfers virtually all of the impact energy to the foam middle lining. That removes one layer of absorbtion... not good.

Not that anyone asked but Kevlar has problems bonding with the resin, so delamination and shell failure is possible.
this is funny, because i can stand on my shoei rf1k and it doesnt move (fiberglass), yet the joe rocket carbon i have, i can flex with my hands... im thinking the fiberglass is more stiff?
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Both are solidified w resin.

The foam is what protects from impact, the outer shell merely holds the foam together from distorting form on hard impact.

yes, resin has a tendency to crack. Quality in production would account for the differences between manufactorers.

As for the safety tests, the actual passing restrictions are minimal, all things considered.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
this is funny, because i can stand on my shoei rf1k and it doesnt move (fiberglass), yet the joe rocket carbon i have, i can flex with my hands... im thinking the fiberglass is more stiff?
Fiberglass is a different ball of wax than carbon fiber. As mentioned carbon fiber composites are stiffer, but this is per unit volume. Various factors can make a fiberglass helmet flex less than a carbon fiber. A really easy way to see this is: aluminum foil flexes easier than a piece of wood, but is much stiffer than the wood is per area (if you have dirty thought from my analogy you have issues).
Kevlar readily absorbs water which can negate any weight savings from its increased strength and toughness.
Carbon is also not as tough. By tough I mean the area under a stress strain curve. Load a material and it will stretch. As it moves the load must be increased to stretch it more. Carbon needs a very high load to make it move, but doesn't stretch very far before it breaks (as compared to fiberglass). I haven't looked too hard into the pros and cons of carbon for crash protection, but any helmet is way better than none.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
The Trav
slowpoke

i understand all that, my comment was towards the way the helmets that i have compare to each other. the carbon one seems "soft" if you will. the fiberglass seems rock hard.

this being said, if i go down; i want to be wearing my fiberglass shoei.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
crzy88

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Fiberglass is a different ball of wax than carbon fiber. As mentioned carbon fiber composites are stiffer, but this is per unit volume. Various factors can make a fiberglass helmet flex less than a carbon fiber. A really easy way to see this is: aluminum foil flexes easier than a piece of wood, but is much stiffer than the wood is per area (if you have dirty thought from my analogy you have issues).
Kevlar readily absorbs water which can negate any weight savings from its increased strength and toughness.
Carbon is also not as tough. By tough I mean the area under a stress strain curve. Load a material and it will stretch. As it moves the load must be increased to stretch it more. Carbon needs a very high load to make it move, but doesn't stretch very far before it breaks (as compared to fiberglass). I haven't looked too hard into the pros and cons of carbon for crash protection, but any helmet is way better than none.

this takes me back to my materials class. You make quite a few good points. I'm sure that whatever the case is a good quality helmet will protect you. thanks for the insight guys.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Shinyman

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Vemar makes a carbon fiber helmet.
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #15
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Experience: 10+ years

carbon fiber has enormous TENSILE strength, but is not the best material for an item that can encounter shearing,twisting, or abrasiveness. all at the same time.

not saying that it is not recommended. it's up there, just simply is not THE best material on the market.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote